HP 14s CF0131tu NVMe support?

WintorialsLift

Related to my previous post, I am kind of in a dillema whether my laptop supports an NVMe drive.
Here is what I've gathered:

- My computer is an HP 14s CF0131tu

- There is a driver for "SATA/PCIe Drives" in this computer

- HWInfo doesn't show an empty PCIe 3.0 port

- The M.2 slot is an M key (I've opened this laptop before)

- This laptop's product line (HP 14s) has other variants where it comes with an NVMe drive by default (Not this one)

Please help!

If it has an M-key M.2 slot, it should support NVMe. I highly doubt a manufacturer would put the connector on the board if it could not be used (server manufacturers, for example, will intentionally remove RAM slots to save on cost). Plus, if it was to only support SATA, they would make it a B-key M.2 slot.

having opened up my pavilion 15z-cw100, the "NVMe" drive is a B+M drive from WD/sandisk that is not really something you would put in anything but a SI build, it will support m-key drives but only up to a 2x link. which is disappointing.

30 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

having opened up my pavilion 15z-cw100, the "NVMe" drive is a B+M drive from WD/sandisk that is not really something you would put in anything but a SI build, it will support m-key drives but only up to a 2x link. which is disappointing.

Yes I do know that most laptop M.2 NVMe drives usually only go up to PCIe 3.0 x2, but I just want to at least get off of an HDD and make sure that I don't spend my money on something that turns out to be incompatible.

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, WintorialsLift said:

Yes I do know that most laptop M.2 NVMe drives usually only go up to PCIe 3.0 x2, but I just want to at least get off of an HDD and make sure that I don't spend my money on something that turns out to be incompatible.

Thanks!

I would just stay away from something too high performance since its unlikely you'll get the most out of it.

3 hours ago, BiotechBen said:

I would just stay away from something too high performance since its unlikely you'll get the most out of it.

I know, I'll probably be getting a more budget-oriented NVMe drive (i.e. WD Blue SN550 or the Samsung 980)

On 7/28/2021 at 12:45 PM, BiotechBen said:

Speaking of, if I get a typical conventional PCIe 3.0 x4 drive, will I just get the x2 speeds (I don't mind) or will it just not work entirely?