I just got a new ultrawide monitor and it supports 75hz but I can only get 50hz out of it, and it won't let me go any higher. How can I fix this?

cwgzz

So as the title says, I can't make my monitor 3440x1440 go up to 75hz for some reason. I know my computer can handle it on the current HDMI cable that I have because I was able to set it to 75hz on my previous monitor, granted it was only 1080p though and this monitor is a 1440p, and wondering if that may be the issue, but I don't see why it would be. So I need help in trying to fix this. Thank you. 

3 minutes ago, cwgzz said:

So as the title says, I can't make my monitor 3440x1440 go up to 75hz for some reason

Whats the HDMI version on the cable, the monitor, and the GPU?

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

1 minute ago, SorryClaire said:

Whats the HDMI version on the cable, the monitor, and the GPU?

Like I said, I was able to get 75hz from my previous monitor. Does it being ultrawide make a difference? And I am not sure what the version of the HDMI cable is but I have an Nvidia GTX1650

3 minutes ago, cwgzz said:

Does it being ultrawide make a difference?

yep. A whole lot more pixel is pushed compared to typical 16:9 1440 (2560x1440), and if you do your own math, thats about several million pixels more. Youll need HDMI 2.0 or higher on both device to push above 60Hz.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

1 minute ago, SorryClaire said:

yep. A whole lot more pixel is pushed compared to typical 16:9 1440 (2560x1440), and if you do your own math, thats about several million pixels more. Youll need HDMI 2.0 or higher on both device to push above 60Hz.

How can I know if my HDMI cable is 2.0 or not? 

2 minutes ago, cwgzz said:

How can I know if my HDMI cable is 2.0 or not? 

Pretty much spec sheets and technical diagrams. There are no standardized markings for differing versions AFAIK.

11 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Pretty much spec sheets and technical diagrams. There are no standardized markings for differing versions AFAIK.

Okay thanks for the info. I just bought a 4k 2.0 HDMI cable on Amazon just now. Hopefully this works. 

4 minutes ago, cwgzz said:

Okay thanks for the info. I just bought a 4k 2.0 HDMI cable on Amazon just now. Hopefully this works. 

Before you jump the gun:

Check nvidia control panel for the PC tab in resolution pick in change resolution option. TV is usually very low refresh rate.

18 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Before you jump the gun:

Check nvidia control panel for the PC tab in resolution pick in change resolution option. TV is usually very low refresh rate.

I don't see the pc tab on there...

1 minute ago, cwgzz said:

I don't see the pc tab on there...

Ill assume youve tried custom resolution?

2 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Ill assume youve tried custom resolution?

Yes but if I try to create a new resolution, the only option it gives me is to test it, then it goes black for a few seconds, then turns back on and nothing... 

What is your monitor? Some monitors may have both hdmi 1.4 and 2.0 and there's a chance you connected it wrong 

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820

14 minutes ago, BuzzingBee said:

What is your monitor? Some monitors may have both hdmi 1.4 and 2.0 and there's a chance you connected it wrong 

It's the Samsung SJ55W monitor

2 minutes ago, cwgzz said:

It's the Samsung SJ55W monitor

Yeah there's 1 1.4 and 1 2.0 port. Find the 2.0 port in the manual.

3 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

How do you know? 

8 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Oh wow.. okay I switched the HDMI cable to the other port and voila, 79.4hz..... 

1 minute ago, cwgzz said:

Oh wow.. okay I switched the HDMI cable to the other port and voila, 79.4hz..... 

Next time tell what kind of monitor. I usually only see 1-2 HDMI port tops in an ultrawides, more common with 1.

3 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Next time tell what kind of monitor. I usually only see 1-2 HDMI port tops in an ultrawides, more common with 1.

I didn't even know that they were different. I just thought that they both were the same so I can connect 2 different devices into them. But thanks for the tip. I will definitely do that next time. Thank you so much for your help.