Installed new RAM and now none of the sticks work (Critical_Process_Died) BSOD

Jayson5584

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600

Motherboard: ASUS B450 F

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz 8x2

GPU: msi 1660ti

Storage: Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 2TB

Yesterday I got two new sticks of the same exact type of memory so I could upgrade to 32gigs. Immediately after installing I got a blue screen on boot that said (CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED). After that I completely turned off the computer and removed the new sticks, keeping the old sticks in, and I got the same blue screen on boot. I changed the DOCP from 3200 back to auto and no luck. I tried using each stick on its own in every slot with no luck, even tried combinations of 2 sticks. I thought it might be my ssd so I reinstalled it in the second m.2 slot and it didn’t fix anything, so I put it back in its original slot. I can’t boot into safe mode, I can’t delete updates or reset the PC, I tried booting a repair disk and a malware recovery disk via usb and they freeze and give errors. I genuinely have no clue what to do and this has been my life for over 24 hours now.

reset the bios and return the machine to it's original configuration hardware wise

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

reset the bios and return the machine to it's original configuration hardware wise

I did a CMOS reset and it didn’t fix the issue. Put the original ram back in the machine and still got the same Blue Screen Error unfortunately 

install a single stick of the previous ram ,THEN reset the bios. allow the machine a few boots to sort out the configuration.

if that does nothing then remove extra hardware like all the drives to see if the machine stabilizes from the blue screen

If none of that things worked, return the sticks and get new ones (which doesn't seem to be the solution). If it stills the same I would be scaried

13 minutes ago, emosun said:

install a single stick of the previous ram ,THEN reset the bios. allow the machine a few boots to sort out the configuration.

if that does nothing then remove extra hardware like all the drives to see if the machine stabilizes from the blue screen

No luck 😞. Reset BIOS with the one stick and booted up a few times now and still getting the same error on boot. Nothing plugged in besides mouse and keyboard

Try to reinstall windows in uefi mode via USB, then after installing go to your bios boot setup and turn off secure boot and csm compatibility mode, tell me if that does something and we'll see. Good luck

2 minutes ago, elpiloto41 said:

Try to reinstall windows in uefi mode via USB, then after installing go to your bios boot setup and turn off secure boot and csm compatibility mode, tell me if that does something and we'll see. Good luck

It doesn’t let me reinstall Windows via usb either, I get this screenimage.thumb.jpg.d92998acc15cc43a3526b19edf08f706.jpg

5 minutes ago, Jayson5584 said:

It doesn’t let me reinstall Windows via usb either, I get this screenimage.thumb.jpg.d92998acc15cc43a3526b19edf08f706.jpg

I got that exact same screen and sorted that out setting up the bios like I said before. That screen only appears in the installer when you try to use the windows repair tool and it fails

15 minutes ago, elpiloto41 said:

Try setting that options, I'm 90% sure it will work

9 minutes ago, elpiloto41 said:

Try setting that options, I'm 90% sure it will work

I’m able to turn off CSM but Secure boot is permanently enabled in the bios. Rebooting still gives me the same blue screen and trying to reinstall via usb still doesn’t work.

12 minutes ago, Jayson5584 said:

I’m able to turn off CSM but Secure boot is permanently enabled in the bios. Rebooting still gives me the same blue screen and trying to reinstall via usb still doesn’t work.

Ok, I have an Asus mobo as well (Rog strix b550 gaming f) and it was the same for me, let me remember how I did it

37 minutes ago, Jayson5584 said:

does the machine only bluescreen when trying to access or boot windows but otherwise doesn't bluescreen?

16 minutes ago, emosun said:

does the machine only bluescreen when trying to access or boot windows but otherwise doesn't bluescreen?

Only blue screens trying to boot windows, even in safe mode. I can use bios just fine and the windows troubleshooting screen works fine despite not letting me delete updates or reset windows.

3 minutes ago, Jayson5584 said:

Only blue screens trying to boot windows, even in safe mode. I can use bios just fine and the windows troubleshooting screen works fine despite not letting me delete updates or reset windows.

what about a full reinstall will it do that?

and or try installing windows to a different drive and remove the ssd you had windows on previously

1 minute ago, emosun said:

and or try installing windows to a different drive and remove the ssd you had windows on previously

I have an old ssd I’ll try installing windows on that and update later. Thank you for your help so far I’m just really exhausted with this problem. 

13 hours ago, Jayson5584 said:

I have an old ssd I’ll try installing windows on that and update later. Thank you for your help so far I’m just really exhausted with this problem. 

Need to buy a SATA cable. Will update again on whether windows works on separate drive when it arrives.

On 8/2/2021 at 5:46 AM, emosun said:

I finally got my other drive connected and Windows is working again. If it was my old drive that was the problem then what can I do to save it? I had 1.5 terabytes of stuff on it including my photography and music and I’d be devastated to have lost it all. This was genuinely my worst nightmare so if you could help with what to do to recover it please let me know, thank you.

pop the other drive back in and dont boot from it and see if the files are still there with only the installation being not working

also , start keeping backups. backups are cheap and smart

6 minutes ago, emosun said:

pop the other drive back in and dont boot from it and see if the files are still there with only the installation being not working

also , start keeping backups. backups are cheap and smart

All the files are there!! How can I go about reinstalling windows? Thank you so much for all your help by the way! 
(Also I checked the qvl for my ram and apparently the 2600 isn’t compatible with this model of ram at 4 sticks, which I guess is what caused everything to mess up? I don’t know much about that stuff but I ended up ordering a 5600 because I needed the upgrade anyway .)

2 minutes ago, Jayson5584 said:

How can I go about reinstalling windows?

did you not already reinstall windows? aren't you using a new installation?

3 minutes ago, Jayson5584 said:

checked the qvl for my ram and apparently the 2600 isn’t compatible with this model of ram at 4 sticks, which I guess is what caused everything to mess up?

ideally changing the ram should not have corrupted a windows instalation but to be safe you can replace all of it anyway.

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

did you not already reinstall windows? aren't you using a new installation?

ideally changing the ram should not have corrupted a windows instalation but to be safe you can replace all of it anyway.

I guess what I mean is my old drive permanently unbootable? or is there a way to be able to boot through it again? 

2 minutes ago, Jayson5584 said:

I guess what I mean is my old drive permanently unbootable? or is there a way to be able to boot through it again? 

after you have backed up the data from it you can try reformating it then reinstalling windows after it's been reformatted.