It it possible to enable Wide Colour Gamut on a monitor without HDR?

RTX2060Owner

Hey guys. My monitor is MSI G27CQ4. It doesn't have HDR, but I think it has Wide Colour Gamut. The label on the frame says so, so does MSI's page. 

When i go into Settings, System, Display, I cannot enable WCG. It says i cannot use apps in the WCG format. Before you ask, yes I have two different monitors connected to the same PC, but that's not what the problem stems from, as I've the correct one selected

Is it possible to enable WCG on a monitor without HDR? Why does it say it has WCG if i can't turn it on? Or is it turned on automatically?

What do you think?

Please don't be mean, I am not very tech savvy (bottom 5% of society).

Normally on WDG monitors there is one sRGB mode that limits the monitor to the SDR color space. As soon as you're out of that mode the monitor will normally run in it's native color gamut (wide).

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

3 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

Normally on WDG monitors there is one sRGB mode that limits the monitor to the SDR color space. As soon as you're out of that mode the monitor will normally run in it's native color gamut (wide).

So you think I am already running it in WCG?

As in, I am fine?

Steam says I am running 32 bits per pixel, does that mean WCG is enabled?

22 minutes ago, RTX2060Owner said:

So you think I am already running it in WCG?

Steam says I am running 32 bits per pixel, does that mean WCG is enabled?

The 32bit thing doesn't have anything to do with your monitor.

Most monitors run in their wide gamut modes out of the box. The only brand i know of that limits the monitor to sRGB out of the box is Asus.

24 minutes ago, RTX2060Owner said:

As in, I am fine?

That depends what you want. Running wide gamut will oversaturate the image. It basically makes the image more inaccurate by using the monitors full color space, not what the creator originally intended. But most people like the oversaturated look. If you want to have the most accurate colors, then using the sRGB mode (if your monitor has one) is the best choice as it then limits the monitor to the colors you need.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.