Skyrim SE highly unusual performance issue

Today I came back to playing Skyrim SE after about a month away from the game. As most of us know, BGS games cap in-game fps to 60 because of the engine. Before when I was playing I had a consistent 60fps in-game at all times, very little dropping and (if any) it was to 59-58. For some reason now the game is running at a constant 55 fps, which is VERY odd to me because it basically seems capped (why would it be capped at 55). But what is even more odd is, the game is stuttering like crazy and is clearly not running very well, despite 55fps realistically being marginally visually different from the previous 60fps I had; I'm not that picky, obviously 55fps is fine, but I can't understand why it's changed all of a sudden and why the game performance is bad. 

All graphics settings are on Ultra, but changing graphics settings does absolutely nothing to performance, so I am really totally confused right now. I have tried disabling all mods and reinstalling the game, as well as messing with nvidia control panel and some third party software, but with no luck. If anybody has had a similar experience with a BGS game or knows of a fix I would really appreciate it. I'll list my system specs below but I kind of doubt it has anything to do with my hardware.

TLDR: Skyrim is stuck at 55fps when before it was at a constant 60fps, and is noticeably stuttering and suffering in performance despite 55fps and changing graphics settings.

system specs:

amd 5600x

RTX 2070ti

16gb corsair vengeance ddr4

b550 tomahawk

1080p 60hz basic-ass monitor

If you've already removed all of your mods, then the next painful question is whether or not you've tried reinstalling the game. It's going to be a pain to get set back up, but my money would be on a mod going out of date and screwing up a game file.

When you do get it back up and running, might want to consider using Mod Organizer 2 instead of actually installing everything. I've switched to that and haven't looked back.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

4 hours ago, aisle9 said:

If you've already removed all of your mods, then the next painful question is whether or not you've tried reinstalling the game. It's going to be a pain to get set back up, but my money would be on a mod going out of date and screwing up a game file.

When you do get it back up and running, might want to consider using Mod Organizer 2 instead of actually installing everything. I've switched to that and haven't looked back.

I tried reinstalling the game and uninstalling all mods and neither have improved anything

This sort of thing happens a lot.

It is either caused my a Windows or a driver update.

First check to see if the game engines frame limiter is enabled by opening the SkyrimPrefs.ini found in Documents\My Games.  Look for the line iPresentInterval=. If it is enabled it will have a 1. If it is disabled it will have a 0.

I use iPresentInterval=0 since this feature is bugged.

Then either use vsync or the Nvidia control panel frame limiter(Max Frame Rate) to control frame rate. 

SkyrimSENvidia.thumb.png.d3f8bd710a28228c6afe7e5e1f705c6d.png

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

18 minutes ago, jones177 said:

This sort of thing happens a lot.

It is either caused my a Windows or a driver update.

First check to see if the game engines frame limiter is enabled by opening the SkyrimPrefs.ini found in Documents\My Games.  Look for the line iPresentInterval=. If it is enabled it will have a 1. If it is disabled it will have a 0.

I use iPresentInterval=0 since this feature is bugged.

Then either use vsync or the Nvidia control panel frame limiter(Max Frame Rate) to control frame rate. 

SkyrimSENvidia.thumb.png.d3f8bd710a28228c6afe7e5e1f705c6d.png

thanks so much for the reply. I have tried everything you recommended and nothing is working. I'm thinking maybe it's a mod thing but I uninstalled all my mods through vortex and then reinstalled the game and it fixed nothing. I'm at a loss right now

54 minutes ago, vincentvega_0 said:

thanks so much for the reply. I have tried everything you recommended and nothing is working. I'm thinking maybe it's a mod thing but I uninstalled all my mods through vortex and then reinstalled the game and it fixed nothing. I'm at a loss right now

I have over 250 mods installed and none of them will effect frames except ENB.

Sometime you have to switch from windowed mode or to full screen. 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

Trying to troubleshoot bethesda games is a pain in the arse, happens all the time with fallout 4, the game caps at 38fps from time to time and it fixes itself randomly.