Is my PSU moody? PC wont start at all.... sometimes

san-dia

Couple days ago my pc didnt want to turn on, at all. But it was getting power since a usb hub had its led on

Tested it without the power stabilizer and on different outlets with no luck

Later it did turn on, I had unplugged most things, one of them was a crappy old displayport (maybe shorting?). And I tested to see it turn on and off and worked normally, also I dusted it off and reconected all the psu cables

The next day it was the same problem again. Maybe the displayport cable or some cable IS shorted, so I tested different combinatios to see if one cable or port was shorting, but it was kind off random wether it turned on or not

ATM it is working normally
But now my usb ports lost conection when I plugged my mouse to charge

Im so confused, I dont know how to replicate the *not turning on* issue, and i dont know if the USB ports thingy has something to do, are they shorted? can they short? 

Thanks in advance

SPECS:

R7 2700x

1060 6gb

asrock B450 pro4

PSU coolermaster elite v3 500w

Yes they can short. Could be a psu issue could also be a motherboard issue. There are 2 pins on a psu you can short to power test it if you want to do that but if you have a multimeter I would recommend testing for + and -12 and 5 Volts on the proper connectors. But again it’s probably a short on the motherboard or something plugged into it.

4 hours ago, Caroline said:

Define power stabilizer. Is it just a thick power strip or an industrial model? 

Its that box with a measuring needle, that has a thick cable and 4 extra outlets . And protects your devices from power surges

(sorry i dont know to translate the word "Regulador de Voltaje")

15 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

Yes they can short. Could be a psu issue could also be a motherboard issue. There are 2 pins on a psu you can short to power test it if you want to do that but if you have a multimeter I would recommend testing for + and -12 and 5 Volts on the proper connectors. But again it’s probably a short on the motherboard or something plugged into it.

Well, the PSU is working fine, I have one of those PSU jumpers, and it runs without a problem

I could get a multimeter, but I dont understand what im supposed to measure, if there is a detailed tutorial I could give it a try and check if the PSU is starting to fail

If there is something on the motherboard shorting, how could I find it? Or isolate the problem

Just now, san-dia said:

Well, the PSU is working fine, I have one of those PSU jumpers, and it runs without a problem

I could get a multimeter, but I dont understand what im supposed to measure, if there is a detailed tutorial I could give it a try and check if the PSU is starting to fail

If there is something on the motherboard shorting, how could I find it? Or isolate the problem

Not really a way to isolate it or test without a multimeter... Just look for the right voltages on the right pinouts, or take it to a pc repair place and they can test it for usually a small fee.

1 minute ago, Mel0nMan said:

"take it to a pc repair place and they can test it for usually a small fee."

I guess that would be a good idea

I'll go with that and give an update after i do it..... maybe next week

Also, maybe this info is a little too late, but long before this issue (but short after I got the monitor with the crappy displayport), sometimes my monitors would go black and then back on, could it be related? Maybe something about the broken cable and/or my gpu is the one shorting (if it is shorting)

I guess I should have it tested

4 minutes ago, san-dia said:

I guess that would be a good idea

I'll go with that and give an update after i do it..... maybe next week

Also, maybe this info is a little too late, but long before this issue (but short after I got the monitor with the crappy displayport), sometimes my monitors would go black and then back on, could it be related? Maybe something about the broken cable and/or my gpu is the one shorting (if it is shorting)

I guess I should have it tested

Ah, that could be the issue... It could be a power issue though, try buying an isolating power strip also known as power conditioner...