Arma 3 low fps on high end pc

Dunne Djan

Hi there

I recently started playing arma 3 but i cant really enjoy it because i get low fps, im talking about 40-60 when there isnt anything (out of combat) but in combat i got 20-30 fps. Ive watched some videos of how i can optimize my graphicsettings but it didnt make a big difference. I play on my pc with a rtx3070 8gb, Intel core i7 7700K @4,2Ghz, b250m bazooka, 2x16gb at 2100mhz (i cant go higher due to motherboard)

4 minutes ago, Dunne Djan said:

but i cant really enjoy it because i get low fps

Welcome to Arma. My friends got way more horse under the hood and they also have 60-70fps in game, it is a really complex game with a crap ton of simulation and spaghetti codes as well.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Welcome to Arma. 

That's normal with 7700k. Arma is extremely dependent on a CPU single-core performance and if you play Multiplayer then it also depends on which server you play on. 

But generally, if you play King of the Hill with 100 people for example then 40FPSavg in the city is perfectly fine. 

The best way to improve performance is to limit your view distance but many Multiplayer servers override this setting with their own presets which you can usually adjust in their specific overlay settings by pressing the " ~" key under the "ESC" when in the game. 

Not all servers use that though. 

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

Welcome to Arma. 

That's normal with 7700k. Arma is extremely dependent on a CPU single-core performance and if you play Multiplayer then it also depends on which server you play on. 

But generally, if you play King of the Hill with 100 people for example then 40FPSavg in the city is perfectly fine. 

The best way to improve performance is to limit your view distance but many Multiplayer servers override this setting with their own presets which you can usually adjust in their specific overlay settings by pressing the " ~" key under the "ESC" when in the game. 

Not all servers use that though. 

yes okay thank u very much!

Just now, Dunne Djan said:

You're welcome. 

I forgot to mention this but Arma greatly benefits from being installed on a SSD. 

It will not improve your FPS but the game will run a lot smoother from SSD especially when zooming in and out with scopes.

5 minutes ago, Dunne Djan said:

Also an extra tips from me:

Try to shift the loads to GPU. Get rivatuner overlay and see your CPU and GPU load and spread it more to the GPU because this game really gonna chokeslam your CPU harder than Undertaker will ever dream he could do.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

5 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Also an extra tips from me:

Try to shift the loads to GPU. Get rivatuner overlay and see your CPU and GPU load and spread it more to the GPU because this game really gonna chokeslam your CPU harder than Undertaker will ever dream he could do.

This is actually true.

I recommend googling a specific in-game settings for Arma to see what they do.

For example some settings on Low will give you less FPS than on Ultra because on Low they use CPU but on Ultra they use the GPU. Since you're limited by the CPU you want to offload all you can to the GPU since it's not really working that hard anyways.

(and vice versa)

Definitely completely disable PnP setting (Picture in Picture) this will give you for example reflections in the mirrors of the vehicle. This has a HUGE impact on FPS. And you will also never actually use PnP when playing the game so it's useless.

• 1 year later...

1 thing all need to know i run 1080p low setting with view discrance 2000 and run at 180 - 220 fps with 7800x3d EH mode 3 and xmp P3 p3 and efficecy mode thats it with 2060 aswell lolllllllllll 200fps! that i got like 30 fps 3 years ago. with rx 580 and 3700x. get that cpu with around 2060 or slightly higher card is a goooooooood fps BOST trust me