Can't enable Wake on LAN Dell Optiplex 3020SFF

Hey everyone,

I have a Dell Optiplex 3020SFF with a Realtek PCIe GbE Family Ethernet Controller and under Device Manager, there's no 'Power Management; tab to enable Wake on Lan. There's also nothing under the 'Advanced' tab's properties. I have WOL enabled in the BIOS (which is up to date), all drivers and Windows are up to date, fast startup is disabled. I tried disabling the modern sleep feature through regedit, no luck. Any thoughts?

14 hours ago, rmgdnz said:

Hey everyone,

I have WOL enabled in the BIOS 

If its enabled in the bios, that should be it.  Any windows settings are irrelevant.

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

you need to disable the deep sleep option in the bios for WOL to work on the newer dell machines.  You should find the option under the power management section of the bios.

On 7/30/2021 at 3:48 AM, evilcloud said:

you need to disable the deep sleep option in the bios for WOL to work on the newer dell machines.  You should find the option under the power management section of the bios.

I tried that, no luck. Any other suggestions?

IMG_0861.heic IMG_0862.HEIC IMG_0863.HEIC

On 7/29/2021 at 12:33 PM, Slayerking92 said:

If its enabled in the bios, that should be it.  Any windows settings are irrelevant.

From my experience, I had to enable WOL in Windows to get one of my other PCs to work. Regardless, unfortunately, only enabling it in BIOS does not work so far.

a couple of other things to check - make sure wol is enabled in the driver settings in windows - if it's not there make sure you grab the latest driver from the dell site as sometimes the drivers windows picks up can be basic.  Disable fast boot on windows, also try disabling hibernation.

If it's still not working might be your router blocking broadcast of udp port 7 which is the primary port for wol.  What router are you running?

On 8/4/2021 at 2:05 AM, evilcloud said:

a couple of other things to check - make sure wol is enabled in the driver settings in windows - if it's not there make sure you grab the latest driver from the dell site as sometimes the drivers windows picks up can be basic.  Disable fast boot on windows, also try disabling hibernation.

If it's still not working might be your router blocking broadcast of udp port 7 which is the primary port for wol.  What router are you running?

What do you mean by "driver settings"? I did make sure to update all my drivers, checked device manager, and I used some Dell software to check for driver updates as well. 

I'm using an xFi Gateway 3rd Edition (from Comcast). I actually didn't think of this, I'll try enabling wol on another pc to see if that works.

On 8/7/2021 at 3:49 AM, rmgdnz said:

What do you mean by "driver settings"? I did make sure to update all my drivers, checked device manager, and I used some Dell software to check for driver updates as well. 

have a quick look here to see the driver settings for windows to enable wol for the driver within windows itself.

How to Enable Wake-on-LAN in Windows 10 (groovypost.com)

On 8/9/2021 at 2:10 AM, evilcloud said:

have a quick look here to see the driver settings for windows to enable wol for the driver within windows itself.

How to Enable Wake-on-LAN in Windows 10 (groovypost.com)

Ah yeah this is what I was talking about when I mentioned device manager. Also, can confirm WOL works on my other devices, this one just does not have any power management options for the ethernet adapter under device manager.

Try checking for a BIOS update. 

WOL might just be defective on that system. 

we are a pretty heavily Dell shop at work, and we had one entire batch of PC’s (7020 SFF) where WOL doesn’t work on any of them. 

The models we bought earlier and later all

worked fine. Normally we would have had them serviced under warranty but we didn’t discover the WOL issue until long after the warranty expired when we started using them as spare PC’s. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 8/12/2021 at 8:44 PM, dalekphalm said:

Try checking for a BIOS update. 

WOL might just be defective on that system. 

we are a pretty heavily Dell shop at work, and we had one entire batch of PC’s (7020 SFF) where WOL doesn’t work on any of them. 

The models we bought earlier and later all

worked fine. Normally we would have had them serviced under warranty but we didn’t discover the WOL issue until long after the warranty expired when we started using them as spare PC’s. 

I'm already running the latest BIOS (A20) unfortunately. 

Hmm strange, do you think they were defective because of the ethernet controllers?

2 minutes ago, rmgdnz said:

The answer suggested here is to update BIOS, but my BIOS is up to date (A20).

🤷‍♂️ Right. But I suggest following those instructions to the T. But perhaps @dalekphalm has identified an uncorrectable issue that Dell hasn't fessed up to yet. At this point, I would refer to his experience given the number of those OptiPlex x020 series that he has had to work with.

It's not the first time I've seen a vendor take multiple stabs at solving a bug, but in the end gave up because it was unfixable at last.

5 minutes ago, StDragon said:

🤷‍♂️ Right. But I suggest following those instructions to the T. But perhaps @dalekphalm has identified an uncorrectable issue that Dell hasn't fessed up to yet. At this point, I would refer to his experience given the number of those OptiPlex x020 series that he has had to work with.

It's not the first time I've seen a vendor take multiple stabs at solving a bug, but in the end gave up because it was unfixable at last.

Well thanks anyway! I'll see if I can get an ethernet card replacement, maybe that'll work.

On 8/15/2021 at 1:05 AM, rmgdnz said:

I'm already running the latest BIOS (A20) unfortunately. 

You could always try re-flashing the BIOS anyway. Download the BIOS EXE file and toss it onto a USB Drive, then boot into the BIOS and update directly from the USB drive.

Not likely to work, but also really easy to do.

On 8/15/2021 at 1:05 AM, rmgdnz said:

Hmm strange, do you think they were defective because of the ethernet controllers?

Hard to say - but it's as good a guess as any. Never need that particular issue before or since.

38 minutes ago, rmgdnz said:

Well thanks anyway! I'll see if I can get an ethernet card replacement, maybe that'll work.

A PCIe network card should hopefully do the trick. Let us know if it works.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)