Searching for a good headset for gaming

Matgarciaz
Go to solution Solved by Tigerleon,
11 minutes ago, Matgarciaz said:

I see, okay so I’ll need this DAC/Amp and the headphones and I should be good? I’m so used to USB headsets haha. But I’ll look into this stuff. Now the external sound card. You put that into the PCIE slot like the smaller one?

No a PCIE soundcard is an internal sound card. Basically, a DAC/amp could be internal through PCIE or USB. USB is what I would recommend since there are many of those compared to PCIE. I am going to copy what I said before as for headphones.

I've never really recommended these but I've recently got into reviews of the HE400i 2020 edition by Hifiman. They are planar magnetic which are hard to drive but can deliver sound with low distortion and an agressive sound with fast bass decay and are detail rich even when the bass hits. They would probably suit your music taste and they are very open with great imaging for what I've heard which is great for gaming.

A DAC/amp I will recommend is the iFi Zen DAC since it has enough power for the HE400i 2020. These headphones are only available in the EU as far as I am concerned looking at Hifimans store. There are open box variants that I think are in the US which you can get but if you are in the EU that's great.

Edit: The truebass button on the iFi Zen DAC is a bass boost which would work well with the HE400i I think.

Hey first off, I apologize if this post doesn't belong here. Not sure where to really post this so I saw "Audio-Headset" so I said let me try here. That being said:

Atm, I have astro A50's they are so annoying, they disconnect all the time for no reason, I dont use the mic I have a standalone mic for streaming.

I'm looking for a good headset that doesn't have a mic with crisp sound, I also listen to music, and stuff and would love for it to sound amazing as well as my games. Headset should be good with spatial audio in games too aka footsteps, distance, etc. Wireless would be preferred too!

Finally, if anyone has any idea of what those type of headsets are called that would be nice if you can tell me, so I can look into it more. Are they like producer headsets? I hear that "gaming headsets" are also frauds because they over charge and the drivers do nothing and you can always get better sound from other headsets.

- Thank you for your time reading this 🙂

TLDR: Looking for good headset that I can game with and also listen to music. Wireless preferred! I stream too just want really good sound.

12 minutes ago, Matgarciaz said:

Hey first off, I apologize if this post doesn't belong here. Not sure where to really post this so I saw "Audio-Headset" so I said let me try here. That being said:

Atm, I have astro A50's they are so annoying, they disconnect all the time for no reason, I dont use the mic I have a standalone mic for streaming.

I'm looking for a good headset that doesn't have a mic with crisp sound, I also listen to music, and stuff and would love for it to sound amazing as well as my games. Headset should be good with spatial audio in games too aka footsteps, distance, etc. Wireless would be preferred too!

Finally, if anyone has any idea of what those type of headsets are called that would be nice if you can tell me, so I can look into it more. Are they like producer headsets? I hear that "gaming headsets" are also frauds because they over charge and the drivers do nothing and you can always get better sound from other headsets.

- Thank you for your time reading this 🙂

TLDR: Looking for good headset that I can game with and also listen to music. Wireless preferred! I stream too just want really good sound.

Depends on your budget. But there are many options to chose from. Open back, closed back? Also which music do you listen to? One thing tho, call it a headphone. Headsets are headphones with a mic. But anyways, I can't really recommend any wireless headphone since I don't know many good ones or if there are in a lower budget.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

1 hour ago, Tigerleon said:

Depends on your budget. But there are many options to chose from. Open back, closed back? Also which music do you listen to? One thing tho, call it a headphone. Headsets are headphones with a mic. But anyways, I can't really recommend any wireless headphone since I don't know many good ones or if there are in a lower budget.

Hey thanks for the reply!

So I dont really have a budget. I'd spend good money but obv not $1000 I'm completely open minded, ill also go wired if need be.

Ah headPHONES got it I'll be sure to call it that, I thought headset was the same as headphones but you break it down like that that makes sense haha.

Also, love the tag " f*** 99,9% of all gaming headsets" 😉

edit: I also listen to everything, edm, rap, rock, hip hop, metal. I can go into it all. Some pop country too aint bad lol

Just now, Matgarciaz said:

Also, love the tag " f*** 99,9% of all gaming headsets"

Haha yeah! There are tons of reasons why I have it in my tag.

If you are not familiar with open back headphones, they are essentially open on the sides so sound can escape allowing for a more natural sound and a more spacious sound not sounding like it comes from your head.

Closed backs are however better suited for loud environments or if you just like to not hear anything except your game or music. In my opinion you don't really hear outside of your headphones unless you have no volume on or just low.

With open backs you get a better sense of the stage and the depth and width of sound. Imaging dictates how good you can locate sounds in a mix or hear from left-right.

If you've never tried open backs it is definitely a good upgrade. There are many options to chose from so I'll make a small list of different cans and their pros and cons. 

Again I don't know what you listen to as it goes for music so it is hard to exactly recommend something random.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

34 minutes ago, Matgarciaz said:

I also listen to everything, edm, rap, rock, hip hop, metal. I can go into it all. Some pop country too aint bad lol

If you have a mic interface with a headphone jack it would help a lot for driving harder to drive headphones.

I've never really recommended these but I've recently got into reviews of the HE400i 2020 edition by Hifiman. They are planar magnetic which are hard to drive but can deliver sound with low distortion and an agressive sound with fast bass decay and are detail rich even when the bass hits. They would probably suit your music taste and they are very open with great imaging for what I've heard which is great for gaming. If you don't have a mic interface or a headphone amp I'd suggest to get one or look for other headphones.

I use the Fidelio X2HR daily which are very open as well and have a massive soundstage, their imaging isn't really really good but still have decent localization. They are very easy to drive and are a little V shaped but has good enough mids to be pretty balanced and neutral. They are pretty heavy but have memory foam pads and a huge headband which suits any head.

There are also the HD 560S from Sennheiser which are less open but have great imaging, these are very light and comfortable for what I've heard. They are a bit more mid forward which means vocals are gonna be more intimate and not pushed out on the stage. Moderately easy to drive. Standard foam pads and headband which won't matter because of the weight. 

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

37 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

If you've never tried open backs it is definitely a good upgrade

We are always looking for the upgrade 😉 

but some things I dont understand because I've never heard of them. I never knew audio was so complex! But Im not sure what these are :

18 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

If you have a mic interface with a headphone jack

18 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

headphone amp

my mic currently is the blue yeti!

30 minutes ago, Matgarciaz said:

If you have a mic interface with a headphone jack

An external soundcard for XLR mics.

30 minutes ago, Matgarciaz said:
48 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

headphone amp

Headphone amplification for harder to drive headphones. You can get a cheap DAC/amp for $100 or less that will drive most headphones that are hard to drive. A DAC is a Digital to Analog Converter which is what you have in your motherboard or in your phone. It converts digital to analog that in turn creates sound in your headphones. A better implemented DAC often means cleaner sound.

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

18 hours ago, Tigerleon said:

An external soundcard for XLR mics.

Headphone amplification for harder to drive headphones. You can get a cheap DAC/amp for $100 or less that will drive most headphones that are hard to drive. A DAC is a Digital to Analog Converter which is what you have in your motherboard or in your phone. It converts digital to analog that in turn creates sound in your headphones. A better implemented DAC often means cleaner sound.

I see, okay so I’ll need this DAC/Amp and the headphones and I should be good? I’m so used to USB headsets haha. But I’ll look into this stuff. Now the external sound card. You put that into the PCIE slot like the smaller one?

11 minutes ago, Matgarciaz said:

No a PCIE soundcard is an internal sound card. Basically, a DAC/amp could be internal through PCIE or USB. USB is what I would recommend since there are many of those compared to PCIE. I am going to copy what I said before as for headphones.

I've never really recommended these but I've recently got into reviews of the HE400i 2020 edition by Hifiman. They are planar magnetic which are hard to drive but can deliver sound with low distortion and an agressive sound with fast bass decay and are detail rich even when the bass hits. They would probably suit your music taste and they are very open with great imaging for what I've heard which is great for gaming.

A DAC/amp I will recommend is the iFi Zen DAC since it has enough power for the HE400i 2020. These headphones are only available in the EU as far as I am concerned looking at Hifimans store. There are open box variants that I think are in the US which you can get but if you are in the EU that's great.

Edit: The truebass button on the iFi Zen DAC is a bass boost which would work well with the HE400i I think.

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

6 hours ago, Tigerleon said:

Shit yeah, thank you for all your help. These headphones do look sick and ill check if they are available through US. Im sure amazon or something has them no way they can possibly be region locked headphones haha

23 hours ago, Matgarciaz said:

Shit yeah, thank you for all your help. These headphones do look sick and ill check if they are available through US. Im sure amazon or something has them no way they can possibly be region locked headphones haha

Np. Hifiman's own store has an opened box variant that ships in the US. Haven't seen it on amazon. Also these headphones REQUIRE amplification so trying to use these without an amp will sound bad.

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

On 8/3/2021 at 9:48 PM, Tigerleon said:

Np. Hifiman's own store has an opened box variant that ships in the US. Haven't seen it on amazon. Also these headphones REQUIRE amplification so trying to use these without an amp will sound bad.

Yes I bought everything and can say was different at first, but I'm used to it now. HUGE difference between the shit gaming headset vs these. I can actually hear footsteps to my right/left or any direction. When it comes to music I always have true base and power match on. Works like a charm man. Sounds very nice, just need to get to the wired because I've gotten up a few times without taking off my headset but it sounds great!