rx 6800xt not performing well in games, reinstall after or before new cpu?

Rijsberman

Hi there! I was wondering if I should reinstall my windows now, or wait till in 2 weeks

Why 2 weeks; then I am getting my 5600x with new cpu cooler. I have a ryzen 3600 now  on an asrock b450 pro4 mobo. I will have to flash the mobo to be able to put the 5600x on, but do I reinstall windows after the mobo flash, or am I fine before?

Why now? Just built this new rig and replaced everything but the ram, mobo and cpu so im hyped. But I do want max performance

The performance isnt there atm on my 6800xt. It is there in time spy but not in games, but I did switch nvidia to amd like 4 times on this install. DDU used but still

Advice? 🙂

If you want to do a reinstall, it shouldn't make a difference down the line with a CPU upgrade as all your chipset drivers and such will be the same regardless.

Whether it will fix your problem is another matter, but I'd say just give it a go, if you're already planning on doing it anyway, shouldn't hurt.

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT

36 minutes ago, cacoe said:

If you want to do a reinstall, it shouldn't make a difference down the line with a CPU upgrade as all your chipset drivers and such will be the same regardless.

Whether it will fix your problem is another matter, but I'd say just give it a go, if you're already planning on doing it anyway, shouldn't hurt.

Also wont Hurt when u flash the mobo and update that? In combination with existing Windows? 

1 minute ago, Rijsberman said:

Also wont Hurt when u flash the mobo and update that? In combination with existing Windows? 

That should be fine too, it should allow forward compatibility, but not break backwards compatibility.

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted

11 minutes ago, cacoe said:

That should be fine too, it should allow forward compatibility, but not break backwards compatibility.

Some BIOS updates actually remove bc, hence it would advisable to read the instructions on the mobo manufacturer site beforehand.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

8 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Some BIOS updates actually remove bc, hence it would advisable to read the instructions on the mobo manufacturer site beforehand.

True but their bios site specifies that they don't recommend to the latest BIOS versions for 2xxx/1xxx ryzen processors, and even at that, it doesn't explicitly state they aren't supported, just not recommended. op should be fine with a 3600.

5 hours ago, cacoe said:

True but their bios site specifies that they don't recommend to the latest BIOS versions for 2xxx/1xxx ryzen processors, and even at that, it doesn't explicitly state they aren't supported, just not recommended. op should be fine with a 3600.

I thought I saw in a tutorial it removes BC 😮 but u found on the site it doesnt? Im gonna dive into this tomorrow since I have a visitor now. But if i flash it and it isnt imnscrewed lol. If not then would be smart to prepare already 😮

33 minutes ago, Rijsberman said:

I thought I saw in a tutorial it removes BC 😮 but u found on the site it doesnt? Im gonna dive into this tomorrow since I have a visitor now. But if i flash it and it isnt imnscrewed lol. If not then would be smart to prepare already 😮

I still emplore you to double check because it's all at stake for you, but as far as I can see, their latest BIOS which does have Ryzen 5000 support states the following - 

*ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if you are going to use Pinnacle, Raven or Summit Ridge CPU on your system.

Which would include the following CPUs:

Spoiler

1300X
PRO 1200
PRO 1300
1500X
1600X
PRO 1500
PRO 1600
1700X
1800X
PRO 1700
PRO 1700X
200GE
220G
240GE
PRO 200GE
2200G
2200GE
2200U
2300U
PRO 2200G
PRO 2200GE
PRO 2300U
2400G
2400GE
2500U
2600H
PRO 2400G
PRO 2400GE
PRO 2500U
2700U
2800H
PRO 2700U    

2300X
2500X
2600E
2600X
PRO 2600
2700E
2700X Gold Edition
2700X
PRO 2700
PRO 2700X

BTW.... BC?

25 minutes ago, cacoe said:

BTW.... BC?

Backwards

Compatibility

: )

well, it doesnt  look like it removes bc for 3000 series (matisse?) but these manufacturer descriptions and board "names" are often really confusing, arbitary, and not necessarily true or complete (especially true for msi) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

Backwards

Compatibility

well, it doesnt  look like it removes bc for 3000 series (matisse?) but these manufacturer descriptions and board "names" are often really confusing, arbitary, and not necessarily true or complete (especially true for msi) 

I agree, it would have made more sense just to say Ryzen 1xxx and gen 2xxx, had to Google those models.

20 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Backwards

Compatibility

20 hours ago, cacoe said:

I agree, it would have made more sense just to say Ryzen 1xxx and gen 2xxx, had to Google those models.

So https://www.asrock.com/mb/Amd/B450 Pro4/#BIOS

I find '' Update AMD AGESA ComboAM4v2 1.2.0.2 '' 

I should just grab that newest version right? I tried searching far and wide how the compatibility is for that ''comboam4v2'' but cant rllly find? Must be 2000 3000 and 5000 series or am i crazy?

1 minute ago, Rijsberman said:

So https://www.asrock.com/mb/Amd/B450 Pro4/#BIOS

I find '' Update AMD AGESA ComboAM4v2 1.2.0.2 '' 

I should just grab that newest version right? I tried searching far and wide how the compatibility is for that ''comboam4v2'' but cant rllly find? Must be 2000 3000 and 5000 series or am i crazy?

According to thier own documentation, the latest should be fine with 3xxx+5xxx so there shouldn't be a problem.

4 minutes ago, cacoe said:

According to thier own documentation, the latest should be fine with 3xxx+5xxx so there shouldn't be a problem.

Nice!! Now I Just have to not mess the flashing up 😄 the YouTube tutorials are very clear though

I feel like I should add some disclaimer about not being a doctor or lawyer or something here 😅

Hehehe i Will try to not mess it up xxx. But i thought i saw it was reversable IF u mess up nowadays so il be okay

2 minutes ago, cacoe said:

I feel like I should add some disclaimer about not being a doctor or lawyer or something here 😅