Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why can't Nvidia and AMD increase production rates to combat the low stock ?

Because it takes YEARS to build a processor fabrication plant and those things usually don't just sit around idle so you either have to wait for openings in the fabrication plant schedule or bump other projects (which will cost money). And that's just the GPU chip itself. The card has dozens or hundreds of other components on it too and you have to ask all of them to make more stuff… and if they don't have it laying around or already in production then you have to wait months or years for them to produce the parts.

It sucks to not be able to build a card because a single inductor on the card is out of stock and the company can't produce any more for a year, but stuff like that happens. You can change the design to work around that but that takes time too, especially if the new part is a different size and requires changes to the board… more changes means more testing as well to verify that the new product performs as expected. And what if the testing reveals that it doesn't perform as well as expected?

These things are super complicated and take years to design, often with many generations of the product in different design stages at once.

/////////////////////////////////////

sai mahith

/youtuber/programmer/freelancer/kid

4 minutes ago, a poor scientist said:

Because it takes YEARS to build a processor fabrication plant and those things usually don't just sit around idle so you either have to wait for openings in the fabrication plant schedule or bump other projects (which will cost money). And that's just the GPU chip itself. The card has dozens or hundreds of other components on it too and you have to ask all of them to make more stuff… and if they don't have it laying around or already in production then you have to wait months or years for them to produce the parts.

It sucks to not be able to build a card because a single inductor on the card is out of stock and the company can't produce any more for a year, but stuff like that happens. You can change the design to work around that but that takes time too, especially if the new part is a different size and requires changes to the board… more changes means more testing as well to verify that the new product performs as expected. And what if the testing reveals that it doesn't perform as well as expected?

These things are super complicated and take years to design, often with many generations of the product in different design stages at once.

/////////////////////////////////////

sai mahith

what is the purpose of this post? I think everybody knows this...

are you answering your own question? lol

NOT A PROFESSIONAL, just a tech nerd. I am a human and can be incorrect. dont forget to quote me and put full specs in troubleshooting posts

Main Setup (all prices in USD since its pretty widespread and well known)    PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 1400 CPU - $85, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue CPU Cooler - $25, Biostar B450MH AM4 Motherboard - $65, Timetec 16GB (2x8) 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 RAM - $60, Adata SU650 240GB M.2 SSD - $30, WD Caviar Blue 250GB 7200RPM HDD - $20, Seagate Barracuda  320GB 7200RPM HDD - $20, MSI Aero Nvidia GTX 1060 3GB GPU - $200, Cougar MG130G Micro-ATX Case - $50, Aresgame AGK750 Fully Modular 80+ Gold PSU - $90, HP 22EB 21.5" 1080P 60Hz Monitor - $100, Samsung 21.5" 2S22E450D 1080P 60Hz Monitor - $90, Sceptre E205-W 19.5" 1600-3R 900P 75Hz Monitor - $70, GK73X Hot-Swappable Mechanical Keyboard (Gateron Red Switches) - $70, HK Gaming Dye Sub Chalk Keycaps - $40, Steelseries Rival 3 Mouse - $30, Aresgame RGB Mouse Pad - Came with bundle, Random XXL Amazon Mouse Pad - $10, Widesen USB Condenser Mic - $20, Gertisan Mic Arm - $12 (adapter needed, + $4), OneOdio Over Ear Headphones - $33, Cooler Master SickleFlow 120MM Blue Fan - $10, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal Fan 2 Pack - $45, Cougar 120MM Case Fan - Included with MG 130G

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

Rack Project PC (1)

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-2400 CPU - $25, Vetroo L5 CPU Cooler - $30, Dell Optiplex 390 LGA 1155 Motherboard - $15, G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB (2x8) 1866MHz CL10 DDR3 RAM  - $50, Leven 120GB 2.5" SSD - $22, MSI Aero Nvidia GTX 1050 TI 4GB - $150, Segotep GP 600W Non-Modular 80+ Gold PSU - $52, Tecware Spectre RGB Pro Mechanical Keyboard (Outemu Brown Switches) - $70, Pictek T16 Mouse - $23

Rack Project PC (2)

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-2400 CPU - $25, Enermax ETS-N31 CPU Cooler - $25, Dell Optiplex 390 LGA 1155 Motherboard - $15, 8GB (2x4) Hynix 1600MHz CL11 DDR3 RAM - $30, Leven 120GB 2.5" SSD - $22, Intel HD 2000 Graphics - Integrated into CPU, Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 600W Non-Modular 80+ PSU - $50, HP Office Keyboard - $5, Havit Mouse - $10

"I had the parts lying around" PC

Spoiler

AMD A8-4555M CPU, "Stock" Cooler, Coinmine ITX Motherboard - ($Total of 3=$35), 8GB (2x4) Hynix 1333MHz CLsomething DDR3 SODIMM RAM - $22, HP 120GB 2.5" SSD - $203, AMD Radeon 7600G Graphics - Integrated into CPU, EVGA N1 400W Non-Modular PSU - $40, InWin 303 (Yes, I know its a ridiculously expensive and high end case for this type of build. I got one for free and had it lying around.) - $90, Thermaltake Riing 120MM Blue Fan (x3) - $17 Each, Cooler Master 120MM Case Fan - $10, Redragon S107 Keyboard + Mouse + Mouse Pad - $37

Other parts I have lying around

Spoiler

3 Dell Optiplex Stock Coolers (1 broken), Cooler Master T2 Cooler, Intel Stock Cooler, Replace Power 420W PSU, Broken FX-8350, Broken Asrock 970 Motherboard, 2x4GB DDR3 RAM 1333MHz, a Dell Office KB, a bunch of office mice

Dell Inspiron 15-3575 Laptop

Spoiler

Intel Celeron N4000 CPU, 4GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Activated 64 Bit, 500GB HDD, Intel UHD 600 Graphics

Gateway Vintage Laptop from 2006 probably

Spoiler

Intel Core 2 Duo T5500, 3GB RAM, Windows Vista Home Premium Activated 32 Bit, 250GB HDD, Intel 965 Graphics

24 minutes ago, Cool_Evlo said:

what is the purpose of this post? I think everybody knows this...

I wouldn't think everybody knows this but on the other hand, the people who do need to know this won't see it.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

I wouldn't think everybody knows this but on the other hand, the people who do need to know this won't see it.

Hmm, GPU companies suppliers cant produce enough resources to make the graphics cards, well they should just make more then!

Ok, but why don't they just make more?

Sincerely,

me

4 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Ok, but why don't they just make more?

see, u have understannd how they made

3 minutes ago, a poor scientist said:

see, u have understannd how they made

If I'm eating popcorn and I run out, I go make more. They're eating chips and they run out, so they should just go make more chips.

Sincerely,

me

just make more factories

no money? just print more money

My PCs: Desky | Beddie | Miney | Benchie

Things I need help with: (nothing at the moment)

Spoiler

none atm

I hate Intel's pricing, Ryzen's weird quirks, Nvidia's pricing, and Radeon GPUs in general

Spoiler

Products I like:

Spoiler

Sony Xperia Z1 / Z2 / 10 ii, Asus Strix 970 / 1070, Samsung SSD, WD HDD, Corsair PSUs (AX, RM, CX(grey)), GeForce GPU, NZXT N450/S340, be quiet! Coolers, G.Skill Trident RAM, Logitech M525, Logitech G440, Razer Deathadder Elite

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Xperia Z3, XiaoMi 5c, Radeon GPUs, Razer Audio Products, any bloatwares

Companies I absolutely adore: (and hope it stays that way)

Spoiler

be quiet! - sent me AM4 mounting for my DRP3 even though it's way past the timeframe stated, no questions asked

Corsair - very good RMA experience, absolutely recommend

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Nvidia, Intel, Apple, TMT (Thundermatch, a retailer)

Personal Blacklisted Companies:

Spoiler

Acer: shit tier quality products, shit tier customer service thus far, they "tried" to solve my issue but they arent really doing anything but delaying and delaying. (on-going case since July)

Gigabyte: horrible customer service (gigabyte had literally 0 customer service, asked me to go to retailer with NO WAY to email them about a question) but at least they fixed my shit in ONE MONTH (would probably take me 1 hour to fix if they let me email them)

XiaoMi Phones: built like a tank but the software is buggy as all hell

Seagate HDD: had too many dead seagate drives

Kingston SSD: 300V controller swap thingy

Razer (except their mouse)

Remember, just because I had good/bad experiences with these companies/product, doesn't mean you will have similar experiences too. I would still recommend these products if they made sense for your needs, but I'll add a disclaimer of my experience if it's relevant. Feel free to DM me asking why they are where they are.

Just now, Moonzy said:

just make more factories

no money? just print more money

it is expensive to build more processor fabrication plant

The publicized cost was estimated to be 2.6 billi. About fifteen years ago, the cost of setting up a new state-of-the-art semiconductor fab was estimated to be around 4~5 billion USD. Adjusting for inflation today ( Inflation Calculator) it corresponds to a 50% increase, so it would be about 7.5 billion USD.  u will give the money?

3 minutes ago, a poor scientist said:

it is expensive to build more processor fabrication plant

Don't they have billions?

How much does a factory cost?

My PCs: Desky | Beddie | Miney | Benchie

Things I need help with: (nothing at the moment)

Spoiler

none atm

I hate Intel's pricing, Ryzen's weird quirks, Nvidia's pricing, and Radeon GPUs in general

Spoiler

Products I like:

Spoiler

Sony Xperia Z1 / Z2 / 10 ii, Asus Strix 970 / 1070, Samsung SSD, WD HDD, Corsair PSUs (AX, RM, CX(grey)), GeForce GPU, NZXT N450/S340, be quiet! Coolers, G.Skill Trident RAM, Logitech M525, Logitech G440, Razer Deathadder Elite

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Xperia Z3, XiaoMi 5c, Radeon GPUs, Razer Audio Products, any bloatwares

Companies I absolutely adore: (and hope it stays that way)

Spoiler

be quiet! - sent me AM4 mounting for my DRP3 even though it's way past the timeframe stated, no questions asked

Corsair - very good RMA experience, absolutely recommend

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Nvidia, Intel, Apple, TMT (Thundermatch, a retailer)

Personal Blacklisted Companies:

Spoiler

Acer: shit tier quality products, shit tier customer service thus far, they "tried" to solve my issue but they arent really doing anything but delaying and delaying. (on-going case since July)

Gigabyte: horrible customer service (gigabyte had literally 0 customer service, asked me to go to retailer with NO WAY to email them about a question) but at least they fixed my shit in ONE MONTH (would probably take me 1 hour to fix if they let me email them)

XiaoMi Phones: built like a tank but the software is buggy as all hell

Seagate HDD: had too many dead seagate drives

Kingston SSD: 300V controller swap thingy

Razer (except their mouse)

Remember, just because I had good/bad experiences with these companies/product, doesn't mean you will have similar experiences too. I would still recommend these products if they made sense for your needs, but I'll add a disclaimer of my experience if it's relevant. Feel free to DM me asking why they are where they are.

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Don't they have billions?

How much does a factory cost?

As of June 2021, Nvidia has an estimated net worth of more than $150 billion. It has a total asset of $13.292 billion and equity worth $9.342 billion. The company earned $3.047 billion in the 2018 fiscal year and total annual revenue of $9.714 billion, which is 40.6% more than the previous fiscal cycle.

9 minutes ago, a poor scientist said:

As of June 2021, Nvidia has an estimated net worth of more than $150 billion. It has a total asset of $13.292 billion and equity worth $9.342 billion. The company earned $3.047 billion in the 2018 fiscal year and total annual revenue of $9.714 billion, which is 40.6% more than the previous fiscal cycle.

So why don't they just build more factories with all that money? Then they can build more chips.

Sincerely,

me

I don't know why you copied and pasted an answer from a 3 year old Quora post or copied an exert from an article to our forum, but don't. The forum is to have discussions, not just copy and paste random quotes and articles you find online.

https://www.quora.com/Why-cant-Nvidia-and-AMD-increase-production-rates-to-combat-the-low-stock-due-to-mining

https://www.wealthypersons.com/nvidia-net-worth-2020-2021/

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450