AMD's Stock Coolers for Ry5 and Ry7?

thenlan

Is the wraith spire an efficient cooler for Ryzen 5 and should i buy liquid cooler for Ryzen 7 which comes with Wraith Spire RGB with a decent heatsink. Going for liquid cooler would increase the budget. Stuck...

You can start with the stock cooler. 

They'll keep the cpu below but will be a bit noisier compared to other stock coolers. Will also have less room for overclocking, you can do some, but not recommended for pushing overclocking limits.

You can always buy liquid cooling later or a better stock cooler, if you find it too unpleasant, so I'd say save your money.

I'd say the wraith spire does well when you run 65w tdp ryzens at stock. Almost no headroom for overclocking. But if you're not interested in that its perfectly fine. Just make sure to have proper airflow. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

The Spire is fine if you want to run it at stock, but it's not quiet by any means. Liquid cooling is not necessary to keep noise and temps down though. For a 65W CPU you can easily get away with something like a Noctua NH-U12S Redux for about 50$ (or the Arctic Freezer 34 eSports if you're more on a budget) and have the same low noise and low temps as a liquid cooler.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

The choice isn't stock or liquid. There's a whole market of air coolers out there that are still budget friendly, better than stock, and in many cases, actually better than liquid, at least for smaller rad sizes.

It depends on the particular chip, but there's a reason why AMD doesn't even bother including stock coolers with its higher end chips. A stock cooler of any kind, for AMD or Intel, is always virtually a throwaway. It's good enough so that you can use the CPU out of the box without having to buy anything else, but it's basically just good enough to keep the chip from thermal throttling. Temps aren't going to be great and noise will be a problem.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

2 hours ago, mariushm said:

You can start with the stock cooler. 

They'll keep the cpu below but will be a bit noisier compared to other stock coolers. Will also have less room for overclocking, you can do some, but not recommended for pushing overclocking limits.

You can always buy liquid cooling later or a better stock cooler, if you find it too unpleasant, so I'd say save your money.

But it will be okay if we don't overclock it right?