HP Victus or custom build

I have been planning on building a new PC based around Ryzen 5 5600x and a low - mid 30 series (3060 or 3070). However due to a combination of gpu shortage and the insane taxes my country levies on tech the GPU is itself costing INR 65k to 100k. So I have been putting it off. Recently saw add about HP Victus on Amazon coming with the following spec 

ryzen 7 5800h 16.1-inch(40.9 cm) fhd gaming laptop (16gb ram/512gb ssd/6gb rtx 3060 graphics/flicker free display/144hz/win 10/ms office/mica silver/2.48 kg).

With a price being INR 104k. 

The thing is I don't really understand laptop GPU and cpu and how it compares with a full desktop counterpart.

Do you recommend waiting for GPU prices to stabilize and going for desktop. Or is this laptop a good way to get hands on a 30 series GPU albeit a mobile version

-> Moved to New Builds and Planning

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

It sounds like your building an entire new system, congratulations your in luck! Unlike the unlucky many that have a computer but just need a GPU, you are buying a whole new system. A system integrator like a notebook or desktop is a very reliable place to get current gen hardware. Honestly speaking the RTX 30XX line may very well be a complete loss for DIYers at this point. The next generation is around the corner and prices are still sky high. By the time they get back to earth Lovelace will be almost out. If you where going to DIY your own desktop maybe stick with the desktop thing anyway. Prebuilts can usually still be upgraded. Especially HP that mostly uses off the shelf ATX compliant cases, MOBO & PSUs . HP makes some compelling offers in the Omen line, here in Canada a cost of an Omen 30L, ready to go unit with a RTX 3060ti and  an ENTIRE i7 1170 based computer around it is literally only $400 more than if you bought the 3060ti from newegg. You literally can not build an HP omen for anywhere near the price of components separate. So yes, if you really want current gen and don't mind a notebook or pre-built desktop then you go right ahead! Wish us who are looking for just a new GPU luck while you game on your amazing (in the current PC enthusiast apocalypse) pre-built! 

12 hours ago, Sambodds said:

I have been planning on building a new PC based around Ryzen 5 5600x and a low - mid 30 series (3060 or 3070). However due to a combination of gpu shortage and the insane taxes my country levies on tech the GPU is itself costing INR 65k to 100k. So I have been putting it off. Recently saw add about HP Victus on Amazon coming with the following spec 

ryzen 7 5800h 16.1-inch(40.9 cm) fhd gaming laptop (16gb ram/512gb ssd/6gb rtx 3060 graphics/flicker free display/144hz/win 10/ms office/mica silver/2.48 kg).

With a price being INR 104k. 

The thing is I don't really understand laptop GPU and cpu and how it compares with a full desktop counterpart.

Do you recommend waiting for GPU prices to stabilize and going for desktop. Or is this laptop a good way to get hands on a 30 series GPU albeit a mobile version

heres a cpu comparison:

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-7-5800H-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-5600X/m1442974vs4084

not that big of a difference laptop cpus are getting better.

surprisingly not that big of a difference on the GPU either:

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-3060-Laptop-vs-Nvidia-RTX-3060/m1452971vs4105

However, the temperatures will be the biggest difference. Desktops run really cool, especially with a solid cooler like the hyper 212. Gaming laptops run pretty hot, in order to get the most performance, so will push temps to at least 80 celsius under load, whereas my 10700k with a liquid cooler only got up to 60 ish celsius using intel burn test.

An air cooler is fine for a 5600x though.

I would build a pc, custom pcs generally last longer then laptops, and are easier to upgrade.

This is a build I would recommend, you can swap out the RAM for some RGB ram if you would like, but it costs more and has the same performance.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/76Jqt8

a 3060 founders edition is $329 usd, bringing the total cost to about $1300, without windows.

33 minutes ago, Coastqr said:

a 3060 founders edition is $329 usd, bringing the total cost to about $1300, without windows.

Keep in mind OP Coastr's recommendation on getting a 3060 FE for $329 is unrealistic in most markets. 

Just now, MoistyMcMoistface said:

Keep in mind OP Coastr's recommendation on getting a 3060 FE for $329 is unrealistic in most markets. 

yes but if you do the newegg shuffle for a while there is a better chance of getting one.

or @Samboddscould wait for the 4060 or whatever it will be called

12 minutes ago, Coastqr said:

yes but if you do the newegg shuffle for a while there is a better chance of getting one.

or @Samboddscould wait for the 4060 or whatever it will be called

Sure thing but as far as I know shuffle is only in the USA not India. IMO @Sambodds this is somewhat controversial but if you want to game now, and can find a good laptop in the Indian market then buy it. All of the downsides @Coastqrsaid are true about laptops. So if the mentioned downside are a big deal for you then buy a desktop. But today, right now pre-builts are cheaper then component scratch. Might not be that way 2, 3 months from now. You need to decide if you want the enjoyment of the hoby of putting the computer together compared to just plug and play and how much that is worth to you. No one can promise you that the situation with supply will Improve. It might get worse. Heck, news is braking about a substrate shortage. That laptop you are interested in might even go up in price! If you can afford the price then buy now don't wait for next gen. 

Edited by MoistyMcMoistface
Spelling

On 7/28/2021 at 1:44 PM, MoistyMcMoistface said:

Sure thing but as far as I know shuffle is only in the USA not India. IMO @Sambodds this is somewhat controversial but if you want to game now, and can find a good laptop in the Indian market then buy it. All of the downsides @Coastqrsaid are true about laptops. So if the mentioned downside are a big deal for you then buy a desktop. But today, right now pre-builts are cheaper then component scratch. Might not be that way 2, 3 months from now. You need to decide if you want the enjoyment of the hoby of putting the computer together compared to just plug and play and how much that is worth to you. No one can promise you that the situation with supply will Improve. It might get worse. Heck, news is braking about a substrate shortage. That laptop you are interested in might even go up in price! If you can afford the price then buy now don't wait for next gen. 

another good option would be a prebuilt from a solid company like origin or digital storm.

The corsair Vengeance a7200 looks solid too