Pc for a bit of gaming/schoolwork

BEFORE YOU SAY "YOU CANT GET ANYTHING GREAT FOR THAT BUDGET" I know that i cant get much but i need something

Budget (including currency):
200$ CAD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mainly for things like gaming and doing some schoolwork

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):
I want to be able to play TF2 and some other games like that around 720p (at medium/low settings)
I already have a graphics card and sata storage drives
I already have a monitor
I already have a keyboard and mouse

I want to upgrade to something with at least a quad core with 8gb of ram

What graphics card and what storage device?

I need to know this because I can't suggest anything otherwise.

Either way no way you'll buy something new here. At best a older i7 dell,hp,... prebuilt. So basically you buy this system and replace it when the cpu is not cutting it any more.

But again before I recommend anything I need to know what you have. What are you upgrading from? What are you reusing? Not just a general part but the specific parts name.

Buy some used lga 775 optiplex like 380 or 780, upgrade cpu to q6600 and bsel to 3ghz, add a 4gb stick of ram for6/8gb ram

Idk if you can even get a gpu that isnt a literal peice of shit but i guess aim for the gtx 400-600 series and hd 5000-7000 series gpus

Just now, jaslion said:

What graphics card and what storage device?

I need to know this because I can't suggest anything otherwise.

Either way no way you'll buy something new here. At best a older i7 dell,hp,... prebuilt. So basically you buy this system and replace it when the cpu is not cutting it any more.

But again before I recommend anything I need to know what you have. What are you upgrading from? What are you reusing? Not just a general part but the specific parts name.

my current setup is using :
7gb ddr2 ram
Intel Xeon 5130 Dual core 2ghz
MSI Gt 710 2gb
225gb Kingston SSD

Im thinking of reusing my GT 710 and my SSD until i get something better

Hi, from what I understand you have a computer at this moment. Since your budget is so tight, I don't think wasting it on old/cheapest available hardware will do you any good. Try to save up and wait a bit more. You would surely regret spending this money later on. 

Just now, Kaleb Janzen said:

7gb ddr2 ram
MSI Gt 710 2gb
225gb Kingston SSD

And what games are you hoping to play? What is the problem with the current system for school work?

I mean sure you can get a ryzen 5950x but that gt710 won't game better at all. Tf2 will not run better the gt710 simply just sucks too much.

2 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Buy some used lga 775 optiplex like 380 or 780, upgrade cpu to q6600 and bsel to 3ghz, add a 4gb stick of ram for6/8gb ram

Idk if you can even get a gpu that isnt a literal peice of shit but i guess aim for the gtx 400-600 series and hd 5000-7000 series gpus

What? Why some ancient lga 775 thing? 200 cad easily gets you a 3rd or 4th gen i7 with a tiny bit of looking around?

2 minutes ago, Kaleb Janzen said:

7gb ddr2 ram
MSI Gt 710 2gb
225gb Kingston SSD

Dual socket or single socket?

Modified to fit lga 775 or is your board an lga 771?

Ecc ram?

1 minute ago, Konrad_K said:

Hi, from what I understand you have a computer at this moment. Since your budget is so tight, I don't think wasting it on old/cheapest available hardware will do you any good. Try to save up and wait a bit more. You would surely regret spending this money later on. 

This I totally agree on. Yeah a 3rd gen i7 system is nice and all but those are becoming the edge of what can play current games so if you ever want to play something new by the time you'll probably have the money this system might no longer play the newest games stable or just at all.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

And what games are you hoping to play? What is the problem with the current system for school work?

I mean sure you can get a ryzen 5950x but that gt710 won't game better at all. Tf2 will not run better the gt710 simply just sucks too much.

well im aiming to play source engine games such as Team Fortress 2 and maybe if possible GTA V

Just now, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Dual socket or single socket?

Modified to fit lga 775 or is your board an lga 771?

Ecc ram?

1.Dual socket motherboard
2.Not sure
3.I believe so

2.Not sure
3.I believe so

Buy 2 xeon e/x5450, l/e5430 or l5408 and use setfsb to overclock them

Most likeley ecc ram but 7gb should be fine

Now focus on the gpu

1 minute ago, Kaleb Janzen said:

well im aiming to play source engine games such as Team Fortress 2 and maybe if possible GTA V

Tf2 will still run like it runs now and gta V is out of the question at 720p.

2.Not sure
3.I believe so

I know they are giving advice but really don't waste money on this old well sorry to say piece of junk any more. It's around 14 years old by now which is beyond ancient for a computer.

The best you can do is do what I recommend and get a decent base of a used system where you can then add on to it. My suggestion of a 3rd or 4th gen i7 TOWER (not sff, usff none of those thin ones) + later small upgrade to a gtx 1050 class card would get you the furthest and actually let you play gta V because NOT A SINGLE CPU ON YOUR CURRENT PLATFORM WILL. Same goes for lga 775.

Just now, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Buy 2 xeon e/x5450, l/e5430 or l5408 and use setfsb to overclock them

Most likeley ecc ram but 7gb should be fine

Now focus on the gpu

Games only see 1 node so 1 cpu dual cpu is wasted and gta V does NOT run well at all on a quad core of that age. At launch it was ok but todays gta V runs terrible on it. Yes even oc'd q6600's to 3.6 do not at all keep 30fps stable.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Tf2 will still run like it runs now and gta V is out of the question at 720p.

I know they are giving advice but really don't waste money on this old well sorry to say piece of junk any more. It's around 14 years old by now which is beyond ancient for a computer.

The best you can do is do what I recommend and get a decent base of a used system where you can then add on to it. My suggestion of a 3rd or 4th gen i7 TOWER (not sff, usff none of those thin ones) + later small upgrade to a gtx 1050 class card would get you the furthest and actually let you play gta V because NOT A SINGLE CPU ON YOUR CURRENT PLATFORM WILL. Same goes for lga 775.

i am aware my current pc is an old piece of crap

I have tried looking around for a used system but im not having any luck or im just not looking right

6 minutes ago, Kaleb Janzen said:

i am aware my current pc is an old piece of crap

I have tried looking around for a used system but im not having any luck or im just not looking right

Ebay is your friend here. Like for real. I just looked up i7 3770 and boom first result

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/294157801318?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item447d2bd766:g:OhgAAOSwjUNgkHMC&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAACgPYe5NmHp%2B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsS%2Fwocn770hnih0B3mVHNZ5PZxXLcygPtSigxTIHWbk5NhFeDpiZ3Payma0KvXOTvXRuaXr07CWb1aNcRlISLDIcTLg5nzGLiKgpQ7FgIEfEGTw9nwptGLkgcTO8pe5GAWhfvQPo4ugH93G%2FSlfsYBB2PPFceyriXmwYPl%2BXXqSglaGzK0q4Wh7YOn29ZcnwUrSNkEkTsVv2LbCShv4Cf146d5%2Fpk0q5IaVHtI04oalBB7wBnDKxDzd9RUe5u6xb0Aq3mKtAZMvbfQlYMwRGrEjAldBfNOjP3GmXqzWVgDczWx7Yjkli7Yo87aY7QFnv8EvImP8uf2dE0vhQVzJ%2BGO9MZLVS2pWoc8iLeNGFkmcRxuOt%2FmIHrC882iRd%2BHrB85ZePErL4dYLwucSEZSUYILi96LgjaZMKOTrD3%2FpvVNH1bYhJ5OcyVhP4wLlO%2FYnkYNBXE3lOGiPEZebozh%2BBnLRLIX%2F%2BecYZbReaXYzbJhHnkK8gg1lDLbs%2FeSCnU4N09xBR3XV5MrrWp30Arj7jP9vFrXnLPtUuyI6gAryVzux%2ByRp%2FLuz5Brn0e7vMQT%2BCgVAHqN4wmGc%2FCI22wfdue6PjiQ0f7WgBhGInv8130Lzku9HeHfURrbMMbImohTLT3JAgenBz66oE9I6X%2B%2FT9A7X1kaeMRN3OZooIFHxnQAcTvau3wAl9MCRNMiyAAfAuobDjXd2ijxiEIqn6OvoZMpMH%2BNl%2FXElUCLV3GIDEFwYSJnBJS8BKhmuDPuXXLLJMCWH%2Bo30eikA2PgK6%2F6bnHv5VTKIWyMo7U1Ip5tJKupJo%3D|ampid%3APL_CLK|clp%3A2334524

Sure it's not the greatest and I have no clue about shipping because well duhh I don't live there and thus it doesn't calculate but this is more of a look there are options out there that don't involve upgrading a pc that can't play what you want even when upgraded to the max.

Also you guys have that thing lmg went to for recycling computers and a couple others like it there. Those can have GREAT deals for systems like this and often have old gpu's for really cheap too. Keep in mind that the psu in this dell is ONLY GOOD ENOUGH FOR CARDS THAT REQUIRE SLOT POWER ONLY no extra 6 or 8 pin connection. Still leaves you with plenty of options that will easily get gta V and of course tf2 up and running at 720p 60fps no problem.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Ebay is your friend here. Like for real. I just looked up i7 3770 and boom first result

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/294157801318?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item447d2bd766:g:OhgAAOSwjUNgkHMC&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAACgPYe5NmHp%2B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsS%2Fwocn770hnih0B3mVHNZ5PZxXLcygPtSigxTIHWbk5NhFeDpiZ3Payma0KvXOTvXRuaXr07CWb1aNcRlISLDIcTLg5nzGLiKgpQ7FgIEfEGTw9nwptGLkgcTO8pe5GAWhfvQPo4ugH93G%2FSlfsYBB2PPFceyriXmwYPl%2BXXqSglaGzK0q4Wh7YOn29ZcnwUrSNkEkTsVv2LbCShv4Cf146d5%2Fpk0q5IaVHtI04oalBB7wBnDKxDzd9RUe5u6xb0Aq3mKtAZMvbfQlYMwRGrEjAldBfNOjP3GmXqzWVgDczWx7Yjkli7Yo87aY7QFnv8EvImP8uf2dE0vhQVzJ%2BGO9MZLVS2pWoc8iLeNGFkmcRxuOt%2FmIHrC882iRd%2BHrB85ZePErL4dYLwucSEZSUYILi96LgjaZMKOTrD3%2FpvVNH1bYhJ5OcyVhP4wLlO%2FYnkYNBXE3lOGiPEZebozh%2BBnLRLIX%2F%2BecYZbReaXYzbJhHnkK8gg1lDLbs%2FeSCnU4N09xBR3XV5MrrWp30Arj7jP9vFrXnLPtUuyI6gAryVzux%2ByRp%2FLuz5Brn0e7vMQT%2BCgVAHqN4wmGc%2FCI22wfdue6PjiQ0f7WgBhGInv8130Lzku9HeHfURrbMMbImohTLT3JAgenBz66oE9I6X%2B%2FT9A7X1kaeMRN3OZooIFHxnQAcTvau3wAl9MCRNMiyAAfAuobDjXd2ijxiEIqn6OvoZMpMH%2BNl%2FXElUCLV3GIDEFwYSJnBJS8BKhmuDPuXXLLJMCWH%2Bo30eikA2PgK6%2F6bnHv5VTKIWyMo7U1Ip5tJKupJo%3D|ampid%3APL_CLK|clp%3A2334524

Sure it's not the greatest and I have no clue about shipping because well duhh I don't live there and thus it doesn't calculate but this is more of a look there are options out there that don't involve upgrading a pc that can't play what you want even when upgraded to the max.

Also you guys have geeksquad and a couple others like it there. Those can have GREAT deals for systems like this and often have old gpu's for really cheap too. Keep in mind that the psu in this dell is ONLY GOOD ENOUGH FOR CARDS THAT REQUIRE SLOT POWER ONLY no extra 6 or 8 pin connection. Still leaves you with plenty of options that will easily get gta V and of course tf2 up and running at 720p 60fps no problem.

with shipping its 400$
bruh

with shipping its 400$
bruh

As I said I cannot know that so this is up to you to find. Also you have kijiji, craigslist,... and so many more local focused sites available so just go look around a bit for a little while and see what is on offer. Yes it might take a week but hey at least you'll have something that can actually play games you want instead of well putting racing stripes on your current system :p.