Confused about what kind of server i should set up

I just put the latest edition of ubuntu server on an old computer that I want to turn into a server.

Here's what I want to be able to do:

1. read, write to, create, upload, and delete files on the server from any on my network and from outside my network
2. access/stream my music/movies/pictures on the server from any device on my network and from outside my network

What types of servers should I install?
A plex server? A samba server? A NAS? VPN? FTP?
All of them or some combination?
I'm confused about the difference

Thanks

You need both plex- and samba servers.

DO NOT allow your system to be accessible from the web. You lack the knowledge to do so safely. If you do, you'll be hacked within 2 weeks (probably within 24hrs) and it will do someone else's bidding, not yours. But as it's still your server, YOU are (still) responsible for whatever it does. If that's illegal, expect the cops to show up :old-eyeroll:

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

First off, remove Hirsute Hippo and go with Focal Fossa. 21.04 has a lot of third party repos that either only have partial support or in some cases are just plain missing entirely and there's lots of stuff that wont work plus for a server you really want to be on a stable release LTS kernel distro.

1. This requires SAMBA for the filesharing service and a VPN to allow secure remote access to files. Both are easy to install on Ubuntu (you might have to enable the Universe repo).

2. Plex is the answer here, its by far the best way of securely streaming your media remotely.

Please avoid using FTP and even FTPS for anything that's not local, if you HAVE to use something (and in 99% of cases you really don't) then use SFTP.

Also Ubuntu ships with UFW disabled OOTB, first thing you need to do is change your SSH port from 22 then allow the new SSH port through UFW and enable it.

Finally keep the root account disabled and create a fail2ban jail for SSH. My VPS is configured to use an unknown port and I still get people trying to hack in every few days, hackers will always try to gain SSH access using the root account so by keeping it disabled you ensure they cannot gain access and end up getting banned.

Edit - Also look at webmin, its a great web based management tool that allows you to do most tasks in a browser UI rather than a terminal. I run it on my Ubuntu server, it works great.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)