My AV receiver has been using 30w in standby and how to fix

CaptainRye

Hello! Just doing my part to save the environment and lower your electric bill. I'm one of the weirdos with 5.1 channel surround on their computer, so I use an AV receiver to power the speakers. I recently moved from an apartment where the Air Conditioning was kept very cool to one where it wasn't and noticed my AV receiver is warm in standby mode. Using my Kill A Watt meter, it was using 30 watts just idling!

So I did a quick Google search and found something saying to turn off HDMI Control. I did and that did not change anything. Then I looked at the reference manual for my receiver:

image.png.62b445876578a810d8b5d1854a49e1c9.png

HDMI Pass Through was the issue. I turned it off and the wattage is so low that the Kill A Watt meter doesn't read anything. I've had this receiver plugged in for 3 years... 24 hours * 365 days * 3 years * 30 watts = 788400 watt hours! That's... like $71 if we say 9 cents a kWh! $71 doing nothing!! What a waste.

30 watts sounds to me like the power amplifiers aren't shutting down when it goes into standby. 

That said... 30 watts? My preamp uses more than 30 watts, and if I had to guess my MC650 (2 channel) power amp probably idles around 130 watts. Let's not get started on the tube amps.