How can I control the only fan on 1080

_C_H_R

So one of fan is broke and not spinning, I dismounted it from gpu and it is running with only one fan but when I turn on the pc it automatically starts spinning at full speed with a lot noise.

Heres a picture of gpu now. Anyone knows how to fix it before a new fan arrives?

113f59aa4459df73bda3adc3ee5b538.thumb.jpg.d3b50d5eb726d63853341d613619f386.jpg

I'd wait for the new fan to arrive. 

Would you rather wait a bit and have it working no problem, or potentially have heat damage in the intermittent time?

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT

yeap theres no point, the whole section with no fan will overheat in no time - and yes i know there probably isnt much pcb there, but still…

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

9 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

yeap theres no point, the whole section with no fan will overheat in no time - and yes i know there probably isnt much pcb there, but still…

On the contrary, that section covers the actual die. Granted I understand the die isn't getting directly cooled there but still, the main heatpipes aren't getting air. 

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted

23 minutes ago, cacoe said:

I'd wait for the new fan to arrive. 

Would you rather wait a bit and have it working now problem, or potentially have heat damage in the intermittent time?

But does it heat that much? yesterday I tried to do some basic office work and played league just for couple games the temperature never went above 50C. The new fan I pressume will still take 2-3weeks, btw I didnt find the exact version as the old fan so I tried to buy a similar with same size, 12V and 0.3Amp, there shouldnt be a problem right?

11 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Yeah, but I do need this pc to do my job as Im working from home... It actually didnt heat that much, even with office and other thing it went always below 40C and last night I tried 2-3 games on league and it goes around 40ish but no more than 50C. Am I good to keep running it with some low requirement thing like office and LoL?

This is HWmonitor right now..

HWmonitor1.png

12 minutes ago, _C_H_R said:

This is HWmonitor right now..

HWmonitor1.png

You can do it but you're risking it the entire time and your 2nd fan is likely running at full speed to try and compensate for the fact the other fan is missing. You asked a question, I feel we've given the best advice possible. You're going to be up the creek without a paddle if the card dies before your fan arrives. "yeah but" all you want, if you don't want the card to die, don't use it for now. If you need it for home work and you're adamant it's required for work, don't play LoL on it. (don't play anything on it, work should take precidence, and you're already risking it)

1 minute ago, cacoe said:

You can do it but you're risking it the entire time and your 2nd fan is likely running at full speed to try and compensate for the fact the other fan is missing. You asked a question, I feel we've given the best advice possible. You're going to be up the creek without a paddle if the card dies before your fan arrives. "yeah but" all you want, if you don't want the card to die, don't use it for now. If you need it for home work and you're adamant it's required for work, don't play LoL on it.

Thank you! I fully appreciate all the answers u guys are giving, I had some illusion that it may work fine even if I play some game. And compared to risking to damage the entire card I rather give up using it before the fans arrive. Not that I need this card for work it is just my cpu is AMD and it does not include an integrated graphic to boot without this card... 

Just now, _C_H_R said:

Thank you! I fully appreciate all the answers u guys are giving, I had some illusion that it may work fine even if I play some game. And compared to risking to damage the entire card I rather give up using it before the fans arrive. Not that I need this card for work it is just my cpu is AMD and it does not include an integrated graphic to boot without this card... 

Definitely use the APU in the meantime.

4 minutes ago, cacoe said:

Definitely use the APU in the meantime.

Can I boot pc with only ryzen 9 3900x? bc I searched for this and ppl say that I do need a graphic card..

Just now, _C_H_R said:

Can I boot pc with only ryzen 9 3900x? bc I searched for this and ppl say that I do need a graphic card..

Sorry, misread your comment, skimming because... I'm technically working lol 👀

No, this does not include an APU so if you need to, use the 1080 for work only. If you have a spare system fan, you could try using zip ties and that as a temporary measure. 

Sorry, misread your comment, skimming because... I'm technically working lol 👀

No, this does not include an APU so if you need to, use the 1080 for work only. If you have a spare system fan, you could try using zip ties and that as a temporary measure. 

Got it! thank you bud, one last question, if I buy a fan with same spec but from other brand does gpu recognize it automatically? Seems like this card is kinda rare in terms of brading and such, so I couldnt find the exact same fan to replace it. 

Just now, _C_H_R said:

Got it! thank you bud, one last question, if I buy a fan with same spec but from other brand does gpu recognize it automatically? Seems like this card is kinda rare in terms of brading and such, so I couldnt find the exact same fan to replace it. 

The fan probably needs to be the exact right size, and will likely have a proprietary connector, so the easiest way to get one might be buying a broken donor card that's just for spares.

Can you swap that fan over to the other position? Often how they're wired on cards is that only one fan sends speed feedback, when the card is missing fan speed feedback it just runs 100% fan speed as fallback for safety. I'm not sure how yours are wired, some cards have a splitter, some have the splitter connected to the fans, some use two fan headers, it varies.

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

Can you swap that fan over to the other position? Often how they're wired on cards is that only one fan sends speed feedback, when the card is missing fan speed feedback it just runs 100% fan speed as fallback for safety. I'm not sure how yours are wired, some cards have a splitter, some have the splitter connected to the fans, some use two fan headers, it varies.

It has a splitter, the one on GPU right now has the longer line that connects to gpu pcb, however I doubt I can swap to the other side due to its length... 

The fan probably needs to be the exact right size, and will likely have a proprietary connector, so the easiest way to get one might be buying a broken donor card that's just for spares.

I searched for this model, HP OEM GTX 1080, but barely found anyone whos selling broken part... thats why I went search on ebay, aliexpress and other trying to find a 4 pin fan with same size. Ill do a better search maybe I could find one.

If the card is using a reference cooler you might be able to just buy the whole cooler assembly from another card even if it's a different brand. Most GPU fans use the same mini header and you can buy an adapter to change that into standard 4 pin case fan header so you can run probably 90mm slim fans on that. I have a GTX 650 with a broken fan that I swapped a 90mm case fan onto, soldered the case fan leads to the original fan wiring. Fan runs quieter and moves more air than the original fan did as it covers the whole heat sink now. Likely double 90mm Noctua fans would cool better and run more silently than those original fans do but at the cost of being thicker and blocking the slot below the card, slim fans would leave the slot open but move a little less air. You'd have to attach with zip ties but you can do it nicely if you have the heat sink off the card, probably time for fresh thermal paste on the die anyway!

2 minutes ago, Bitter said:

If the card is using a reference cooler you might be able to just buy the whole cooler assembly from another card even if it's a different brand. Most GPU fans use the same mini header and you can buy an adapter to change that into standard 4 pin case fan header so you can run probably 90mm slim fans on that. I have a GTX 650 with a broken fan that I swapped a 90mm case fan onto, soldered the case fan leads to the original fan wiring. Fan runs quieter and moves more air than the original fan did as it covers the whole heat sink now. Likely double 90mm Noctua fans would cool better and run more silently than those original fans do but at the cost of being thicker and blocking the slot below the card, slim fans would leave the slot open but move a little less air. You'd have to attach with zip ties but you can do it nicely if you have the heat sink off the card, probably time for fresh thermal paste on the die anyway!

What does reference cooler means? Im planning to buy a 85mm*10mm and 40mm (Same size as originals) but from other brands.. Will it work normally, same 4 pin even with same V and Amp.

1 hour ago, cacoe said:

On the contrary, that section covers the actual die. Granted I understand the die isn't getting directly cooled there but still, the main heatpipes aren't getting air. 

oh you're right i thought its the other fan… yeah… thats no good.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

49 minutes ago, _C_H_R said:

What does reference cooler means? Im planning to buy a 85mm*10mm and 40mm (Same size as originals) but from other brands.. Will it work normally, same 4 pin even with same V and Amp.

Nvidia/AMD (Intel too I guess) all make a basic design for their graphics cards that board partners can copy or they can design their own cards. Often lower end and OEM cards are just copies of the 'reference' design put out because there's no in house design work needed. Likely that HP 1080 is a reference design, meaning that any other reference design should have the same cooler mounting and component locations, meaning the cooler from another reference card should fit right onto your card.

Not sure fans from other cards will work exactly correctly, but you can try it.

Now that I think of it, weren't the reference coolers and cards for 1080's blower? Well maybe never mind all the above.

6 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Nvidia/AMD (Intel too I guess) all make a basic design for their graphics cards that board partners can copy or they can design their own cards. Often lower end and OEM cards are just copies of the 'reference' design put out because there's no in house design work needed. Likely that HP 1080 is a reference design, meaning that any other reference design should have the same cooler mounting and component locations, meaning the cooler from another reference card should fit right onto your card.

Not sure fans from other cards will work exactly correctly, but you can try it.

Now that I think of it, weren't the reference coolers and cards for 1080's blower? Well maybe never mind all the above.

Does that means any other 1080 fan would work on this as its reference fan design??

3 hours ago, _C_H_R said:

Does that means any other 1080 fan would work on this as its reference fan design??

No, that card isn't a reference card. I was mistaken, reference design for a 1080 was a blower style card not an axial fan type. That card was made by someone for HP probably by the lowest bidder with the cheapest components and materials possible. I guess as long as the fan fits it'll probably work, but fan speed control may be a little funky if the replacement fan runs at a different speed, draws different wattage, or has a different control signal to fan speed curve. Only way you'll know is by trying!

Worst case, chuck the shroud off the card, get this adapter, and ziptie two 90mm case fans on it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113796551724

ASSUMING YOUR BOARD USES THAT CONNECTOR FOR FANS, IT'S HP AND THEIR JACK-ASSERY KNOWS NO LIMITS, TAKE IT APART AND CHECK BEFORE ORDERING. You may want to get a really cheap old GPU just to have display out while you fix this 1080. Sometimes you can score something like a R7 250 2GB or an HD8570 pretty cheap on eBay since they're pretty useless now a days for anything but display out.

That's  how I'm currently cooling my P106-100 mining card, moves a bunch of air and it's way quieter than the other fans I've tried on it.

5 hours ago, Bitter said:

No, that card isn't a reference card. I was mistaken, reference design for a 1080 was a blower style card not an axial fan type. That card was made by someone for HP probably by the lowest bidder with the cheapest components and materials possible. I guess as long as the fan fits it'll probably work, but fan speed control may be a little funky if the replacement fan runs at a different speed, draws different wattage, or has a different control signal to fan speed curve. Only way you'll know is by trying!

Worst case, chuck the shroud off the card, get this adapter, and ziptie two 90mm case fans on it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113796551724

ASSUMING YOUR BOARD USES THAT CONNECTOR FOR FANS, IT'S HP AND THEIR JACK-ASSERY KNOWS NO LIMITS, TAKE IT APART AND CHECK BEFORE ORDERING. You may want to get a really cheap old GPU just to have display out while you fix this 1080. Sometimes you can score something like a R7 250 2GB or an HD8570 pretty cheap on eBay since they're pretty useless now a days for anything but display out.

That's  how I'm currently cooling my P106-100 mining card, moves a bunch of air and it's way quieter than the other fans I've tried on it.

My fan conector is like this, you have this one with one input long line that connects to PSU and one short line to connect the other fan (which is the broken one in my case). Can I get a similar fan with same size and voltage but higher Amp? will it burn my psu?Cooler para placas de vídeo, 90mm (85mm) t129215sh 0.3a dc 12v 40mm * 40mm * 40mm com furos para montagem em placas de vídeo como substituição