How long does a good PSU last?

candycane

I currently have a Corsair AX850 80 Plus Gold and I think it has been about 10 years now, should I look to get a new PSU or I can keep on using this current one?

6 minutes ago, candycane said:

I currently have a Corsair AX850 80 Plus Gold and I think it has been about 10 years now, should I look to get a new PSU or I can keep on using this current one?

Was going to say 10 years... 

6 minutes ago, candycane said:

The length of the warranty is directly proportional to how long the OEM expects the unit to last.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

7 minutes ago, candycane said:

我目前擁有 Corsair AX850 80 Plus Gold 並且我認為它已經大約 10 年了,我應該尋找新的 PSU 還是可以繼續使用當前的 PSU?

Personally think that you can wait for a major upgrade to replace it again

7 minutes ago, candycane said:

Depends on what GPU and build you want to use it for. It's a good PSU, but for a RTX 3000 card for example, it's not recommended to use an older PSU because of the high power draw and spikes. Just 850W isn't the only thing to look at.

2 minutes ago, FRD said:

Depends on what GPU and build you want to use it for. It's a good PSU, but for a RTX 3000 card for example, it's not recommended to use an older PSU because of the high power draw and spikes. Just 850W isn't the only thing to look at.

I currently have a Ryzen 7 3800x and a gtx 1080

1 minute ago, candycane said:

I currently have a Ryzen 7 3800x and a gtx 1080

In that case it should work fine. Enough wattage for your build and it can fit well with a GTX 1080 that's already a couple of years old. Even though the PSU is from 2010, I still see some people using it nowadays. Just if you want to be really safe and maybe make your PC more futureproof, then get a new PSU. For your current build you can use this one.

• 1 month later...
On 8/1/2021 at 1:56 AM, jonnyGURU said:

Was going to say 10 years... 

Should we proactively replace it at 10 years or is it safe to keep using it? 

I have a Corsair AX860 from 2014, spent half it's life in the box, so about 4 years usage - I'm wondering if its time to replace or what signs to monitor for?

RTX3070+5600X

Just watch the software readings for 3.3, 5, and 12v. If you see your 5v at 4.6, 3.3 at 2.8, and your 12v closer to 11v than 12v you should replace it. Same goes for crashes when the system is loaded, seemingly out of no where, but is repeatable.. is a bad sign. You can run hwinfo64 to log those for you.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's