Upgrade Advice.. is it worth it?

Hi everyone 🙂

Contemplating an upgrade but wish to know whether it is worth it.

Currently have a 8700k, 32Gb 3000mhz RAM & a 3080 FE.

Looking at a Ryzen 5600x with an update to 3600mhz RAM.

It is worth the upgrade? I don't do any productivity, only gaming. Will I see a tangible difference at all?

Many thanks,

Louis

If it were any GPU other than a 3080, I would say no. However, since it is a 3080, you are likely to be a bit CPU bound. Monitor your CPU and GPU usage in games, and if you're GPU drops below 95% usage for more than a second here and there, then you probably should upgrade to a 5600X. Also, you might as well just keep the memory and try to overclock it a little bit to get it to 3200MHz+. If you didn't have memory, yeah get 3600MHz, but since you do, might as well see if you can get it up to within the sweet spot of Ryzen. 

6 minutes ago, louisbs said:

It is worth the upgrade?

depends on you

6 minutes ago, louisbs said:

Will I see a tangible difference at all?

only if you're CPU limited in games, which highly depends on many factor such as what game, what resolution, what FPS etc etc

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

The 8700K is still a very capable gaming chip. Unless you're gaming at 1080p or using medium-low settings, you probably won't notice a difference, even with a 3080. I'd keep saving up for a more substantial upgrade like a 5900X, or wait on a future CPU, or invest in a better monitor if that's at all lacking.

I try most titles 🙂 I have a 32" 1440p 144hz Display. Doom Eternal is lush at Ultra Nightmare settings.

A lot of titles i see the GPU pegged and CPU never at 100%. Most of the time between 40 - 60% with the exception being Flight Sim.

Thanks for your inputs! 

Might as well stay with my 8700k then for a bit 🙂

Money saved LOL