Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My computer was working fine yesterday. It was on for about 8 hours and it didn't show any problems. Then, when I tried to boot up again, it refused to power up. It didn't show any signs of power. No sound, no lights, no fans spinning... like I was trying to power it up during a power outage.

I made sure the cable was in place, I tested three different cables, and I even tried a different power socket, all to no avail.

Suspecting either the PSU or the power button, I unplugged the power cable and left it as it was; I planned to call the retailer in the morning, considering that the computer is only two and a half years old and still under warranty.

I tried to boot it up today as soon as I woke up, and... it works. It shows no problems either.

Something like this happened to me once before, again late at night and showing the same symptoms, but I solved it by just removing the power cable and plugging it back in. So, this time around, it fixed itself after the cable was removed for around six hours? That doesn't make much sense.

How worried should I be?

Is the PSU the most likely culprit? It's an Antec Edge 550 80+ Gold, and it's only two years old. My motherboard is an MSI B450 Tomahwalk Max. So the parts are obviously of decent quality to just break down without any prior symptoms.

Hos safe is it to keep using it in this condition (if there even is a condition to worry about)?

4 hours ago, Katarn said:

How worried should I be?

Is the PSU the most likely culprit? It's an Antec Edge 550 80+ Gold, and it's only two years old. My motherboard is an MSI B450 Tomahwalk Max. So the parts are obviously of decent quality to just break down without any prior symptoms.

Hos safe is it to keep using it in this condition (if there even is a condition to worry about)?

Replace PSU, you definitely shorted the PSU.

Do you have a UPS connected to your computer, this would have prevented this from happening.

On 7/31/2021 at 4:44 PM, ET_Explorer said:

Replace PSU, you definitely shorted the PSU.

Do you have a UPS connected to your computer, this would have prevented this from happening.

Why do you think that? It is a quality PSU and it is relatively new. Moreover, if it is the PSU, how come I am able to use my computer during the day? It runs just fine, and I can work and game without any issues.

No, I don't have a UPS.

The thing is though, I've experienced this for three nights in a row now. If it happens again, I think I'll make another thread about the specific issue which seems to be that the computer shows no signs of power only at a specific time of day - and yes, that is as weird as it sounds.

20 minutes ago, Katarn said:

Why do you think that? It is a quality PSU and it is relatively new. Moreover, if it is the PSU, how come I am able to use my computer during the day? It runs just fine, and I can work and game without any issues.

Yet you stated in your original post " My computer was working fine yesterday. It was on for about 8 hours and it didn't show any problems. Then, when I tried to boot up again, it refused to power up. It didn't show any signs of power. No sound, no lights, no fans spinning... like I was trying to power it up during a power outage. " and " 

How worried should I be?

Is the PSU the most likely culprit? It's an Antec Edge 550 80+ Gold, and it's only two years old.

"

19 hours ago, ET_Explorer said:

Yet you stated in your original post " My computer was working fine yesterday. It was on for about 8 hours and it didn't show any problems. Then, when I tried to boot up again, it refused to power up. It didn't show any signs of power. No sound, no lights, no fans spinning... like I was trying to power it up during a power outage. " and " 

How worried should I be?

Is the PSU the most likely culprit? It's an Antec Edge 550 80+ Gold, and it's only two years old.

"

How does that necessarily point to the PSU being shorted? I said other things too. And citing me without any elaboration does not answer any of the other questions I asked, it only shows that I suspected the PSU as a possible culprit, which is far from conclusive evidence that it is the PSU, especially in light of the other things I said.

On 8/3/2021 at 7:55 AM, Katarn said:

How does that necessarily point to the PSU being shorted? I said other things too. And citing me without any elaboration does not answer any of the other questions I asked, it only shows that I suspected the PSU as a possible culprit, which is far from conclusive evidence that it is the PSU, especially in light of the other things I said.

So what exactly is wrong with your computer other than you can't power it up even though you can?

On 8/5/2021 at 2:49 AM, ET_Explorer said:

So what exactly is wrong with your computer other than you can't power it up even though you can?

The fact that it refuses to power up at a specific time of day, which alludes to either some extremely obscure hardware issue, or some kind of setting in the mobo that I have not made myself.

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1361966-refuses-to-power-up-at-3-am-mystery-question-and-im-serious/?tab=comments#comment-14911689