Sent back the HD559, as it was too bassy. HD 599 or 560S instead?

TheSilverKing

They’re both $200. I know the 560S has 120 Ohms vs the 50 of the 599, but according to what I’ve seen online you should still be able to drive them with a phone or controller Jack okay.

The 599 is more toned down bass wise but is still what is considered a warm signature. The 560 is a very neutral headphone with a tad bit of brightness if that's what your looking for. 

I literally had them in last month, sent all back, 599 are WAY more boomy than 559. 560S are somewhere in between (with a very narrow soundstage), if 559 are too bassy for you than neither will be better.

3 hours ago, Holo said:

I literally had them in last month, sent all back, 599 are WAY more boomy than 559. 560S are somewhere in between (with a very narrow soundstage), if 559 are too bassy for you than neither will be better.

I suppose it isn’t too bassy, but more so...  muffled and muddy? I felt like the bass was overpowering the mids and drowning out some vocals on bassier songs. Bleeding into, I think is the term? 

9 minutes ago, TheSilverKing said:

I suppose it isn’t too bassy, but more so...  muffled and muddy? I felt like the bass was overpowering the mids and drowning out some vocals on bassier songs. Bleeding into, I think is the term? 

The 599 is definitely an improvement but not as much as the 560 would be in this respect the 560' newer driver plus neutral tuning shouldn't have this issue

HD599

Sennheiser HD 599 Frequency Response

HD560S

Sennheiser HD 560S Frequency Response

The reason why Sennheiser headphones below the HD600 usually sound muddy is mainly that bump in the High-Bass and Low-Mid, so if you want a different sound the 560S is the right choice.

(Images from Rtings)

16 minutes ago, KaitouX said:

HD599

Sennheiser HD 599 Frequency Response

HD560S

Sennheiser HD 560S Frequency Response

The reason why Sennheiser headphones below the HD600 usually sound muddy is mainly that bump in the High-Bass and Low-Mid, so if you want a different sound the 560S is the right choice.

(Images from Rtings)

I’ve never much looked at frequency graphs, so excuse the probably noob question, but is that treble peak sibilant/harsh in the 560S?

also is it possible to drive them off of an iPod or motherboard with the more than double impedance of the 599?

2 hours ago, TheSilverKing said:

Got it, well 599 are very "boomy", they dont sound muddy but bass is dominant, 560S will be a much better option, they sound very, very good, easily the "cleanest" sounding headphones out of a bunch i've tried recently, theres plenty of bass too, but definitely not muddy. Spike in treble shouldnt be harsh, its not piercing like 990 pro, but its there, they are not as neutral as some reviews say, compared to some other headphones its a clear V.

29 minutes ago, Holo said:

Got it, well 599 are very "boomy", they dont sound muddy but bass is dominant, 560S will be a much better option, they sound very, very good, easily the "cleanest" sounding headphones out of a bunch i've tried recently, theres plenty of bass too, but definitely not muddy. Spike in treble shouldnt be harsh, its not piercing like 990 pro, but its there, they are not as neutral as some reviews say, compared to some other headphones its a clear V.

I’m not gonna be using them for critical listening, so I don’t need true neutrality. Just wasn’t a huge fan of the bass bleed on the 559. Given they’re the same price new I’ll probably just pick up the 560S and call it a day. Do they use the same twist and lock connectors as the 559/569? I have a few of those already, would likely want the shorter cable.