Can I connect a 5V 2.5 HDD from a laptop to my desktop?

Karl Castillo

Can I connect a 12V sata power cable to a 5V 2.5 HDD from a laptop to connect it on my pc? (edited)

Edited by Karl Castillo
Clarification

What laptop That you have has a molex power for its internal hdd? I’ve got nearly 15yo ones that use Sata

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

I’ve got nearly 25yo ones that use Sata

lolwut, sata was announced in 2000 and 1.0 released in 2003 😂

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

My bad, let me clarify my question once more. Can I connect a 12V sata power cable to a 5V 2.5 HDD from a laptop to connect it on my pc?

1 minute ago, Karl Castillo said:

My bad, let me clarify my question once more. Can I connect a 12V sata power cable to a 5V 2.5 HDD from a laptop to connect it on my pc?

If it's a sata 2.5" drive, yes. Sata power carries 3.3v, 5v, and 12v, the drive will run happily off just 5v. SSDs also run on 5v only.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

15 minutes ago, Karl Castillo said:

Can I connect a 5V 2.5 HDD from a laptop to my desktop even though the molex pins are rated for 12V?

Yes you can. The issue is in other direction if you want to put a desktop HDD that runs at 12V and stick it in laptop. Connector is the same, but pins aren't as laptops usually lack 12V entirely on SATA power connectors.

It's why Velociraptor drives couldn't be fit into laptops even if they could physically go. They required 12V at 2,5" format. SATA drives are happy with 5V which is why they work everywhere no problem.

Reason for this is mostly because laptops are powered from battery at lower voltage, stepping it far up is a huge loss and would require a lot of extra circuitry. So they just use 5V which is used across many things including USB ports (which also run at 5V).

4 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

lolwut, sata was announced in 2000 and 1.0 released in 2003 😂

15yo* 

I’ll go fix that

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Karl Castillo said:

Yes. Sata has 12v and 5v, and 3.3v iirc, it a a standard conector

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Some guys told me I have to remove the yellow wire (12V) for not to toast my HDD, is it really necessary?

Just now, RejZoR said:

Reason for this is mostly because laptops are powered from battery at lower voltage, stepping it far up is a huge loss and would require a lot of extra circuitry. So they just use 5V which is used across many things including USB ports (which also run at 5V).

Afaik the reason is that the drive being physically smaller and having lighter (and often fewer) platters means it doesn't require 12v to spin the motor, 5v is sufficient. As for stepping it up from 5v, not only can that be made very efficient with a constant current load to build your boost converter around (>85-90%), but you can always just step it down directly from the battery's voltage (often 18-20V).

2 minutes ago, Karl Castillo said:

Some guys told me I have to remove the yellow wire (12V) for not to toast my HDD, is it really necessary?

That guy is an idiot. You're fine.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

4 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

15yo* 

I’ll go fix that

image.png.449057df536a7b7c5d7bdcf7fc87a17e.png

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

8 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

image.png.449057df536a7b7c5d7bdcf7fc87a17e.png

yes, thats how math works. But it came out after 2003 so about 15yo is accurate

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler