Is there a limit cap on M.2 SSD NVME for laptops?

Hello again, can someone confirm if its true that every laptop has a maximum capacity for PCIE and SATA?

I contacted Asus Directly and this was there reply

image.thumb.png.ba31baed395326f3d81ec22923d90f42.png

I know that it comes directly from ASUS so it must be true but upon researching more about the matter, some says that you can put a higher capacity SSD and it wont matter (others even put 2tb M.2 SSD on a laptop that the manufacturer says has only a 1Ttb Max Capacity, and so on)

Now I'm even more confused and disappointed that there is actually a limit where I haven't read something like this (from my SSD research atleast) before ASUS brought it up.

2 minutes ago, demwell said:

Hello again, can someone confirm if its true that every laptop has a maximum capacity for PCIE and SATA?

I contacted Asus Directly and this was there reply

image.thumb.png.ba31baed395326f3d81ec22923d90f42.png

I know that it comes directly from ASUS so it must be true but upon researching more about the matter, some says that you can put a higher capacity SSD and it wont matter (others even put 2tb M.2 SSD on a laptop that the manufacturer says has only a 1Ttb Max Capacity, and so on)

Now I'm even more confused and disappointed that there is actually a limit where I haven't read something like this (from my SSD research atleast) before ASUS brought it up.

I think they mean the SSDs that come with the laptop. Not ones you put in yourself. I know that ram is limited, but I dont think storage is.

Well if your ssd fits then theres no cap

Though if you are gonna go for a thicc one with 4 or more tb then thats when clearence might be an issue, otherwise skys the limit

I've never heard of this, a storage device is a storage device and if your OS and filesystem supports the capactiy, that's what should matter. RAM can be limited, but not NVME storage.

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT

I suspect it's what Asus offers as options when you order the laptop. They probably only offer that laptop series with 256 and 512 GB SSDs, and you can't order it with a bigger size. But, you can do it yourself and install something bigger. 

There's no reason why a SSD would be limited to 512 GB, modern bioses can handle even hundreds of terrabytes in storage. 

Can't Thank you guys enough. This site is great, glad I found it.

• 10 months later...

Thank you everyone for your info I got a razer and found this online. so can I still put a sabrent rocket 4 plus 8 tb in the open m.2.

m.2.PNG

The disk space sizes (up to 4 TB on the page) are usually not limitations in the BIOS or hardware limitations, but more like  "we only sell up to 4 TB SSDs in our shop" or "we only offer as an option up to 4 TB SSDs" or it's possible at the time when the page was written, maybe only up to 4 TB drives were available. 

Now who knows if Razer for some reason added special code to consider faulty or bad any SSD with capacity higher than 4 TB? I don't know. 

It's a different thing with DDR4 memory, where there's limits like number of slots, how much power can go to ram sticks, how many tiny chips can be on the ram stick, how many such tiny chips can the processor "interact" with