Weird issue with windows slowly failing over long long periods of use

sahara742
Go to solution Solved by sahara742,

This issue was due to amd cpu and nvidia gpu gen 4 pci issue. can be solved by switching to solely gen 3 

Built a computer back in March of this year and all was well until I started noticing that if I don't restart it on almost a daily basis it starts experiencing issues. Most notably it will start with the computer failing to fall asleep, then chrome will start to have issues with the feature where you can hover over the icon in the tray and reopen tabs (it will only allow them to be opened with alt tab once it starts) and spotify will just break completely. This is all resolved through a restart but i cant use the restart option because if I do it just goes black and does not actually ever turn off, I have to hold the power button give it a second then turn it back on and it'll be fine for about the remainder of the day. 

other then the listed issues everything else seems fine, runs games no issue chrome works fine when i get tabs open through alt tab just weird little issues with sleep and opening odd programs

I think this has to do with some part of the sleep function but have no idea where to start with that. I've tried:

- disabling fast boot 

- checking sleep settings

- checking windows for corruption (some found but apparently resolved but did not fix the issue)  

- resetting power settings 

- looking at the bios (don't know what  I though id find there)

- checking if any apps are requesting the computer to stay on through the command prompt 

I've run out of ideas and am starting to look at reinstalling windows but want to avoid that as it would be a hassle. 

If it matters the computer is a 5900x, 3080 and windows installed on an M.2 ssd ive never had an m.2 before so if it has something to do with that then i would have no idea

I used to run windows on my old machine with no issue for a month at a time so this comes as a surprise to me

You may be correct.  I assume you’ve looked for weird swatches of ram being slowly filled up?

reinstalling windows is apparently not always that big a hassle as they have apparently instituted various levels of reinstall some of which are single button affairs.  I’m not familiar with how many there are and what they do.  When I think reinstall I think “clean” reinstall.  There is apparently something called “refresh” that is easier to deal with though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

just to be clear , are you using sleepmode or just dont turn off the pc ever (for whatever reason)?

And the black screen thing can either be hardware or software… clean install would help to determine that.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

10 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

You may be correct.  I assume you’ve looked for weird swatches of ram being slowly filled up?

reinstalling windows is apparently not always that big a hassle as they have apparently instituted various levels of reinstall some of which are single button affairs.  I’m not familiar with how many there are and what they do.  When I think reinstall I think “clean” reinstall.  There is apparently something called “refresh” that is easier to deal with though.

will have to look into the ram issue hadnt given that any thought. will also look into the options for reinstalls

8 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

just to be clear , are you using sleepmode or just dont turn off the pc ever (for whatever reason)?

And the black screen thing can either be hardware or software… clean install would help to determine that.

The way i used to run it was that at the end of the day i would let it just fall into sleep mode normally. this doesnt happen now and it will sit with monitor and all on for however long it takes for me to realize and put it to sleep manually. clean install is looking like the way to go

11 hours ago, sahara742 said:

will have to look into the ram issue hadnt given that any thought. will also look into the options for reinstalls

It’s a way to look for leeching programs, though not a great way if someone is trying to hide it.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a continuation of a previous post I made that I still haven't been able to resolve. That post is Here

This issue can be narrowed down now to the following symptoms:

- Automatic sleep functioning failing to work resulting in computer having to be manually put to sleep ( This issue only appears after a few hours of use and the computer will function normally after a restart and before some amount of time has passed)

~ both the sleep timing and potential for programs keeping the computer awake have been checked for and resulted in nothing. 

- When the computer does put it self to sleep to sleep it causes the taskbar thumbnail preview feature to stop working for all programs. the programs themselves are unaffected but the feature stops working which is really inconvenient. 

~ I have no idea why or how this is happening and it makes my brain melt to try and figure out

- Once the previous two issues have started to show up Spotify will without fail "break". This comes in the form of the program being able to start and play any playlist that I was listening to before it broke but nothing else along with the skip and other functions no longer working 

~ Again I cant find any reason behind this and have uninstalled and reinstalled the program multiple times with no success

- All these issues go hand in hand and once they have started the final issue is that using the windows menu restart button will not work. The screen will go black but the system will remain in some state of "on" as seen by the fact that the gpu rgb does not turn off leading to me having to hold down the physical power button

Only known fix:

The most consistent fix is to power cycle the computer in some form, after this the system will function normally until it eventually goes to sleep at some point and then I wake it up and the listed issues appear. 

Notes:

- Since the previous post I have tried reinstalling windows with no luck

- Installing the most up to date drivers for the motherboard 

- Installing the most up date chipset drivers 

- Disabling the motherboard xmp and cpu profiles

~ all with no luck 

- sfc /scannow resulted in corruption being found and fixed

- no issues when hard drives were checked with health checker

- no issues found when ram checked either

- This is my first time with an AMD cpu and first time using an M.2 so if there's something special to these that would be easy to miss maybe its that 

The system has AMD 5900x, MSI mother board, 32gb ram @3600, MSI 3080, windows on M.2 (samsung), and am evga powersupply

I'm at my wits end with this issue and can only guess that some kind of cache is getting corrupted or full and causing the issue. or that some aspect of the automated sleep cycle isn't working because it always starts after it puts itself to sleep 

I can only say this about Windows' sleep functionality: Good luck.

I have an HTPC that I tried for months to get to automatically go to sleep. Even with no active wake up calls, it will never go to sleep without manual intervention. I've pulled my hair out trying to fix it and eventually gave up and just let it run 24/7.

I know this doesn't help you (sorry), but you're not alone in Windows being a PITA in regards to sleep.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

Just now, Kid.Lazer said:

I can only say this about Windows' sleep functionality: Good luck.

I have an HTPC that I tried for months to get to automatically go to sleep. Even with no active wake up calls, it will never go to sleep without manual intervention. I've pulled my hair out trying to fix it and eventually gave up and just let it run 24/7.

I know this doesn't help you (sorry), but you're not alone in Windows being a PITA in regards to sleep.

I was afraid of hearing something like this. if I could at least get the monitors to shut off and spotify to work i would be fine with it. Broken spotify is kinda the line for me 

Just now, sahara742 said:

I was afraid of hearing something like this. if I could at least get the monitors to shut off and spotify to work i would be fine with it. Broken spotify is kinda the line for me 

Unfortunately (in my experience) even when sleep works "correctly," it can cause other slight hiccups and glitches, just like your thumbnail preview failing. I have 1 system at work that sleeps correctly and can go weeks without any problems. That is literally the only system I've ever had that can sleep normally...

My guess it that it's a hardware/driver issue with desktops, as you really don't see these types of problems with laptops which have a more locked-down hardware/firmware approach.

As far as your actual problem, have you tried enabling hybrid sleep? It adds a little time to the sleep process, but it's usually more reliable (again, in my experience) since it has all the benefits of hibernate and sleep in one shot. Also, your post doesn't explicitly say, but have you run "powercfg /requests" in an elevated command prompt to check for wake requests?

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

14 minutes ago, Kid.Lazer said:

Unfortunately (in my experience) even when sleep works "correctly," it can cause other slight hiccups and glitches, just like your thumbnail preview failing. I have 1 system at work that sleeps correctly and can go weeks without any problems. That is literally the only system I've ever had that can sleep normally...

My guess it that it's a hardware/driver issue with desktops, as you really don't see these types of problems with laptops which have a more locked-down hardware/firmware approach.

As far as your actual problem, have you tried enabling hybrid sleep? It adds a little time to the sleep process, but it's usually more reliable (again, in my experience) since it has all the benefits of hibernate and sleep in one shot. Also, your post doesn't explicitly say, but have you run "powercfg /requests" in an elevated command prompt to check for wake requests?

I did run powercfg /requests and sadly got no results for something that might be the culprit think I'm going to revisit this though to double check. I will definitely look into the hybrid sleep option though, honestly hadn't heard of it before.   

sadly hybrid sleep was already enabled, disabled it to see what happens

==threads merged ==

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

• 3 months later...

This issue was due to amd cpu and nvidia gpu gen 4 pci issue. can be solved by switching to solely gen 3