Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey I was just wondering which CPU I should get since the Ryzen 7 3700x and the Ryzen 5 5600x are pretty much at the same price point on the Micro-center website. Are there any major differences. Does the Ryzen 7 3700x support PCIE 4.0. 

This is the build that I would most likely be pairing it with https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QJjMsX 

Forrrrr.....what?

That's like asking if you should have a sedan or a pickup truck for your business.

Current PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

18 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Forrrrr.....what?

That's like asking if you should have a sedan or a pickup truck for your business.

For gaming and school work. But I want to be able to game on around 120 frames on medium settings. 

3 minutes ago, CEO of Russia said:

For gaming and school work. But I want to be able to game on around 120 frames on medium settings. 

For Mine Sweeper either one is fine for 120fps.

Current PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

The only benefit to the 3700X is an additional 2c/4t. Because of the IPC and clock bump of Zen 3, the 5600X will exceed it in single core performance (most important for gaming) and pretty much equal it in multicore (most important for productivity). In other words, the 5600X is better in every way unless you actually need the additional threads for your particular workloads. It doesn't sound as if you do, though.

That said, there's already games that will scale to 8 cores or more, and that trend will only be continuing now that the next gen consoles have gone to 8 core with SMT. If you want the best gaming performance, 8 core is a much safer place to be, though probably not at the sacrifice of single core performance.

Personally, I'd take door number 3 and spend the extra on a 5800X. Then, you have the best of all worlds, and you're good for the foreseeable future. Otherwise, I'd go with the 5600X.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

5600X still rips. It’s a fun little cpu and it will serve you well. It will be many moons before it’s obsolete. If you run it with 4 sticks it really is a beasty cpu. If you just need it to play games chances are you will have a good gpu anyways.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Frost Commander 140

Asus Strix B550-F Gaming | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200C14

EVGA RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 Ultra | WD SN750 500GB, 1TB

Prime GX-750 | Fractal Design Meshify C | Many CFM's

On 7/31/2021 at 10:15 PM, Chris Pratt said:

The only benefit to the 3700X is an additional 2c/4t. Because of the IPC and clock bump of Zen 3, the 5600X will exceed it in single core performance (most important for gaming) and pretty much equal it in multicore (most important for productivity). In other words, the 5600X is better in every way unless you actually need the additional threads for your particular workloads. It doesn't sound as if you do, though.

That said, there's already games that will scale to 8 cores or more, and that trend will only be continuing now that the next gen consoles have gone to 8 core with SMT. If you want the best gaming performance, 8 core is a much safer place to be, though probably not at the sacrifice of single core performance.

Personally, I'd take door number 3 and spend the extra on a 5800X. Then, you have the best of all worlds, and you're good for the foreseeable future. Otherwise, I'd go with the 5600X.

Hey thanks for explaining it to me Im kind of new to this 🙂

On 7/31/2021 at 10:15 PM, Chris Pratt said:

Hey thanks for explaining it to me Im kind of new to this 🙂