R9 5900x getting Event 18 WHEA-Logger Error and Event 55 Kernal-Processor-Power

Go to solution Solved by jackstawow,

Fingers crossed, seems like updating BIOS, chipset drivers, and potentially plugging in the second cable has fixed my WHEA-Logger issue. Was getting an error in event viewer roughly once every other day, with the last one being before I updated everything. Have been doing some stress testing the last few days as well. Hopefully stays this way. If it pops up, RMAing my 5900x with AMD and back to my 3800x for a bit.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Got two Event 18 error crashes when playing Apex Legends today within the span of about an hour seemingly out of no where. Also came with Event 55 Kernal-Processor-Power for what seems like each core of the CPU.

I just finished updating X570 chipset drivers from version 2.13.27.501 to current 2.17.25.506. Also updated the BIOS on my Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master from version F32 to F34. Haven't had enough time to see if Event 18 returns, but I did already notice the Event 55 information level events have come up. I noticed that the Event 55 issues come up each time the computer is booted from cold.

Any ideas what this could be?

Computer Type: Desktop

GPU: RX 6900 XT

CPU: RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE 24 THREADS

Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS X570 Master

BIOS Version: F32

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo

PSU: Corsair RM850X

Operating System & Version: Windows 10 Home 21H1

GPU Drivers: Adrenalin Driver Version: 21.7.2

Description of Original Problem: Event 18 seen in event viewer after sudden system crash. Accompanied by Event 55 errors

Troubleshooting: Updating bios from F32 to F34, chipset drivers from 2.13.27.501 to 2.17.25.506, and reinstalling GPU drivers using DDU to do clean uninstall first

Event 18: A fatal hardware error has occurred. Reported by component: Processor Core Error Source: Machine Check Exception Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error Processor APIC ID: 4 The details view of this entry contains further information.

Event 55: Processor 0 in group 0 exposes the following power management capabilities:

Idle state type: ACPI Idle (C) States (2 state(s))

Performance state type: ACPI Collaborative Processor Performance Control Nominal Frequency (MHz): 3700 Maximum performance percentage: 166 Minimum performance percentage: 59 Minimum throttle percentage: 15

Edit: Fixed color issue

Edited by jackstawow

Please don't change the font color. Your post is virtually unreadable when viewed in dark mode. Not everyone has a white background.

As to your issue, is the CPU running stock, or did you tweak anything? What is the clockspeed and timings of your RAM? How many sticks of RAM? If less than 4, what slots are they in? Are you just running the XMP profile, or did you customize anything?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

2 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

Please don't change the font color. Your post is virtually unreadable when viewed in dark mode. Not everyone has a white background.

As to your issue, is the CPU running stock, or did you tweak anything? What is the clockspeed and timings of your RAM? How many sticks of RAM? If less than 4, what slots are they in? Are you just running the XMP profile, or did you customize anything?

My bad! I had no idea that the font color would do that...

Nothing in the BIOS was changed outside of setting a manual fan curve for two case fans connected to motherboard and enabling XMP. I did read on Reddit someone with the same MOBO and CPU running the same BIOS version I was running changed the Power Supply Idle Control from whatever the default was to "Typical Current Idle," so I figured I would give that a try. I'll be running BIOS version F34 with X570 chipset drivers version 2.17.25.506 with "Typical Idle Control" to see if the Event 18 WHEA-Logger returns. Still seeing the Event 15 Kernal-Processor-Power after boot, but that is an Information level event so not sure if I should be worried about that.

I have 4 sticks totaling 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo RAM running XMP clocked at 3600 MHz with timings being CL16-19-19-39-58 @ 1.35v. Nothing else was changed for RAM settings.

5 minutes ago, jackstawow said:

My bad! I had no idea that the font color would do that...

Nothing in the BIOS was changed outside of setting a manual fan curve for two case fans connected to motherboard and enabling XMP. I did read on Reddit someone with the same MOBO and CPU running the same BIOS version I was running changed the Power Supply Idle Control from whatever the default was to "Typical Current Idle," so I figured I would give that a try. I'll be running BIOS version F34 with X570 chipset drivers version 2.17.25.506 with "Typical Idle Control" to see if the Event 18 WHEA-Logger returns. Still seeing the Event 15 Kernal-Processor-Power after boot, but that is an Information level event so not sure if I should be worried about that.

I have 4 sticks totaling 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo RAM running XMP clocked at 3600 MHz with timings being CL16-19-19-39-58 @ 1.35v. Nothing else was changed for RAM settings.

Hmm looking at the QVL for my board, it seems like the specific RAM that I (F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC) have is not listed. Closest thing to it is F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC. Considering I bought my current MOBO and RAM when I bought my previous CPU, 3800x, could me running this same RAM on the 5900x be my issue?

Also, I am only running one 8-pin CPU power connector, considering the 5900x is much more power hungry, would it be advised for me to plug in the second one?

If you play with a controller make sure its firmware is up to date.

I literally had a xbox one series x controller causing gpu drivers to crash and windows to report hardware issues, the LAST THING i would have ever expected.

System Specs: AMD 5950x PBO-AutoNoctua DH-15 Black | Gigabyte x570 MasterEVGA 3080FTW3 Ultra | (2x16gb) G.Skill Royal 3600mhz CL18 | Corsair 5000D Airflow (Black) Samsung 980 Pro 2TB & Firecuda 520 1TB & Crucial MX500 2tb850W Corsair RMX | 2 Noctua A14 CPU, 6 Noctua A12x25 Intake, 3x Noctua F12 Top Exhaust, 1x Noctua A12x25 Back Exhaust

Monitors: (Main) LG Ultragear 34" 2k Ultrawide 144hz IPS '34GP83A-B' (Side) Acer Predator 27" 2k 144hz TN 'Abmiprz'

Peripherals: Corsair K100 OPX | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Corsair Virtuoso SE | Audioengine A2+

2 minutes ago, jackstawow said:

Also, I am only running one 8-pin CPU power connector, considering the 5900x is much more power hungry, would it be advised for me to plug in the second one?

thats probably the problem

System Specs: AMD 5950x PBO-AutoNoctua DH-15 Black | Gigabyte x570 MasterEVGA 3080FTW3 Ultra | (2x16gb) G.Skill Royal 3600mhz CL18 | Corsair 5000D Airflow (Black) Samsung 980 Pro 2TB & Firecuda 520 1TB & Crucial MX500 2tb850W Corsair RMX | 2 Noctua A14 CPU, 6 Noctua A12x25 Intake, 3x Noctua F12 Top Exhaust, 1x Noctua A12x25 Back Exhaust

Monitors: (Main) LG Ultragear 34" 2k Ultrawide 144hz IPS '34GP83A-B' (Side) Acer Predator 27" 2k 144hz TN 'Abmiprz'

Peripherals: Corsair K100 OPX | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Corsair Virtuoso SE | Audioengine A2+

9 hours ago, Daethz said:

thats probably the problem

Connected the second 8 pin. Time to see if that fixes the issue.

16 hours ago, jackstawow said:

Got two Event 18 error crashes when playing Apex Legends today within the span of about an hour seemingly out of no where. Also came with Event 55 Kernal-Processor-Power for what seems like each core of the CPU.

I just finished updating X570 chipset drivers from version 2.13.27.501 to current 2.17.25.506. Also updated the BIOS on my Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master from version F32 to F34. Haven't had enough time to see if Event 18 returns, but I did already notice the Event 55 information level events have come up. I noticed that the Event 55 issues come up each time the computer is booted from cold.

Any ideas what this could be?

Computer Type: Desktop

GPU: RX 6900 XT

CPU: RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE 24 THREADS

Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS X570 Master

BIOS Version: F32

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo

PSU: Corsair RM850X

Operating System & Version: Windows 10 Home 21H1

GPU Drivers: Adrenalin Driver Version: 21.7.2

Description of Original Problem: Event 18 seen in event viewer after sudden system crash. Accompanied by Event 55 errors

Troubleshooting: Updating bios from F32 to F34, chipset drivers from 2.13.27.501 to 2.17.25.506, and reinstalling GPU drivers using DDU to do clean uninstall first

Event 18: A fatal hardware error has occurred. Reported by component: Processor Core Error Source: Machine Check Exception Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error Processor APIC ID: 4 The details view of this entry contains further information.

Event 55: Processor 0 in group 0 exposes the following power management capabilities:

Idle state type: ACPI Idle (C) States (2 state(s))

Performance state type: ACPI Collaborative Processor Performance Control Nominal Frequency (MHz): 3700 Maximum performance percentage: 166 Minimum performance percentage: 59 Minimum throttle percentage: 15

Edit: Fixed color issue

Yea its a known issue with higher core count ryzen processors. There's not really a fix for this yet but I believe its due to how aggressive the auto OC is for these new cpus and not all cpus are binned the same.  

https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/ryzen-5900x-system-constantly-crashing-restarting-whea-logger-id/td-p/423321

If plugging in the second CPU power does not help you can try some of the solutions on the thread OR RMA-ing your cpu. AMD does accept RMAs for this since the CPU is supposed to be stable at stock. 

I followed some of the settings in this comment: 

And it seems my 5900x is stable now with CBS and PBO enabled as well as the ram overclocks. Do periodically check for updates to the latest stable bios since there no motherboard with a solid bios yet. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Fingers crossed, seems like updating BIOS, chipset drivers, and potentially plugging in the second cable has fixed my WHEA-Logger issue. Was getting an error in event viewer roughly once every other day, with the last one being before I updated everything. Have been doing some stress testing the last few days as well. Hopefully stays this way. If it pops up, RMAing my 5900x with AMD and back to my 3800x for a bit.

Thanks for all the suggestions!