issues with 3080ti when connect to home av sound system

leeroy2020

guys this is driving me insane. previous set up

msi gaming m5

evga 1080

2 x 1440 monitors connected via display port

1x lg 65 inch 120 hz gsync tv connected via correct 48gps hdmi cable

1x onkyo 696 home av system, conected vid display port to hdmi cable - giving hdmi which then connected to a hdmi port on home av system I USE THIS TO GET SOUND FROM MY PC TO HOME AV SYSTEM TOPLAY MUSIC.

all the above worked fine and still does work fine to this day.

i recently got a 3080ti and simply swapped out the 1080 and plugged in the 3080ti, i get 4k 120 fps hdr etc etc no issues it all works.

however when i turn my av on or off it crashes my pc, when i turn my lg tv on or off it also crashes my pc!

i thought this was a faulty 3080ti so swapped it out for a completely different brand of 3080ti and it still crashed my pc when i turn on the lg tv or turn it off or turn on the av on or off, this is insane

the only way the equipment all works togther is if i turn the lg and av on then boot my pc, everything works untill i siwitch the lg or av off it well then crash and freeze my pc and only a hard reset will fix it

ive narrowed the issue down to the av system causing this, as wehn i disconnect the hdmi all issues are fixed and i can turn on and off the lg multiple times just fine

im guessing something has changed with the 3080ti and the 1080s - remember im using a display port to hdmi cable (as i only have 1 hdmi port on the 1080 and 3080i, i simply use this cable toget sound from the gpu to the av

have they changed the spec of display port on the 3080ti to that of the 1080? as it snow impossible for me to send audio to the av from my gpu because when i turn the lg or av on or off it just crashes my pc.

please dont tell me to use optical or phono cable to get the sound to my av, i know all about this way, but these are old style of connection and do not support all the latest sound formats

this is clearly a issue wih the 3080ti as i have 2 of them from different manufacres and they both crash my pc

can someone please tell me whats going on here? as the 3080ti is totaly useess to me if i cant get sound from it to my av system

this is driving me insane!

Could be that the cable plainly gone bad.

I had that several times this year at work, where out of nowhere 20 buck hdmi to dsp cable went kaputt.

*shrug*

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

not the cable as it works fine with the 1080, but thanks for trying to help

im about to buy a display port 1.4 to hdmi cable too see if this fixes the issue, im trying to see if the 3080 cards are using a different display port standard to the 1080 serries

50 minutes ago, leeroy2020 said:

not the cable as it works fine with the 1080, but thanks for trying to help

im about to buy a display port 1.4 to hdmi cable too see if this fixes the issue, im trying to see if the 3080 cards are using a different display port standard to the 1080 serries

They do, that could solve the issue but it could also be a driver problem if that doesn't fix it.

little update, yesterday i ordered a dp to hdmi passive adapter, it arrived earlier i used this device and a spare hdmi cable i had lying arround and so far its working fine after ive powered on and off the lg and avr multiple times

will continue testing for next few days.

as i now have 2 3080ti i need to decide what one to return !