Bought a VA 1440 144hz 32 inch curved monitor but I can't stand the ghosting

RainOfPain125

I bought two monitors at the same time with the same specs listed in the title, tried both out, both had horrible ghosting. I sent the one I thought was worse quality ( https://pcpartpicker.com/product/TPw7YJ/msi-optix-mag321cqr-315-2560x1440-144-hz-monitor-optix-mag321cqr ) back for refund, and I've been using the other one ( https://pcpartpicker.com/product/KBcRsY/asus-tuf-gaming-vg32vq-315-2560x1440-144-hz-monitor-vg32vq ) for 30 days now. I really don't like the ghosting at all. The difference between standing still in Minecraft for example, looks great and highly detailed, but moving at all is so blurry it gives me a serious headache.

I figured I'd get used to it, maybe overcome it, but I literally can't, but I'm already past the 30 day return period for Newegg.

The monitor I kept had a ridiculous 90$ off sale for just the day I intended to buy, so I got it incredibly cheaper than it was supposed to be.

I chose a VA panel because my friend said it would be better than my TN panel. When I told him about the ghosting, he said that he thought it was just his monitor - not a problem with all VA monitors.

I looked around online and some forums claim that some VA panels have horrible ghosting while others have minimal ghosting on par with TN panels.

This monitor's color choices are also difficult as well. With my TN panel there was one clear choice that gave the most colors, but with this new monitor darks are so bad on "scenery" mode, and the next best mode "racing" makes everything look a lot lighter and not so great.

My question is I suppose, what IS a good monitor with the spces in the title that DOESN'T have ridiculous ghosting. 1440p, high refresh rate, huge 30 or so inch, curved, low response time, better colors, so on.

I figured 300$+ would be enoigh for a good monitor but idk.

Buy either IPS or TN for high refresh gaming, none of the VA panels are capable.

Pixel response is a major flaw with VA which lags behind the refresh rate.

I recommend the Gigabyte M27Q 170hz IPS if you are able to cope with it's BGR pixel layout which through Windows clearype settings fixed 95% of the issue for me.

Here is a review.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/gigabyte/m27q

To add to the above poster, I'd suggest you also just give up the curved display thing. TN/VA have bad viewing angles and you're buying a monitor that will ALWAYS be at a suboptimal viewing angle by design. Blacks will never be uniform because 75% of your display is facing different directions.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

Every curved monitor smaller than 34" ultrawide is a VA panel, and the one you have is supposed to be one of the best VA panels available, so you're not going to find anything significantly better with the same requirements.

I'm thinking there's either something wrong with your monitor or you got some settings wrong if you get that much ghosting. I've been using curved VA panels for several years now, and while the response time is not as good as a TN or modern IPS, none of them have had any significant ghosting given the proper settings. 

1 hour ago, Alvin853 said:

I'm thinking there's either something wrong with your monitor or you got some settings wrong if you get that much ghosting. I've been using curved VA panels for several years now, and while the response time is not as good as a TN or modern IPS, none of them have had any significant ghosting given the proper settings. 

I tried "ELMB SYNC" to reduce ghosting but it didn't help. I'm using factory default "60" for overdrive, because 80 will give coronas in some circumstances and anything less than 60 (40, 20, 0) don't give any benefits.

I'm not sure what to tell you. I tried w and wo freesync. The absolute only solution to ending the ghosting is by blasting my gamma way up, which I do via hotkey through a super old program called Gapa. I'd use it to make vieeing in darkness / night time in games easier, but given this new monitor, it's a must-have-enabled in order to play without giving myself a huge headache. of course, at a loss of picture quality.

if you have any recommendations for settings, or suggestions in general to combat ghosting, then go ahead. but doing more research makes me believe I'd be better off trying to take this monitor back and getting an IPS panel on par with these specs. idk...

busted out my DSLR to showcase just how horrible the ghosting is on the settings that I personally think produces the best picture quality, compared to a setting that essentially adds a bunch of gamma via "shadow boost" option on the monitor.

1 minute ago, RainOfPain125 said:

busted out my DSLR to showcase just how horrible the ghosting is on the settings that I personally think produces the best picture quality, compared to a setting that essentially adds a bunch of gamma via "shadow boost" option on the monitor.

Oh wow, yeah that's really bad and for sure not how it's supposed to be. I have a 15 year old monitor with a VA panel that doesn't even have any overdrive and it doesn't look nearly as bad as this... and every review of your model I can find is giving the monitor very good grades on motion clarity, for example: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/tuf-vg32vq#page-test-results measured the response times in the 4-7ms range, which is really good for a VA, most IPS don't get much better than that, only the really expensive ones. And this happens in all games/applications, you have ruled out there's some issue with your Minecraft installation and the ghosting actually comes from the GPU, not the monitor?

I'm thinking your unit is defective, I would contact ASUS customer support, if this is the monitor you want, but you would rather like a unit that actually does what is advertised. 

5 hours ago, RainOfPain125 said:

I suggest dealing with asus first, beyond that, 32inch ips panels are just more expensive, so if 27inch isn;t an option then gotta look used or up budget.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

5 hours ago, RainOfPain125 said:

Wow, i have a really cheap VA panel and even that isnt anywhere as bad as yours. Its probably some visual artifacts or your monitor is just defective.

I used to have a 144hz VA panel and it was just as bad as the OP's, also said it was 1ms and was low latency, it's BS.

On 7/27/2021 at 7:59 PM, Alvin853 said:

you have ruled out there's some issue with your Minecraft installation and the ghosting actually comes from the GPU, not the monitor?

Can't be the GPU since I have never ever had a ghosting problem on my former monitor, a TN panel.

On 7/28/2021 at 1:03 AM, FrodoX570 said:

said it was 1ms and was low latency,

yeah I was specifically looking for a monitor that had 1ms latency. if you consider the darks ghosting this horribly bad as bad latency then yeah sure, this is BS advertising.

What you showed us un Youtube seems to me logic for a VA panel.

If you take a look at RTings you 'll see VA panels are very slow to switch from black to a dark color. The vast majority of people isn't sensitive to it but for some people (like you and me) it's a real problem. I think people who says their VA is ok are not sensitive to this problem or they are just watching very bright images.

Fast-IPS and TN panels are way better for gaming. Va panels are bgood for movies but ... for movies... OLED is the king.

The ghosting as show in your video is an extreme amount. My VA monitor also has some ghosting in dark scenes, but normally VA "dark smearing" only affects the color transitions from black to dark greys. Switches from dark red to bright blue (like your mincraft example video) are normally not something where VA is significantly slower than modern IPS monitors.

Even my former AOC 352UCG6 which is an old VA ultrawide with slower response times than most modern VAs had much less ghosting. And my current PG35VQ has absolutely no ghosting other than in very dark close to black scenes. But it's not like it gets unbearable at any scene brightness.

And in your example the brighter image seems to fix a lot of the ghosting, so it seems like this is an older Samsung VA with very badly tuned overdrive. The newer Samsung VAs like the G7 don't even have dark smearing anymore, which shows that you can do a lot with proper overdrive tuning on a monitor. But sadly we can only take what the manufacturer offers.

If you still want a 32" IPS gaming monitor, then have a look at the Gigabyte M32Q for a budget option. If you want something higher-end, then the Asus PG329Q is is a great option.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.