Windows 10 settings app will not open!!! Please help!

ArashiKageTaro

Hey al!! I've posted this on Reddit but no luck yet. I'm hoping someone here at LTT can help as I'm running out of options and my anxiety is now through the roof!

So as mentioned in the title, my settings app won’t open anymore. I can see it in the taskbar and can right-click on it but I just cannot access it nor will it open in a window.

I haven’t updated anything. It was working perfectly fine this morning. I never made any adjustments or tweaks. It just stopped working/opening. I can't get windows troubleshooter app because settings app won't open! Anything to do with settings I cannot access. At all. 

I've tried restarting as well as fully powering down to no avail. I also did a “restore while keeping all apps.” Nothing. Nada. When I hover over the settings icon in the taskbar, I can see the settings but I right-click on it and it won't maximize. I can't resize it. Right-clicking on the restore option in the settings doesn't do anything either!

I’ve had this PC for exactly a month now. In case specs are needed, it’s rocking an R5 5600x, 16 GB of RAM, RTX 3070, MSI MOBO.

Please help!!! Idk what to do and I’m having a panic attack!

I AM AN IDIOT!!!! DISREGARD. I DON'T DESERVE TO OWN THIS PC!!!!!!!

13 minutes ago, StDragon said:

Update the Nvidia drivers. Usually that resolves Windows GUI issues.

Hi. I already had the latest Nvidia driver installed but downloaded it and reinstalled it anyway. That didn't do anything 😞

This is what it looks like. It just won't open all the way and I can't access it at all.

Edited by ArashiKageTaro

12 minutes ago, ArashiKageTaro said:

Hi. I already had the latest Nvidia driver installed but downloaded it and reinstalled it anyway. That didn't do anything 😞

This is what it looks like. It just won't open all the way and I can't access it at all.

Kinda looks like it is open, just on another screen.

I'm assuming you have tried rebooting?

5 minutes ago, fuzz0r said:

Kinda looks like it is open, just on another screen.

I'm assuming you have tried rebooting?

OMFG I'm an idiot! Yes, my second display is an LG OLED. Thing is, I had chosen "extend these displays" and the settings app always opened in my main monitor (LG Ultragear). I absolutely never changed this so idk wtf happened. But somehow Windows changed this so yes, it was opening in a separate window. Thanks so much for bringing me back to reality!

Now excuse me while I bury my head in a sandpit of shame!!

In my defense I'm a Mac-to-PC transplant and have only owned my PC for a month.

Thank you again!

49 minutes ago, ArashiKageTaro said:

OMFG I'm an idiot! Yes, my second display is an LG OLED. Thing is, I had chosen "extend these displays" and the settings app always opened in my main monitor (LG Ultragear). I absolutely never changed this so idk wtf happened. But somehow Windows changed this so yes, it was opening in a separate window. Thanks so much for bringing me back to reality!

Now excuse me while I bury my head in a sandpit of shame!!

In my defense I'm a Mac-to-PC transplant and have only owned my PC for a month.

Thank you again!

Glad I could help. 😄

5 hours ago, ArashiKageTaro said:

Hey al!! I've posted this on Reddit but no luck yet. I'm hoping someone here at LTT can help as I'm running out of options and my anxiety is now through the roof!

So as mentioned in the title, my settings app won’t open anymore. I can see it in the taskbar and can right-click on it but I just cannot access it nor will it open in a window.

I haven’t updated anything. It was working perfectly fine this morning. I never made any adjustments or tweaks. It just stopped working/opening. I can't get windows troubleshooter app because settings app won't open! Anything to do with settings I cannot access. At all. 

I've tried restarting as well as fully powering down to no avail. I also did a “restore while keeping all apps.” Nothing. Nada. When I hover over the settings icon in the taskbar, I can see the settings but I right-click on it and it won't maximize. I can't resize it. Right-clicking on the restore option in the settings doesn't do anything either!

I’ve had this PC for exactly a month now. In case specs are needed, it’s rocking an R5 5600x, 16 GB of RAM, RTX 3070, MSI MOBO.

Please help!!! Idk what to do and I’m having a panic attack!

I AM AN IDIOT!!!! DISREGARD. I DON'T DESERVE TO OWN THIS PC!!!!!!!

Please remove the strikeouts and edits, Because then maybe i can be helpful to someone in the future 🙂

-Will