Matching motherboard & CPU generation?

Grumpig

Budget (including currency): 20,000-25,000 HKD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Games, streaming , VR , Photo editing, video editing

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

AMD® Ryzen™9 5900x 12Core 24Threads @ 4.80 GHz 

CPU Cooler: Arctic Liquid freezer 2 - 360 

Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS (WI-FI) 

RAM: Crucial Ballistic RGB 3600Mhz 16GB x2 

SSD: Kingston NV1 NVMe SSD 1TB 

HDD: 2Tb 

Graphics card: Inno3D RTX 3080 ichill x4 

Power Supply: ASUS ROG-STRIX-850G 850w 80+Gold Modular power supply 

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh

Just wanted to know is the motherboard I chose correct one? I had seen online that they said it's better to choose a motherboard that is the same generation as the CPU? 

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

46 minutes ago, Grumpig said:

Budget (including currency): 20,000-25,000 HKD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Games, streaming , VR , Photo editing, video editing

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

AMD® Ryzen™9 5900x 12Core 24Threads @ 4.80 GHz 

CPU Cooler: Arctic Liquid freezer 2 - 360 

Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS (WI-FI) 

RAM: Crucial Ballistic RGB 3600Mhz 16GB x2 

SSD: Kingston NV1 NVMe SSD 1TB 

HDD: 2Tb 

Graphics card: Inno3D RTX 3080 ichill x4 

Power Supply: ASUS ROG-STRIX-850G 850w 80+Gold Modular power supply 

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh

Just wanted to know is the motherboard I chose correct one? I had seen online that they said it's better to choose a motherboard that is the same generation as the CPU? 

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

That motherboard is newer and has the correct socket.  The real worry with 5xxx chips is 3xx boards which that is not. That’s a 5xx which is the newest type.  A b550 Should run ryzen3 out of the box though it may not run well without a bios update.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

You are all good as far as compatibility is concerned-b550 and x570 are the latest chipsets, there isn’t anything newer than that

of more concern is looking into the VRM quality of your selected motherboard, there is a vrm tier list on this forum and plenty of videos by buildzoid where he reviews VRMs

this is important because you are using a 12 core CPU

Just now, 0591ryan said:

You are all good as far as compatibility is concerned-b550 and x570 are the latest chipsets, there isn’t anything newer than that

of more concern is looking into the VRM quality of your selected motherboard, there is a vrm tier list on this forum and plenty of videos by buildzoid where he reviews VRMs

this is important because you are toying a 12 core CPU

B550 is supposed to have quite powerful VRM as part of the spec so my suspicion is everything will be fine.  Can’t hurt to check though I suppose. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

B550 is supposed to have quite powerful VRM as part of the spec so my suspicion is everything will be fine.  Can’t hurt to check though I suppose. 

Each board is different, some manufacturers cheap out on VRM, some don’t-for instance I believe the VRM on the b550 mortar was seen as kinda garbage despite the b450 mortar being amazing

finding a video by buildzoid on your motherboard of choice will answer any questions about build quality, he is quite meticulous 

2 minutes ago, 0591ryan said:

Each board is different, some manufacturers cheap out on VRM, some don’t-for instance I believe the VRM on the b550 mortar was seen as kinda garbage despite the b450 mortar being amazing

finding a video by buildzoid on your motherboard of choice will answer any questions about build quality, he is quite meticulous 

I heard all the b550s were pretty decent that way. If buildzoid is saying there is a problem there’s probably a problem though.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

I heard all the b550s were pretty decent that way. If buildzoid is saying there is a problem there’s probably a problem though.

Tbh, I don’t remember the problem boards, it’s likely the ultra budget b550 that suffer from poor VRM but I don’t really remember since I bought my motherboard before b550 was a thing and so didn’t feel like watching the vids that closely

49 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Thank you ! If it's just a Bios update then I think should be fine. I just wasn't sure if it was a good motherboard to pair with the CPU. From the sounds of it . Sound like it's good then 🙂

Yeah I've got a similar motherboard (mpg gaming edge) for the same CPU and it works great. Maybe check your model has BIOS flashback, it makes it super easy to update your BIOS, with a usb stick and the touch of a button (almost literally). I think almost all the b550 have this feature tho

ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS (WI-FI) has BIOS Flashback feature that allows BIOS update without an installer cpu.

o99

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.