3700x -> 5800x?

Go to solution Solved by Naijin,
20 minutes ago, Voyeyon said:

Hi,

I currently have a Ryzen 7 3700X paired with an RTX 3080, I bought the CPU when I still had a GTX 970. But now that I have a better GPU I know it might be holding me back a bit, so I'm considering upgrading to a 5800X.

My questions:

• Is it worth it? I can probably sell the CPU on if necessary as its in perfect condition.
  • Is my current 3200MHz RAM good enough?
  • Is a X470 board gonna affect performance? (currently have the MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon) or is an upgrade recommended?

What resolution are you using? At 1440p and higher, the 3700x is just fine. If you're using 1080p, it might hold you back a few % but nothing to worry about. Spending more will not yield you double fps.

Hi,

I currently have a Ryzen 7 3700X paired with an RTX 3080, I bought the CPU when I still had a GTX 970. But now that I have a better GPU I know it might be holding me back a bit, so I'm considering upgrading to a 5800X.

My questions:

• Is it worth it? I can probably sell the CPU on if necessary as its in perfect condition.
  • Is a X470 board gonna affect performance? (currently have the MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon) or is an upgrade recommended?

Just overclock your 3700x

Safe volt is 1.4v and dont go over 90c

You can also overclock your ram to 3600 and if your cpu can handle high fclk 3733, 3800, or 4000mhz

Youll also want to tune the timings

20 minutes ago, Voyeyon said:

Hi,

My questions:

What resolution are you using? At 1440p and higher, the 3700x is just fine. If you're using 1080p, it might hold you back a few % but nothing to worry about. Spending more will not yield you double fps.

4 minutes ago, Naijin said:

Yeah forgot to take that into consideration, running at 1440p. Makes sense now that its not worth it.