850w or 1000w for this upgrade path?

Rijsberman

Hi there! a question! The post is below too, where all my specs are. But i'm thinking of just upgrading my pc case, including the psu > so that whenever at the end of next year, or the year after I upgrade my rx 6800xt (and 3600, or 5600x depending on what I will do now) can actually still run without any problems. Next time it will be a ryzen 7 or Intel i7.

What PSU do I get to futureproof? I was browsing through this filtered list since there are a lot of discounts in NL on PSU's atm. Do I need 850 or 1000w to futureproof? 850 should be enough no?? Since u can run a 5600x with 3080 on 650w. Any recommendations in the list? I checked the psu tier list but very hard to find something on there and for a good price. Gigabyte P1000GM looked nice but people said I should stay clear of gigabye psu's in a Dutch discord. 

I rather not spend too much on the psu. 100 euro's was the budget but most seem to be going to 120 euro's. Will I even notice the difference between Cooler Master MWE Gold 850 and Seasonic Focus GX-850 for example??

Here is the pricewatch list of the best price comparison site in NL : https://tweakers.net/voedingen/vergelijken/#filter:PYzBCsIwEET_Zc5RUktskg8o9OCpR_EQ2kUiqQ1JEbHk390geBrmzdvdsaaZUu8pzLCIyT8yxA-Oa9qYuTz9SaRpYO_QCER3p9F_CFZJUQ8nuvgnrFECmb3eh41Sht3RnLSpudQdWsmj5I-Le3PrlKy1CLZMW62XC7BXtPrcscWhcSulfAE

Buying a PSU for a setup you won't have for another 1.5 years doesn't make sense. Save your money and buy a new PSU when you need one, otherwise you're just wasting it by speculating on unknown hardware from the future.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

Just now, Roswell said:

Buying a PSU for a setup you won't have for another 1.5 years doesn't make sense. Save your money and buy a new PSU when you need one, otherwise you're just wasting it by speculating on unknown hardware from the future.

But I do have a 3600 with a 6800 xt (this week) which a year ago was bringing up a lot of discussion that you should use a 750w or 850w psu right? And I saw half the people say 650w was fine, half say 850w was fine.

And since I'm probably buying a new case now, it would be the play to do the psu too so I don't have the pain to do all of that cable routing again

850w is more than than IMO.

*All tho i went for a 1000w so i cant really say much*

edit: If you have the budget for it, yes, unless: no.

Edited by MultiGamerClub
edit: If you have the budget for it, yes, unless: no.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

7 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Thanks for linking that! Any shame in taking that MSI MPG A850GF? I was looking at the thermaltake or XPG, but the MSI is from december 2020, the others 1-1,5 years older.

I saw the straight power 11 was top tier, also has nice extra slots for drives. But that's unneccesary for me no? I will have 1 ssd on the board and one 4TB 870 qvo coming in. I'm going to remove the 1tb HDD from my pc since that one is like 8 years old.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2021 at 9:35 PM, --SID-- said:

aaah my msi has a buzz and coil whine 😞 Gonna return it and get the thermaltake GF1 toughpower I think. Single rail should also be good for high watt gpu's right? Just want it to be silent and good 😮 

15 minutes ago, Rijsberman said:

It does show a higher noise level than others tho 

If you want a really quiet PSU, get Bitfenix Formula or Corsair RMx (2018).

There is no guarantee that the coil whine will be resolved.

I see the rmx850 is also high on the tier List! And affordable. I should get the 2018 model then instead of 2021? See pics attached from toms hardware. 

So the psu shouldnt make a buzzing sound. Just the fan should make that noise? 

Screenshot_2021-08-07-15-51-36-275_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_2021-08-07-15-51-02-045_com.android.chrome.jpg

5 minutes ago, Rijsberman said:

I see the rmx850 is also high on the tier List! And affordable. I should get the 2018 model then instead of 2021? See pics attached from toms hardware. 

Yeah, 2018.

9 minutes ago, IIIIIIIIII said:

There is no guarantee that the coil whine will be resolved.

Just now, IIIIIIIIII said:

Yeah, 2018.

Alright thanks! I read that with the 2021 version there is a mag lev fan instead of rifle hearing. And on newer units the fan curve is less aggressive but I'd rather play it safe with the 2018 one then. 

And for the coil whine. I know:( but then it is not the case that a newer psu has less chance of coil whine than an older?