Why can't Nvidia and AMD increase production rates to combat the low stock ?

a poor scientist

Because it takes YEARS to build a processor fabrication plant and those things usually don't just sit around idle so you either have to wait for openings in the fabrication plant schedule or bump other projects (which will cost money). And that's just the GPU chip itself. The card has dozens or hundreds of other components on it too and you have to ask all of them to make more stuff… and if they don't have it laying around or already in production then you have to wait months or years for them to produce the parts.

It sucks to not be able to build a card because a single inductor on the card is out of stock and the company can't produce any more for a year, but stuff like that happens. You can change the design to work around that but that takes time too, especially if the new part is a different size and requires changes to the board… more changes means more testing as well to verify that the new product performs as expected. And what if the testing reveals that it doesn't perform as well as expected?

These things are super complicated and take years to design, often with many generations of the product in different design stages at once.

/////////////////////////////////////

sai mahith

/youtuber/programmer/freelancer/kid

4 minutes ago, a poor scientist said:

Because it takes YEARS to build a processor fabrication plant and those things usually don't just sit around idle so you either have to wait for openings in the fabrication plant schedule or bump other projects (which will cost money). And that's just the GPU chip itself. The card has dozens or hundreds of other components on it too and you have to ask all of them to make more stuff… and if they don't have it laying around or already in production then you have to wait months or years for them to produce the parts.

It sucks to not be able to build a card because a single inductor on the card is out of stock and the company can't produce any more for a year, but stuff like that happens. You can change the design to work around that but that takes time too, especially if the new part is a different size and requires changes to the board… more changes means more testing as well to verify that the new product performs as expected. And what if the testing reveals that it doesn't perform as well as expected?

These things are super complicated and take years to design, often with many generations of the product in different design stages at once.

/////////////////////////////////////

sai mahith

what is the purpose of this post? I think everybody knows this...

😳
Not that active so I may not respond.

are you answering your own question? lol

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

24 minutes ago, Cool_Evlo said:

what is the purpose of this post? I think everybody knows this...

I wouldn't think everybody knows this but on the other hand, the people who do need to know this won't see it.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

I wouldn't think everybody knows this but on the other hand, the people who do need to know this won't see it.

Hmm, GPU companies suppliers cant produce enough resources to make the graphics cards, well they should just make more then!

😳
Not that active so I may not respond.

Ok, but why don't they just make more?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

4 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Ok, but why don't they just make more?

see, u have understannd how they made

3 minutes ago, a poor scientist said:

see, u have understannd how they made

If I'm eating popcorn and I run out, I go make more. They're eating chips and they run out, so they should just go make more chips.

just make more factories

no money? just print more money

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Moonzy said:

just make more factories

no money? just print more money

it is expensive to build more processor fabrication plant

The publicized cost was estimated to be 2.6 billi. About fifteen years ago, the cost of setting up a new state-of-the-art semiconductor fab was estimated to be around 4~5 billion USD. Adjusting for inflation today ( Inflation Calculator) it corresponds to a 50% increase, so it would be about 7.5 billion USD.  u will give the money?

3 minutes ago, a poor scientist said:

it is expensive to build more processor fabrication plant

Don't they have billions?

How much does a factory cost?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Don't they have billions?

How much does a factory cost?

As of June 2021, Nvidia has an estimated net worth of more than $150 billion. It has a total asset of $13.292 billion and equity worth $9.342 billion. The company earned $3.047 billion in the 2018 fiscal year and total annual revenue of $9.714 billion, which is 40.6% more than the previous fiscal cycle.

9 minutes ago, a poor scientist said:

As of June 2021, Nvidia has an estimated net worth of more than $150 billion. It has a total asset of $13.292 billion and equity worth $9.342 billion. The company earned $3.047 billion in the 2018 fiscal year and total annual revenue of $9.714 billion, which is 40.6% more than the previous fiscal cycle.

So why don't they just build more factories with all that money? Then they can build more chips.

I don't know why you copied and pasted an answer from a 3 year old Quora post or copied an exert from an article to our forum, but don't. The forum is to have discussions, not just copy and paste random quotes and articles you find online.

https://www.quora.com/Why-cant-Nvidia-and-AMD-increase-production-rates-to-combat-the-low-stock-due-to-mining

https://www.wealthypersons.com/nvidia-net-worth-2020-2021/

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450