Windows wont boot from m.2 nvme ssd (BSOD saying cant access boot drive)

Aiden Wilkins

So I bought a Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe ssd today, installed it, cloned my old ssd to it and have since then been unable to boot to the drive. Tried both CMS/Legacy and UEFI boot modes and to no avail it keeps BSODing on me telling me the boot device is not accessible. Can boot to my old ssd fine and to the linux ssd im using to make this post. Secure boot is also disabled. Edit: My board is a MSI Z390-A Pro

Smells like the clone went wrong somehow. Can bios see it?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Smells like the clone went wrong somehow. Can bios see it?

Bios can see the drive and so can grub, the window boot manager just cant boot it and blue screens. I will try clean installing the os and see if it fixes it

11 minutes ago, Aiden Wilkins said:

Bios can see the drive and so can grub, the window boot manager just cant boot it and blue screens. I will try clean installing the os and see if it fixes it

I don’t hold out great hope for that myself though it could work.  For windows to boot things have to be set up the right way. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

21 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I don’t hold out great hope for that myself though it could work.  For windows to boot things have to be set up the right way. 

So fresh installing did indeed work and I can boot to it. I used clonezilla to clone it, trying to avoid having to reinstall everything, is there another clone tool you could recommend? 

31 minutes ago, Aiden Wilkins said:

So fresh installing did indeed work and I can boot to it. I used clonezilla to clone it, trying to avoid having to reinstall everything, is there another clone tool you could recommend? 

Yay! on the successful mount. I’m pre-cloner I’m afraid.  I’d need to take your advice on that one rather than the reverse.   There are those about that may have used them though and would know more.

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Yay! on the successful mount. I’m pre-cloner I’m afraid.  I’d need to take your advice on that one rather than the reverse.   There are those about that may have used them though and would know more.

Ah ok. Thanks for the help!