Longevity of mouse while using the High DPI

pcloverbutnomoney
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

The DPI setting should make absolutely no difference in the life of the mouse. 

Think of the mouse sensor as a camera taking pictures of the mousepad hundreds of times a second and then analyzes how the surface changed between pictures.. that's how it figures if the mouse moved up and down and left and right. 

The DPI settings just changes how many pictures the sensor takes but the sensor is already designed for that, it's not like the sensor is overclocked to produce more pictures, to work outside the way it was designed.

Otherwise by design, the mouse will send Windows updates up to 1000 times a second, that's the highest polling rate supported, 1000 Hz. By default it's less, 125 Hz.  Basically 125 times a second, the usb controller ask the mouse "Do you have something to tell me? " and mouse replies  no, or replies yes, moved this much to left/right , this much up, down, these buttons are pressed or released"

What will fail much faster than the sensor would be the silicon feet that make the mouse slide on the pad with minimal friction, the buttons you click on, the scroll wheel getting gunk in it, the cable going to the computer may break due to repetitive bending...

So I bought new mouse and it can go upto 8000 DPI. Is it bad if I use it on 8000 DPI all the time (of course lower speed setting on windows or game for sure to compensate). Will it affect the longevity of the mouse or is it more like a display where the resolution doesn't affect the longevity?

It really, really shouldn't.

5 minutes ago, fuzz0r said:

It really, really shouldn't.

You mean it shouldn't be a problem?

27 minutes ago, pcloverbutnomoney said:

So I bought new mouse and it can go upto 8000 DPI. Is it bad if I use it on 8000 DPI all the time (of course lower speed setting on windows or game for sure to compensate). Will it affect the longevity of the mouse or is it more like a display where the resolution doesn't affect the longevity?

Doesn't really matter, pooling rate would probably have more effect on the longevity of the mouse... and even that isn't really a factor.
Physical wear & tear will affect it the most. Like scroll encoder skipping/reversing, switches not registering sometimes, cable if you pinch it enough times, feet if your mouse pad is rough (or you use it on a hard surface), dirty sensor.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

7 minutes ago, pcloverbutnomoney said:

You mean it shouldn't be a problem?

Yes wont make a difference. You don't want 8000 dpi trust me.. You game? No. 800, 1600, 3200 is what most users want. 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

13 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Yes wont make a difference. You don't want 8000 dpi trust me.. You game? No. 800, 1600, 3200 is what most users want. 

or if ur a mad man like me, 400 (I can do 180s fine though)

I feel comfortable at 3200 DPI with around 10 windows mouse speed control point. I guess this is the sweet spot for me. I heard about pixel skipping that's why wanted to use high DPI and low software sensitivity. So regarding mouse longevity DPI isn't big concern right compared to typical wear and tear? I'll be fine as long as it gives me three years of life (Using good quality pad)

The DPI setting should make absolutely no difference in the life of the mouse. 

Think of the mouse sensor as a camera taking pictures of the mousepad hundreds of times a second and then analyzes how the surface changed between pictures.. that's how it figures if the mouse moved up and down and left and right. 

The DPI settings just changes how many pictures the sensor takes but the sensor is already designed for that, it's not like the sensor is overclocked to produce more pictures, to work outside the way it was designed.

Otherwise by design, the mouse will send Windows updates up to 1000 times a second, that's the highest polling rate supported, 1000 Hz. By default it's less, 125 Hz.  Basically 125 times a second, the usb controller ask the mouse "Do you have something to tell me? " and mouse replies  no, or replies yes, moved this much to left/right , this much up, down, these buttons are pressed or released"

What will fail much faster than the sensor would be the silicon feet that make the mouse slide on the pad with minimal friction, the buttons you click on, the scroll wheel getting gunk in it, the cable going to the computer may break due to repetitive bending...

16 minutes ago, Stygian Zenith said:

or if ur a mad man like me, 400 (I can do 180s fine though)

mad for using 400dpi.....? huh

Ryzen 5 5600X (@4.8Ghz) |  ASUS RTX 2060 OC (+120 Core, +1125 Memory) |  Ballistix 16GB 

ASROCK B450M PRO4  WD Blue SN 550 1TB ‎‎‎‎‎‏‏‎| Crucial MX500 500GB | Barracuda 1TB 

Corsair CX450M | Corsair Spec-Delta

2 hours ago, Podrake said:

mad for using 400dpi.....? huh

its cause my in game sens is low too, + i have a smaller mousepad compared to most

4 minutes ago, Stygian Zenith said:

its cause my in game sens is low too, + i have a smaller mousepad compared to most

I play CSGO at 400 DPI 1.1 sens and I dont think its that low-

Ryzen 5 5600X (@4.8Ghz) |  ASUS RTX 2060 OC (+120 Core, +1125 Memory) |  Ballistix 16GB 

ASROCK B450M PRO4  WD Blue SN 550 1TB ‎‎‎‎‎‏‏‎| Crucial MX500 500GB | Barracuda 1TB 

Corsair CX450M | Corsair Spec-Delta

I forced myself to get used to ~5800dpi

The 16,000dpi setting is stupid, i don't see how anyone could use that well ever.

I use my mouse around 6k dpi year round and my logitechs seem to last forever, my last 2 G502's are still sitting here very much alive collecting dust.

System Specs: AMD 5950x PBO-AutoNoctua DH-15 Black | Gigabyte x570 MasterEVGA 3080FTW3 Ultra | (2x16gb) G.Skill Royal 3600mhz CL18 | Corsair 5000D Airflow (Black) Samsung 980 Pro 2TB & Firecuda 520 1TB & Crucial MX500 2tb850W Corsair RMX | 2 Noctua A14 CPU, 6 Noctua A12x25 Intake, 3x Noctua F12 Top Exhaust, 1x Noctua A12x25 Back Exhaust

Monitors: (Main) LG Ultragear 34" 2k Ultrawide 144hz IPS '34GP83A-B' (Side) Acer Predator 27" 2k 144hz TN 'Abmiprz'

Peripherals: Corsair K100 OPX | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Corsair Virtuoso SE | Audioengine A2+