Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is this PSU really that bad? (Seasonic S12III 550w)

Heres the link for newegg https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-s12iii-bronze-series-ssr-550gb3-550w/p/N82E16817151227

This PSU is rated D Tier (Only for use in cheap iGPU systems) but I don't really get why.  Also I think it is worth noting that I think that seasonic has redone/fixed  alot of the problems.   My unit does not have any coil whine like the Newegg reviews were complaining about (an no new reviews since then have complained about this) and even after a power surge, it is running just fine (but I did have a surge protecter) .  So what do you guys think? Is this PSU really that bad.  And also is it normal for manufactures to fix problems with a product and keep the same SKU?

S12iii -- using an inferior secondary topology to split the 12v into minor rails (quite old), missing OTP, not claiming OCP on any rail, does not have UVP, and OVP is "implemented" as the operating limitation of the Grenergy GR8313 supervisor IC..

Seasonic produces the higher end lineups in house, they send S12iii to RSY to be made.

16 minutes ago, xXGaming123 said:

And also is it normal for manufactures to fix problems with a product and keep the same SKU?

Yes, absolutely.

1 hour ago, xXGaming123 said:

Also I think it is worth noting that I think that seasonic has redone/fixed  alot of the problems

What do you mean?
afaik, they did not change anything.

My unit does not have any coil whine like the Newegg reviews were complaining about

The absence of coil whine isn't proof of good quality (nor is its presence an indication of poor quality).

Is this PSU really that bad.

Sadly, yes.

is it normal for manufactures to fix problems with a product

The problem with the s12iii is that it's mediocre by design.
They made it like this on purpose, there really isn't any problem to fix there.
(It's not dirt cheap for no reason)

2 minutes ago, xXGaming123 said:

So I shouldn't use this PSU with a dGPU?

What dGPU?

Probably something like a R/GTX 1660-2060 super tier, probably a 1660 super or RTX 2060.  Those GPU's should only draw 200-250 watts and my cpu (i9 10900) draws about 200 in cinebench and about 110w in gaming workloads

1 minute ago, xXGaming123 said:

probably a 1660 super or RTX 2060

No, I wouldn't use the s12iii with such GPUs.

2 minutes ago, xXGaming123 said:

Those GPU's should only draw 200-250 watts

Those GPUs draw around 350+ dollars from your wallet these days, it would be crazy to use such expensive hardware with a mediocre unit like that.

Seasonic S12III 550w...I don't think it's even made by Seasonic. Production outsourced.

17 minutes ago, Gorilla Warfare said:

Seasonic S12III 550w...I don't think it's even made by Seasonic. Production outsourced.

No, it isn't made by Seasonic, as posts earlier in the thread say. 

This by itself would not be a cause for concern. Some major PSU brands outsource all their production. 

Friends don't let friends use Userbenchmark. Ban the term "bottleneck." Corps aren't your friends. If the PC does what you need it to do well enough, it's good enough. Don't build the "best" system, build the system that makes you happy. 

Wow how informative , I never said all outsourcing was bad. Just a comment.

1 minute ago, Gorilla Warfare said:

Wow how informative , I never said all outsourcing was bad. Just a comment.

Well, your comment wasn't informative. It just restated info already covered in the thread, so I couldn't see any meaning behind it if it wasn't supposed to imply that the unit being outsource was a black mark against it. 

Many people I talk to have no idea that some of the most popular PSU brands don't do any manufacturing themselves, so I think it's always a point worth emphasizing. 

Friends don't let friends use Userbenchmark. Ban the term "bottleneck." Corps aren't your friends. If the PC does what you need it to do well enough, it's good enough. Don't build the "best" system, build the system that makes you happy. 

1 hour ago, K2K Tech Reviews said:

I like this psu I use it in my system. it's been running well.

And I like corndogs with a sh*t ton of mint mayo on top of em but that doesn't makes them any good for everybody else. 

3 hours ago, xXGaming123 said:

Probably something like a R/GTX 1660-2060 super tier, probably a 1660 super or RTX 2060.  Those GPU's should only draw 200-250 watts and my cpu (i9 10900) draws about 200 in cinebench and about 110w in gaming workloads

Watts aren't everything. If watts were the only important thing to measure PSUs quality then everyone would be using Corsair VS 650s just because they can output 650W.

Honestly what a terrible PSU to use with a 2060S.

Finitude is what the two clock hands indicate as they point towards my cruel destiny. 

No it is not 'that' bad. Statement about IGP is just hyperbole. Trust me there is many people using 2060s with even worse power supplies. If the psu works and you have had no problems with it, its proven itself to be functional and reliable, there is no need to change it. I would only upgrade it if you can find a great deal for a new one.

1 hour ago, zoidzoid said:

No it is not 'that' bad. Statement about IGP is just hyperbole. Trust me there is many people using 2060s with even worse power supplies. If the psu works and you have had no problems with it, its proven itself to be functional and reliable, there is no need to change it. I would only upgrade it if you can find a great deal for a new one.

Thousands of people drive old piece of junk cars without any airbags, no crumple zones and with busted brakes, the fact that these cars still 'work' doesn't make them any safer for their drivers or other people on the road. But ofc It's completely up-to you whether to use a 500$ GPU with a borderline garbage budget PSU that doesn't have half or important protections. Thankfully, a bad PSU isn't not gonna hurt anybody else but you and your PC.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

4 hours ago, zoidzoid said:

Trust me there is many people using 2060s with even worse power supplies.

The fact other people have shot themselves in the dick is not relevant to the question of whether you should shoot yourself in the foot.

If the psu works and you have had no problems with it, its proven itself to be functional and reliable

Everything is functional and reliable right up until it isn't. 

1 hour ago, Middcore said:

The fact other people have shot themselves in the dick is not relevant to the question of whether you should shoot yourself in the foot.

Everything is functional and reliable right up until it isn't. 

Same applies for even the most expensive psu you can buy. Nothing is immune to failure and there is plenty of evidence of this and apparently super safe and super expensive psu failing and damaging parts.

There is very few actual inherently dangerous power supplies. Budget ones may not have the most impressive benchmark results or every modern feature but that doesn't make it dangerous to use.

Unless there is proof this is this a dangerous model and its working fine,  no need to change imo, its proven itself to work fine why risk receiving a new dud? Unless you want to upgrade for the fun of it, want better efficiency, or genuinely need a power upgrade.

On 8/2/2021 at 9:42 PM, xXGaming123 said:

So what do you guys think? Is this PSU really that bad

To reiterate, yes its that bad. 

Budget ones may not have the most impressive benchmark results or every modern feature but that doesn't make it dangerous to use.

Well other than the very lacking protection coverage which makes it specifically prone to not shutting down during loads it cannot handle. 

Its not that its not "impressive", its the fact its just bad. Mostly related to the protection coverage afaik. 

Edit: specifically an issue in regards to the minor rails. 

genuinely need a power upgrade.

He genuinely needs a power upgrade given what PSU is powering his quite costly system.

I wouldn't use that PSU to power a toaster. Don't put your components at risk.

Okay... I get that I probably will have to buy a new PSU if I want to put a GPU into my system.  But just in case anyone was wondering,,, I contacted seasonic about the UVP protection and Minor rail stuff and they said that it has been fixed on all units made after December 2020.  Meaning that the protection issues were fixed (at least that is what they told me).  I also asked about the coil whine and stuff but they again said that it was fixed on all units made after December 2020

6 hours ago, xXGaming123 said:

they said that it has been fixed on all units made after December 2020.

If so, we would like to see some reviews of improved revision, but it's Seasonic so forget about that, no reviews for low-end stuff, there are barely any reviews on S12III overall, not to mention on units with past 2021 manufacturing date. They also still don't mention OCP on the product sheet so i'll believe it when i'll see it.

Just in case anyone from the power supply tier list is reading this.  I checked and sure enough on the box and in the manual uvp and the other protections are listed there is a pic attached IMG_20210804_094904.thumb.jpg.c3442e2bda01b29009059360962a894d.jpg

Just in case anyone from the power supply tier list is reading this.  I checked and sure enough on the box and in the manual uvp and the other protections are listed there is a pic attached

OVP & UVP are listed on the site too, OCP isn't.

47 minutes ago, Juular said:

OVP & UVP are listed on the site too, OCP isn't.

According to another post on this forum
"OCP on 12v is generally only found on PSUs with multiple rails, since OPP can handle a single rail just fine. "

also " is a recommended, but not required protection by ATX. "

This can't be the reason psu is grade d surely....