Building a computer for my kid

Rush7703

Budget (including currency): Less than 1000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: For a teen that would enjoy some gaming, but computer would be used mainly for school work.  Would like ability to be able to improve over time.  A computer that could be used to 10+ years if upgrades to graphics card and memory were made at different times.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hello, i might be a newbie or a green horn at pc building, but i can give a heads-up,

LAPTOP or Desktop?

Heavy Gaming or a Mid Gaming Pc?

I was thinking more of a desktop due to the upgrade ability.  

For a Pheriperals, You will need a following:

A CPU powerful enough to Play Games, let's say, a AMD Ryzen CPU, for it is affordable than INTEL, But INTEL'S advantage is it doesn't need more RAM, Doesn't need a High Watts Power Supply, and it doesn't give too much Heat.

Though its disadvantages of buying a INTEL CPU is that, Intel cpu are much expensive than AMD, it has a Weak Internal Graphics for games

For AMD on the Other hand, It's advantage is its internal Graphics is Powerful enough that you won't need a Graphics Card, it's affordable,

It's disadvantages, however, is it needs High Watts Power Supply, It needs a RAM, let's say 8GB is the minimum and it's speed, and it generates more heat than INTEL,

But honestly, you do you, if you want an intel PC, buy it or if you want AMD, Go buy it

12 minutes ago, Rush7703 said:

Budget (including currency): Less than 1000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: For a teen that would enjoy some gaming, but computer would be used mainly for school work.  Would like ability to be able to improve over time.  A computer that could be used to 10+ years if upgrades to graphics card and memory were made at different times.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Cases are the only thing you can really get away with hanging onto for 10 years these days. Motherboards will most likely be moving to 12VO soon, and DDR5 and PCIe Gen 5 are sure to follow well before 10 years have passed. Intel is bound to continue changing their socket every other generation, and AM5 will also be here relatively soon, so you'd still end up changing every component of the actual computer at the end of the day.

the pc guy

4 minutes ago, Rush7703 said:

I was thinking more of a desktop due to the upgrade ability.  

Yeah, it is much better thatn laptops, because for example, if a part is malfunctioning, you can change it, on laptops? 

You will need a expensive repair, or you might just buy another

1 minute ago, Alexche said:

A CPU powerful enough to Play Games, let's say, a AMD Ryzen CPU, for it is affordable than INTEL, But INTEL'S advantage is it doesn't need more RAM, Doesn't need a High Watts Power Supply, and it doesn't give too much Heat.

Though its disadvantages of buying a INTEL CPU is that, Intel cpu are much expensive than AMD, it has a Weak Internal Graphics for games

For AMD on the Other hand, It's advantage is its internal Graphics is Powerful enough that you won't need a Graphics Card, it's affordable,

It's disadvantages, however, is it needs High Watts Power Supply, It needs a RAM, let's say 8GB is the minimum and it's speed, and it generates more heat than INTEL,

But honestly, you do you, if you want an intel PC, buy it or if you want AMD, Go buy it

Sorry, RAM Speed and it doesn't need 8gb for the minimum

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bv3jTJ

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($164.99 @ Adorama) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B460M DS3H Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Silicon Power 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($64.98 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($104.99 @ Lenovo) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB TUF GAMING OC Video Card  ($250.00) 
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.98 @ Amazon) 
Total: $794.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-07-28 12:05 EDT-0400

note that it doesn't have to be a 1660 super, just whatever graphics card you can get for a reasonable price around 250-300. Until graphics cards are in stock, you should use the integrated graphics on the 10400. 

Additionally, the board does not come with wifi included. if you need wifi you can get a PCIe wifi adapter like this one https://pcpartpicker.com/product/kz8j4D/tp-link-archer-t4e-pcie-x1-wi-fi-adapter-aa528899

11 minutes ago, Alexche said:

Most Intel CPUS are more affordable in todays market. Also the wattage argument you make does not make sense.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

Just now, Downkey said:

Most Intel CPUS are more affordable in todays market. Also the wattage argument you make does not make sense.

Oh, i must be talking that the INTEL CPU is expensive because i live in Philippines, because the Intel I-7 is worth 80k pesos

And the Wattage I meant is the PSU, if the PSU is lower than the Required WATTS, i use a SEASONIC Watts calculator, if you used a low watts than the Required WATTS, it might break, either CPU, GPU or the MoBo

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ht3jTJ

Maybe something like this?

Basically maxed out the cpu cause its already a dead end platform, same goes for amd, so if you have to upgrade youll be swapping the cpu, board, ram, even cooler anyways

For now use the igpu

To make it more tolerable you can oc the igpu in intel xtu or the bios, and oc your ram to as high of a freq as you can

I also suggest locking the max turbo multi (48) on all cores for improved performance and optionally you can set bclk at 103 for ~4.94ghz

And you can also upgrade to a gpu later on