Samsung SSD not writing large files.

Go to solution Solved by Shadoughie,

I found the answer. It was a weird glitch with the wipe. I was able attempt another wipe and it had a file called Lost and found.

I have a 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD 2.5 for windows. I dual boot Windows and POP! OS Nvidia 21.04. I attempted to format the drive for linux gaming (the useful for both Windows and Linux option provided by POP! OS) It was FAT32 I believe (in linux). I lost power and attempted to continue the format, it finished and I can't save games to it. Steam says "insufficient space". I went back to windows and attempted to formate it there, it finished. I cannot save games for the same reason, Steam says "insufficientspace". However, I can save a word doc to it.

I am pretty sure I didn't break it. I am new to Linux. BTW I am aware now that proton works with the linux format. I hope I followed the psoting instructions correctly.

The largest file size supported by FAT32 is 4 GB, so you should be using ExFAT if you need larger files.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

9 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

The largest file size supported by FAT32 is 4 GB, so you should be using ExFAT if you need larger files.

I finished a ext4 format to see if that would do the trick but get a similar error.

I attached pictures. I hope they are legible.

20210731_225446.jpg

20210731_225130.jpg

4 minutes ago, Shadoughie said:

I finished a ext4 format to see if that would do the trick but get a similar error.

I attached pictures. I hope they are legible.

This could simply be a permission error. Is the directory the disk is mounted at writable for the user account that Steam is running under? Otherwise the disk might be having hardware issues. So if permissions are not the cause, you might want to check the disk for errors.

2 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

This could simply be a permission error. Is the directory the disk is mounted at writable for the user account that Steam is running under? Otherwise the disk might be having hardware issues. So if permissions are not the cause, you might want to check the disk for errors.

I do not know and I don't know how to tell. I did a check and it says the drive is good to go.

4 minutes ago, Shadoughie said:

I do not know and I don't know how to tell. I did a check and it says the drive is good to go.

As an easy test, you could try copying a large file (e.g Linux .iso) from another disk to this drive or download a large file from the internet, see if that works.

Otherwise there's different tools to test the disk for errors, here's a starting point: https://www.tecmint.com/check-linux-hard-disk-bad-sectors-bad-blocks/

10 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

As an easy test, you could try copying a large file (e.g Linux .iso) from another disk to this drive or download a large file from the internet, see if that works.

Otherwise there's different tools to test the disk for errors, here's a starting point: https://www.tecmint.com/check-linux-hard-disk-bad-sectors-bad-blocks/

I am going to give this a shot in the morning.

Thank you, for all your help. I'll give an update right after.

12 hours ago, Shadoughie said:

I am going to give this a shot in the morning.

Thank you, for all your help. I'll give an update right after.

I think this was supposed to give me an answer (the console guide) but It did not move past that point. Not sure what that means. I tried it through the UI and it said it has no issues with damaged sectors. I was able to do a download test (1GB file size). Pictures attached. @Eigenvektor

20210801_100540.jpg

20210801_095909.jpg

I found the answer. It was a weird glitch with the wipe. I was able attempt another wipe and it had a file called Lost and found.