Help! PC freezes intermitantly. Have been unable to find out what's wrong with it.

Galazikon

First time poster here. I've been trying to figure this problem out for months without any luck myself. My system freezes strangely where I can still interact with it for a time, however I know the moment it happens as the system clock stops and task manager freezes (the graphs, numbers, etc don't continue to update). After a time it will completely freeze and I can no longer move my mouse. Waiting for up to 24hours does not resolve it, nor does unplugging and plugging back in various devices. I have tried resetting everything to stock, de-fragging the disk multiple times, re-seating RAM, CPU (and cooler), GPU, and all cables. In the time that it's been happening I have upgraded my PSU to a 1000W from a 7-8 year old 750W, upgraded my cooler from the stock ryzen cooler to a 240mm NZXT AIO, and moved to a case with more airflow. I recently reinstalled windows with a USB. I tried looking at my system event viewer logs, but am not too familiar with the interface, however, there were no events that occur near or at the times of the crashes (I know the precise times as the clock freezes). The only things I can think of trying now are running stress tests to determine the culprit as I don't have extra components to swap in. Please help!

My specs:

- Ryzen 7 2700x (stock speeds - 3.70 GHz)

- MSI X470 Gaming Pro

- 2 x 8 GB Corsair RGB Vengence 3200 MHz (running at 2133 MHz)

- Gigabyte 2070 Super 8GB (stock OC settings)

- Corsair HX1000W 80+ Platinus

- NZXT 240mm AIO.

Install memtest86 to the USB and let it run for a few hours minimum. Unplug the Win-OS drive. If memtest throws up any errors, report back here.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

On 8/3/2021 at 1:59 AM, Dutch_Master said:

Install memtest86 to the USB and let it run for a few hours minimum. Unplug the Win-OS drive. If memtest throws up any errors, report back here.

Thanks for the advice. I ran it through fully on both sticks together and each separately to find out which one made it fail the test. The errors for the bad stick were as follows: test 6 - 2 errors, test 7 - 1 error, test 8 - 3 errors, test 9 - 3 errors. The test for both sticks together had errors for the same test numbers. I took some pictures of the summaries which I could post if those help. So is that stick of RAM just E-waste at this point then?

Probably e-waste, yes. For now, try running the PC on that single, good RAM stick and see if it's stable and whether or not the errors return.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

15 hours ago, Dutch_Master said:

Probably e-waste, yes. For now, try running the PC on that single, good RAM stick and see if it's stable and whether or not the errors return.

Ok, thanks. Will do. It's been running for 1 day 14 hours so far with no problems, but it does sometimes take a few days to crash. I'll update if it does crash again. Thanks again for your help!