WAN show debriefing forum subsection

7heo
3 hours ago, 7heo said:

I was hoping to leverage this community's potential, turning a monologue into a dialogue, while keeping things tidy, also helping the LTT staff to find feedback if they ever wanted to. There are numerous examples of topics about which Linus wishes to have community feedback; and he usually uses strawpoll.me to do so.

There are two notes about this. One is that if LMG would want per-episode feedback, they could still do it (timed thread, edit on Monday with timestamps). It would be crude for sure, and a lot of people would whine about just that. Because reasons. But it is still one way of doing things. The General Discussion forum is for giving feedback on those LMG videos that don't have their own threads, or channel/content in general. As there might be weeks at the time where you don't get anything in WAN that hasn't already been active discussion already. Usually things that get thread after WAN are about LMG inside changes and news that are announced on WAN. So last week was the Framework thing, before that there was already discussion on Blizzard and Win11 as those were active in the middle of the week. So just for this, I would agree with @Spotty that you make a thread when you want to discuss on something special. That keeps discussion within lines and easy to follow. With drawback being that those threads will die out in few days usually.

The second point is about feedback. Yes, Linus weekly says something where he hints about wanting feedback or does poll. Most of the time these are more about how one would run live talk-show. You ask question and audience reacts to it. So those, reading chat and Strawpoll.me's are more about show than actual feedback. Even when its seemingly about important things, its more likely that those will give only nudge. It might be important nudge or less important, but Linus is not (I hope) that stupid to think that making poll in live show with fraction of his audience watching actually reflects what his audience wants.

Coming to actual point. The feedback he wants would be in video comments, be it on YT, on FP, or even by someone making a thread on forums to discuss it further, Which again comes to previous point.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

you make a thread when you want to discuss on something special.

Yeah, that's where we disagree. Basically, there are three (that I identified) ways of structuring that information:

1. One thread per WAN show topic, "on demand", randomly scattered around. (the current way)
  2. One thread per WAN show episode, with topics randomly mixed inside. (my suggestion)
  3. One thread for the WAN show in general, with "rolling release" discussions, and anyone wanting to discuss a past show will create noise wrt the subsequent WAN shows. (@BondiBlue's suggestion)

I believe 2 is the best, because things are kept in one place, and not mixed up with any other thread in the forum. 1 could also work as well, if there was a WAN show forum subsection, and if people prefixed their topics with the WAN show episode it is related to. Without that forum subsection, however, having multiple seemingly unrelated threads pop up "randomly" is IMHO too anarchic a way to do things; for everyone involved. People like me don't find the threads easily (and there are multiple ones to follow), and LMG staff probably don't follow them too closely either.

You ask question and audience reacts to it. So those, reading chat and Strawpoll.me's are more about show than actual feedback.

There I disagree completely. I don't think Linus is a classical business "show man" that only acts to increase their audience, calculates exposures and pre-determines that he will interact with the the viewers for the sole purpose of drawing more people to the show.

I think he does it because he is genuinely interested in the feedback from the community; but then cannot proceed further, because harsh truth is: there is a limited number of f*cks anyone can give per any amount of time, and in the case of someone with his level of fame, that number already fully allocated, or at best very close to. So I think there's a drive from him to interact with people, but then realistically, he does not have the attention/time to do more than a strawpoll.me. Unless, maybe, if we organize things here, and make them easy to digest. I dunno, I might be wrong, but I have a hunch this could lead to something, and maybe help.

Even when its seemingly about important things, its more likely that those will give only nudge.

Yeah, I'm aware of that; he isn't clueless and isn't asking for us to guide him, not at all. But at the same time, unless we actually make ourselves heard in a structured manner, there's no saying to what extent we can help. There's no way to know, since we haven't tried. I mean, maybe I analyze his logic in a way that is closer to mine than his, I can't tell since I actually don't know him at all; I am probably missing some important facts since I don't have his experience (let alone any youtuber experience)...

But what I see is that even if he or LMG in general would be interested in getting more from this community, there's absolutely no way that's happening, given how loosely the information is structured: If I am working, and in crunch mode (which seems to be his "normal" mode), I will never take the time to skim a forum (no matter if it has my name on it) on the off chance there is a helpful contribution.

Linus is not (I hope) that stupid to think that making poll in live show with fraction of his audience watching actually reflects what his audience wants.

Agreed.

Coming to actual point. The feedback he wants would be in video comments, be it on YT, on FP, or even by someone making a thread on forums to discuss it further, Which again comes to previous point.

Fair. I mean, that actually makes sense. However, I want for years to be a paying floatplane member and can't. I even wrote @Slick about it when I joined the forum (I know, now, it was hopeless: there's no way he has the time to answer me). Now about using a YouTube account, I have a personal problem with that (plus, being heard on YT is rather unlikely given the amount of viewers there). So I guess I'll keep on using this forum until I have a better solution that actually works. 🙂

Isn't windows three-sixty-five just a more recent version of windows three-eleven?