Screens go out every once in awhile. Any help?

blurski

So I just built a new PC about a week ago. Everything has been running so so well until randomly I was playing a game (New World Closed Beta) and my screens went black for about 5 seconds and came back on, I had been watching a video at the time of playing it and I didn't really think anything of it. 

It happened again a few days later and the monitors came back on instantly once again while I was playing Escape from Tarkov and watching a discord stream at the same time.

The only thing I can think of would be a bad DP cable? If not what do you guys think it would be?

Spec:

EVGA 3070ti

Ryzen 9 5900x

2x16GB G.Skill RGB 3200mhz

MSI Meg X570 Ace

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

If all displays went out my guess is a display driver crash?

Check Event viewer if theres any logs for nvlddmkm under Windows Logs > System; on the right side under Actions click "Find.." and paste nvlddmkm in the find box.

If you get any Event 4101 "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." at the times you've experienced this issue then it would be a good idea to reinstall the display drivers.

Hopefully its the case and not something more complicated.

7 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

If all displays went out my guess is a display driver crash?

Check Event viewer if theres any logs for nvlddmkm under Windows Logs > System; on the right side under Actions click "Find.." and paste nvlddmkm in the find box.

If you get any Event 4101 "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." at the times you've experienced this issue then it would be a good idea to reinstall the display drivers.

Hopefully its the case and not something more complicated.

image.png.6299878993150fb52b4deb5a837cb5f3.png

Alright so looks like that was the issue, I reinstalled my drivers right after it happened again. Is it a bad thing that this is happening? Are any parts ruined or anything like that?

Just now, blurski said:

image.png.6299878993150fb52b4deb5a837cb5f3.png

Alright so looks like that was the issue, I reinstalled my drivers right after it happened again. Is it a bad thing that this is happening? Are any parts ruined or anything like that?

Mmmno I get random crashes like this from time to time myself with AMD's display driver; not even in games, something simple as clicking on a video or typing in a searchbox. It'd be a good idea to a clean installation with tools like DDU. Hopefully it will stop happening. You can try with newer or even older drivers. Newest isn't always best, I don't update display drivers for up to half a year haha.

22 hours ago, Murasaki said:

Mmmno I get random crashes like this from time to time myself with AMD's display driver; not even in games, something simple as clicking on a video or typing in a searchbox. It'd be a good idea to a clean installation with tools like DDU. Hopefully it will stop happening. You can try with newer or even older drivers. Newest isn't always best, I don't update display drivers for up to half a year haha.

Hey again, I just opened GeForce Experience and only one of my screens went black for about a second.

I got this that showed up 

image.png.4b87b7313b0da87938edf71f74cb9f7c.png

any idea as to what you think it might be?

32 minutes ago, blurski said:

Hey again, I just opened GeForce Experience and only one of my screens went black for about a second.

I got this that showed up 

image.png.4b87b7313b0da87938edf71f74cb9f7c.png

any idea as to what you think it might be?

Technical details here if you feel like reading:

Spoiler

https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/sdk-api/blob/docs/sdk-api-src/content/winuser/nf-winuser-setdisplayconfig.md

The SetDisplayConfig function modifies the display topology, source, and target modes by exclusively enabling the specified paths in the current session.

SDC_FORCE_MODE_ENUMERATION

The caller requests that the driver is given an opportunity to update the GDI mode list while SetDisplayConfig sets the new display configuration. This flag value is only valid when the SDC_USE_SUPPLIED_DISPLAY_CONFIG and SDC_APPLY flag values are also specified.

No clue why it does that though, have you ran into your original issue with all monitors going black or its just this issue now? Also I assume you used DDU so any remnants or settings are wiped. Btw are all your monitors connected via DP?

20 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

Technical details here if you feel like reading:

Reveal hidden contents

https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/sdk-api/blob/docs/sdk-api-src/content/winuser/nf-winuser-setdisplayconfig.md

The SetDisplayConfig function modifies the display topology, source, and target modes by exclusively enabling the specified paths in the current session.

SDC_FORCE_MODE_ENUMERATION

The caller requests that the driver is given an opportunity to update the GDI mode list while SetDisplayConfig sets the new display configuration. This flag value is only valid when the SDC_USE_SUPPLIED_DISPLAY_CONFIG and SDC_APPLY flag values are also specified.

No clue why it does that though, have you ran into your original issue with all monitors going black or its just this issue now? Also I assume you used DDU so any remnants or settings are wiped. Btw are all your monitors connected via DP?

So this was a different issue and onlyt 1 monitor went out for a much shorter time, about 1 second. I was using 2 DP and now im testing an hdmi on one of my monitors to see if its a faulty DP. Oh and yes I did use DDU

1 minute ago, blurski said:

So this was a different issue and onlyt 1 monitor went out for a much shorter time, about 1 second. I was using 2 DP and now im testing an hdmi on one of my monitors to see if its a faulty DP. Oh and yes I did use DDU

Out of curiousity I tried turning off/on, plugging/unplugging my monitors, changed resolutions/layouts and didn't get any logs for it so not sure what triggers that kind of call. Hopefully its a DP cable being weird as I know DP can be weird at times..

8 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

Out of curiousity I tried turning off/on, plugging/unplugging my monitors, changed resolutions/layouts and didn't get any logs for it so not sure what triggers that kind of call. Hopefully its a DP cable being weird as I know DP can be weird at times..

yea well its been a day and no issues, gonna assume it just flashed when i opened geforce experience.

Really hoping that my issue is just a faulty DP cable and thats what it is seeming like more and more.

Don't know if this helps, but one of my monitor used to behave like that, and after some digging it turned out it was my fridge when it was cycling on. So maybe the cause is one of your electricial appliance such as your fridge is sharing powerline with your monitors. I used HDMI repeater as a wonky fix but I might've fixed it for good with UPS for my PC and monitors.

If drivers or cables aren't the culprit then you can consider getting UPS.

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820

9 hours ago, BuzzingBee said:

Don't know if this helps, but one of my monitor used to behave like that, and after some digging it turned out it was my fridge when it was cycling on. So maybe the cause is one of your electricial appliance such as your fridge is sharing powerline with your monitors. I used HDMI repeater as a wonky fix but I might've fixed it for good with UPS for my PC and monitors.

If drivers or cables aren't the culprit then you can consider getting UPS.

I don't believe it would be an electrical appliance interfering with it, but it definitely is a possibility. I am almost positive that it is a bad DP. Been using this HDMI for over a day now and no issues thankfully. Hopefully it isn't anything that serious though.

Hello everyone I have already made a post about this but I want to try it under this forum to see if i get some more options from people.

I got a PC from NZXT BLD about a week (yes i know its a prebuild sorry). For the last week now a few times my monitors will go black for a second and then come back on like nothing ever happened. I have reinstalled my drivers, I have used UDD, I have swapped out my displayport and hdmi cables and still once again it happened.

Every instance has been me playing a game and watching a youtube video/ discord stream while playing the game. My temps run completely normal as well.

If anyone can help please that would be amazing I really would like to hear what everyone thinks.

SPECS :

AMD Ryzen 9 5900x

MEG X570 Ace

EVGA Geforce RTX 3070ti ftw ultra 8GB

16x2 G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz

Seasonic Focus GM-850W Gold

NZXT Kraken Z63

14 minutes ago, blurski said:

I got a PC from NZXT BLD about a week (yes i know its a prebuild sorry).

Nothing to apologize for, especially given the how much you'd have to pay / wait for a GPU if you were to build it yourself. 🙂

14 minutes ago, blurski said:

For the last week now a few times my monitors will go black for a second and then come back on like nothing ever happened.
Every instance has been me playing a game and watching a youtube video/ discord stream while playing the game. My temps run completely normal as well.

Might be a Windows bug, go to Power & Sleep in the Windows settings and set the screen to never turn off. This would be my 1st step, easy to try, nothing to mess up.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

9 minutes ago, Biohazard777 said:

Nothing to apologize for, especially given the how much you'd have to pay / wait for a GPU if you were to build it yourself. 🙂

Might be a Windows bug, go to Power & Sleep in the Windows settings and set the screen to never turn off. This would be my 1st step, easy to try, nothing to mess up.

Haha yea thats pretty much the only reason I got a prebuild pretty difficult to find anything these days.

I just turned it to never so I will give that a shot. I have 2 new displayport cables coming in as well so hopefully that may be the issue? 

3 minutes ago, Biohazard777 said:

Looking at you overpriced nzxt aio fans and case

Even worse their cases have garbage airflow so good luck getting decent temps

But then again atleast you can swap the parts out unlike some other manufacturers (looking at you dell and your proprietary shit)

17 minutes ago, blurski said:

For the last week now a few times my monitors will go black for a second and then come back on like nothing ever happened.

In my previous house the lights upstairs every once in awhile would turn off for a split second but then turn back on and all the other tech still works as if nothing happens

Consider getting a ups for your pc and monitors

Not sure if this is irrelevant or not

31 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Looking at you overpriced nzxt aio fans and case

Even worse their cases have garbage airflow so good luck getting decent temps

But then again atleast you can swap the parts out unlike some other manufacturers (looking at you dell and your proprietary shit)

In my previous house the lights upstairs every once in awhile would turn off for a split second but then turn back on and all the other tech still works as if nothing happens

Consider getting a ups for your pc and monitors

Not sure if this is irrelevant or not

are there any specifc ones that you would recommend? I am not really familiar with them or if it really matter what I do get.

1 hour ago, blurski said:

are there any specifc ones that you would recommend? I am not really familiar with them or if it really matter what I do get.

I dont have any specific ups id reccomend

Though if you do wanna upgrade your pc  in the future id suggest swapping the case to a pure base 500, clean looks and decent airflow, you can also get em in white

Though you better get a ups first cause no point having an expensive pc without surge protection or ups cause if a power surge or a split second blackout happens your pc might get fked or at the very least the psu dies

3 hours ago, blurski said:

Hello everyone I have already made a post about this but I want to try it under this forum to see if i get some more options from people.

I got a PC from NZXT BLD about a week (yes i know its a prebuild sorry). For the last week now a few times my monitors will go black for a second and then come back on like nothing ever happened. I have reinstalled my drivers, I have used UDD, I have swapped out my displayport and hdmi cables and still once again it happened.

I doubt you need an ups,

I doubt you need a new case,

Did you encounter that problem with both DP and HDMI ?

I'd reinstall windows (there's a very cheap way to reinstall, for a start), reseat my gpu.

Maybe even a monitor defect, replug the monitor cables.

Edit : does the gpu get all the power it needs ?

replug those gpu power plugs, maybe switch them if you've got spares

How are the temps ?

I'm willing to swim against the current.

10 hours ago, leclod said:

I doubt you need an ups,

I doubt you need a new case,

Did you encounter that problem with both DP and HDMI ?

I'd reinstall windows (there's a very cheap way to reinstall, for a start), reseat my gpu.

Maybe even a monitor defect, replug the monitor cables.

Edit : does the gpu get all the power it needs ?

replug those gpu power plugs, maybe switch them if you've got spares

How are the temps ?

I did encounter the problem with the DP and HDMI, i just find it odd that the problem started happening right when I got my PC.

I reseated my gpu and changed the pcie cables. I did reseat the gpu though after the third time it happened last night.

My gpu gets plenty of power and my temps are perfectly normal.

I have a couple new DP cables coming in the mail today so I am going to test those, the only thing is that I cannot trigger it, it is random.

Alright so I have made a post about this and now I feel like I have tried almost everything.

So basically what happens is my monitors every few days go black for about 5 seconds and come back on like nothing happened.

1526590724_event14.png.2561611b091942a88a3f169c40432552.png

This is all that comes up when it occurs.

Here is a list for what I have done - 

- UDD to reinstall display drivers

- Got New displayports

- Used multiple different monitors

- Reseated GPU

If anyone has had this issue could you guys please help me out, I have been stuck with this for the last few weeks and it is very annoying.

SPECS :

AMD Ryzen 9 5900x

MEG X570 Ace

EVGA Geforce RTX 3070ti ftw ultra 8GB

16x2 G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz

Seasonic Focus GM-850W Gold

NZXT Kraken Z63

nvlddmkm would be something to do with nvidia display drivers, I would try a clean uninstall of them from safe mode and then maybe install the last driver version you had without the issue

38 minutes ago, davidsondakoda said:

nvlddmkm would be something to do with nvidia display drivers, I would try a clean uninstall of them from safe mode and then maybe install the last driver version you had without the issue

Well i feel like if it were the current driver out then everyone would have that issue no?

I also installed the driver previous to this one i believe? 

Version 471.11

Can you post the details of a few of those errors? Might be something else in there to help figure it out

image.thumb.png.c5388c585c0651f5af14b15962da9782.png

image.png.17c6cb11df8b813bab4baf6136629804.png

These are the 2 errors appearing and their descriptions

If you have already tried doing a clean uninstall of drivers with DDU and also tried different driver versions it could be a hardware issue. Those errors point to either the driver having problems or the card itself not showing up for the computer. Could be that the power supply isn't giving the card stable power, could be another device causing a conflict, could be a faulty card, could be something to do with the pcie slot the card is in. You can try removing all unneeded peripherals/swapping them for others to see if that causes the issue to stop, I had an audio interface that used to make me blue screen due to driver conflicts. There's also the off chance that windows is causing the issue and you can try a reinstall of it or rolling back the windows version/updating windows.

Aside from that next steps would be trying different pieces of hardware to see if any of those are causing it, or reaching out to the maker of the PC for possible replacement if it's a prebuilt

EDIT: you can also try updating chipset drivers and BIOS to make sure they aren't causing the issue with suddenly not seeing the graphics card

Edited by davidsondakoda
addition