Won't power-on after new mobo & CPU (MSI B550 Gaming Edge WiFi)

Iron Chef

Over the weekend, I upgraded my old rig with a new mobo and CPU. So the new core parts are:

• Mobo: MSI B550 Gaming Edge WiFi
  • CPU: AMD 5600X
  • GPU: Geforce GTX 1060
  • RAM: G.skill Ripjaws 4x8GB sticks
  • PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2  (650 watts)

Before putting on any components (CPU, RAM), I updated the BIOS to via its "Flash BIOS button", according to this video.

• The process seemed to be successful.
  • The process calls for plugging in just the 8-pin CPU connector and the 24-pin ATX mobo connector.

But afterwards, after plugging in everything else , the damn thing wouldn't turn on at all (no signs of power, no lighting on mobo, no fans, no noise, never-mind POST). Here's a couple things I already tried:

• Tested the PSU itself with paper clip trick - it works fine (its fan spin, as does an accessory fan).
  • Tried to jumper the mobo's Power Switch pins directly - wouldn't turn on.
  • Cleared the CMOS / Reset BIOS with jumper, then tried the power pins - no good.

The ONLY sign of life I see from the mobo, is that when I put a USB stick onto the back panel's "Flash BIOS port", the stick's built-in activity indicator lights up. 

• No other USB port will make it light up.
  • So it doesn't appear completely dead, but looks pretty much dead.

Any thoughts or advice?

• Do I have a bad mobo?
  • Maybe the 650W PSU is too weak? (but the AMD 5600X should draw less power than the Intel Skylake i7 it's replacing)
  • Is it possible that the Flash BIOS process bricked it?
  • I'm tempted to try it again, but it's against documentation to do it while CPU and RAM (or anything) is there.
  • Anything else I could try before ordering a replacement board?

Just now, Iron Chef said:

But afterwards, after plugging in everything else , the damn thing wouldn't turn on at all (no signs of power, no lighting on mobo, no fans, no noise, never-mind POST).

This might sound stupid, but I've seen it happen to people... is you power button working / still connected to the header on the mobo?

image.png.a5fee6abf0950bb7c59423029ed080c6.png

If the button is defective try using a screwdriver to manually bridge the + & - on the Power Switch header for a moment.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

14 minutes ago, Iron Chef said:
  • I'm tempted to try it again, but it's against documentation to do it while CPU and RAM (or anything) is there.

Pull out the ram and CPU and reflash it before starting the RMA.

Did the LED flash as per the instructions when doing the flashback? Did it appear to complete correctly? My guess is that it failed and the board is actually fine, just in need of a proper bios flash.

3 minutes ago, Biohazard777 said:

This might sound stupid, but I've seen it happen to people... is you power button working / still connected to the header on the mobo?

If the button is defective try using a screwdriver to manually bridge the + & - on the Power Switch header for a moment.

Yup tried it - that's what I meant by "jumper the mobo's Power Switch pins directly"

Just now, Iron Chef said:

Yup tried it - that's what I meant by "jumper the mobo's Power Switch pins directly"

Oh sorry, didn't see that part, my bad.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

9 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Pull out the ram and CPU and reflash it before starting the RMA.

Did the LED flash as per the instructions when doing the flashback? Did it appear to complete correctly? My guess is that it failed and the board is actually fine, just in need of a proper bios flash.

Yeah the LED flashed and behaved according to the video and the user manual.

I'll do that again as a last resort before sending it in - removing the heat sink + fan is major PIA.

But first, I'll try to get guidance directly from MSI support and see if they have any ideas (in addition to anything from this thread) 

1 minute ago, Biohazard777 said:

Oh sorry, didn't see that part, my bad.

No worries! And thanks for posting a screenshot of that page in the manual. Could help clarify other things later in this thread.

32 minutes ago, Iron Chef said:

Over the weekend, I upgraded my old rig with a new mobo and CPU. So the new core parts are:

• Mobo: MSI B550 Gaming Edge WiFi
  • CPU: AMD 5600X
  • GPU: Geforce GTX 1060
  • RAM: G.skill Ripjaws 4x8GB sticks
  • PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2  (650 watts)

Before putting on any components (CPU, RAM), I updated the BIOS to via its "Flash BIOS button", according to this video.

• The process seemed to be successful.
  • The process calls for plugging in just the 8-pin CPU connector and the 24-pin ATX mobo connector.

But afterwards, after plugging in everything else , the damn thing wouldn't turn on at all (no signs of power, no lighting on mobo, no fans, no noise, never-mind POST). Here's a couple things I already tried:

• Tested the PSU itself with paper clip trick - it works fine (its fan spin, as does an accessory fan).
  • Tried to jumper the mobo's Power Switch pins directly - wouldn't turn on.
  • Cleared the CMOS / Reset BIOS with jumper, then tried the power pins - no good.

The ONLY sign of life I see from the mobo, is that when I put a USB stick onto the back panel's "Flash BIOS port", the stick's built-in activity indicator lights up. 

• No other USB port will make it light up.
  • So it doesn't appear completely dead, but looks pretty much dead.

Any thoughts or advice?

• Do I have a bad mobo?
  • Maybe the 650W PSU is too weak? (but the AMD 5600X should draw less power than the Intel Skylake i7 it's replacing)
  • Is it possible that the Flash BIOS process bricked it?

Ok this had happened to me and It sounds stupid but try swapping the cable you put on the gpu to the one on the cpu power. They look the same and that might be the problem

Just talked to MSI support - they just suggested RMA right away LOL, didn't even offer any additional things to try. 

I'm gonna try to reflash it one more time. 

Really unfortunate =(