Can I use the same cables so I don't have to rewire?

Hello I just have a question that I cannot find a solid answer for on the internet.

Currently I have a system that runs with a 

750 Watt - CORSAIR RM750 80 PLUS Gold power supply and I have an MSI gaming x Trio RTX 3090, AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, 32 GB of G.skill Ripjaws 3200 DDR4 memory, and a 1 terrabyte nvme m.2 ssd. I do not like the fact that I have a 750 watt PSU supplying power for a Ryzen 9 and an RTX 3090 and would like to have a 1000 watt power supply instead. I really do not feel like re wiring the PC so I am curious if I buy the Corsair RMx (2021) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply could I just replace the PSU itself and plug the previous cables into it without issue?

Depends which RM750 you have. The RMx uses type 4 cables. If it's the old RM you have you would need to replace the motherboard power cable, but the rest would be the same  If it's the new RM all of the cables are the same.

This is only true if you replace it with the RMx (or any of Corsair's type 4 cable compatible power supplies). If you replace it with a different power supply you'll need to change the cables.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Unless it is the IDENTICAL model, NO.

Corsair has changed their models multiple times, theres like a 2015/16 model, a 2018 model and a 2021 model.

Anyway im pretty sure Corsairs website would have somewhere that tells you definitively if its compatible, but I believe I saw somewhere the RMX 2021 series changed the wires, so id say its a extremely probably no.

System Specs: AMD 5950x PBO-AutoNoctua DH-15 Black | Gigabyte x570 MasterEVGA 3080FTW3 Ultra | (2x16gb) G.Skill Royal 3600mhz CL18 | Corsair 5000D Airflow (Black) Samsung 980 Pro 2TB & Firecuda 520 1TB & Crucial MX500 2tb850W Corsair RMX | 2 Noctua A14 CPU, 6 Noctua A12x25 Intake, 3x Noctua F12 Top Exhaust, 1x Noctua A12x25 Back Exhaust

Monitors: (Main) LG Ultragear 34" 2k Ultrawide 144hz IPS '34GP83A-B' (Side) Acer Predator 27" 2k 144hz TN 'Abmiprz'

Peripherals: Corsair K100 OPX | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Corsair Virtuoso SE | Audioengine A2+

Man idk why this prebuilt came with a 750 watt power supply with the hardware being used. I mean I stressed everything to the max and calculated approx 640~670 watts of power draw without overclock

13 minutes ago, Nasp11 said:

Man idk why this prebuilt came with a 750 watt power supply with the hardware being used. I mean I stressed everything to the max and calculated approx 640~670 watts of power draw without overclock

You don't want to be using every last watt your PSU is capable of supplying. You need headroom. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

36 minutes ago, Nasp11 said:

Since this is a prebuilt, your PSU is most likely either 2019 RM or 2021 RM, which both use Corsair Type 4 cables.
If that's the case, then its cables are compatible with all RMx, RMi, HX Platinum, AX Titanium, and AX1600i.
The 24pin cable is not compatible with HXi, keep that in mind.

Most complete compatibility list I could find (CX-F and RM 2021 are missing) : https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025611351-PSU-Cable-Compatibility

As long as the PSU is not causing you any issue, you can keep using it without buying a new one.
Not all games generate crazy transient power draw spikes that cause the PSU to shut down, which means you will not necessarily have issues with your current PSU.

(One game that is known to cause issues is Shadow of the Tomb Raider)

This kind of stuff pops up every time.

Why do all these PSU brands use such dumb connectors with absolute sh!it compatibility acrosss different brands and even across their own freaking lineup?

So why not just use exactly the same type of connector that's on the hardware side? Just have 24 pin, PCIe power, CPU power, molex etc. connectors on the PSU itself too and make the cables completely symmetrical. I guess manufacturers might actually not want it to be that easy because the current method does allow you to sell more cables.

19 minutes ago, akio123008 said:

This kind of stuff pops up every time.

Why do all these PSU brands use such dumb connectors with absolute sh!it compatibility acrosss different brands and even across their own freaking lineup?

So why not just use exactly the same type of connector that's on the hardware side? Just have 24 pin, PCIe power, CPU power, molex etc. connectors on the PSU itself too and make the cables completely symmetrical. I guess manufacturers might actually not want it to be that easy because the current method does allow you to sell more cables.

*tin foil hat intensifies*

All the different manufacturers just decided on how to make the pinouts on the PSU sides at roughly the same time, depending on what was convenient for their own PSUs. That's why there's no standard. CPU and PCIe power connectors are different from each other on the component side, but the PSU side is typically the same for both. And how would you make the SATA and 4 pin Molex connectors symmetrical?

1 hour ago, Nasp11 said:

"PSU calculators" are useless, and are made to fool gullible people. Ignore the numbers from those. Also, why would the prebuilt come with a 750W PSU if they hadn't tested it and made sure it was enough?

:)

39 minutes ago, seon123 said:

*tin foil hat intensifies*

Haha.

I don't think they're actively working against it, but I do think there's no real reason for them to try to improve it either; it's extra R&D for no financial gain

47 minutes ago, seon123 said:

CPU and PCIe power connectors are different from each other on the component side, but the PSU side is typically the same for both. And how would you make the SATA and 4 pin Molex connectors symmetrical?

You'd have a separate port for CPU and GPU power on the PSU, as I don't see the extra convenience of having them be the same port.

As for SATA and molex, what's the issue with having a molex or SATA port on a power supply? Just use the same port that's on a drive. (using a male side on the source source is seen as not-done due to exposed live pins, as in, an energised power plug, but in this case, it's only 12V, and it's for low power components, I don't see the problem)

4 hours ago, Middcore said:

You don't want to be using every last watt your PSU is capable of supplying

This doesn't matter. PSUs are made to be able to run at 100%, and usually can be run up to ~120% before OCP sets in.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

36 minutes ago, Elisis said:

This doesn't matter. PSUs are made to be able to run at 100%, and usually can be run up to ~120% before OCP sets in.

Can does not equal should. Efficiency sweet spot is also well under the max rated wattage.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

32 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Efficiency sweet spot is also well under the max rated wattage.

Ah yes, I'm sure the 2% efficiency increase is very imperative. The "efficiency sweet spot" is a load of pointless bs

34 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Can does not equal should

Good PSUs are literally designed to run at these kinds of loads...

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

1 hour ago, Elisis said:

probably less safe if your PSU is running over 100% when your power goes out or has a surge than if you had substantial headroom.

System Specs: AMD 5950x PBO-AutoNoctua DH-15 Black | Gigabyte x570 MasterEVGA 3080FTW3 Ultra | (2x16gb) G.Skill Royal 3600mhz CL18 | Corsair 5000D Airflow (Black) Samsung 980 Pro 2TB & Firecuda 520 1TB & Crucial MX500 2tb850W Corsair RMX | 2 Noctua A14 CPU, 6 Noctua A12x25 Intake, 3x Noctua F12 Top Exhaust, 1x Noctua A12x25 Back Exhaust

Monitors: (Main) LG Ultragear 34" 2k Ultrawide 144hz IPS '34GP83A-B' (Side) Acer Predator 27" 2k 144hz TN 'Abmiprz'

Peripherals: Corsair K100 OPX | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Corsair Virtuoso SE | Audioengine A2+

5 hours ago, seon123 said:

"PSU calculators" are useless, and are made to fool gullible people.

Actually that's pretty close to what it is, I hit 720W OCed.

5 hours ago, seon123 said:

Also, why would the prebuilt come with a 750W PSU if they hadn't tested it and made sure it was enough?

You have much more confidence in places like CyberPower or Dell than I do.

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)