LAPTOP THROTTLING 24/7

aight so i got this dell g5 5587 2 years ago, it has been working fine to begin with , i mean it did hit 100c on the cpu but after undervolting it worked p e r f e c t l y.

now around a year ago i began noticing some issues:

1. i cant hit the fps i used to hit regardless of the fps drops. 

2. my gpu clock started dropping, which caused fps drops to like 20 or 30

my cpu clock was still working fine tho.

i removed the temp limit from the gpu because thats what caused the throttles but now my cpu throttles all the time. the cpu clock drops from 3400 to around 1800 all the time, it never is 3400 for more then 2 minutes when gaming..

the weird thing is my gpu doesnt even get that hot... and it still throttles with the temp limit. also i seem to throttle without even having insanely high temps , like i can be on 85c which i know is high but isnt as high as 100c, and still throttle or not run games at a normal fps. 

a few examples

gta v: used to run it at around 90 fps if i remember correctly , at high res with 0 fps drops or lags, now the max i hit is 60 and the fps is dropping to 40 every 2 seconds , and it stays 40.

csgo: i cant run the game at normal fps for more then 1 minute, it keeps going to 100 or 120 instead 300.

valorant: i keep getting fps drops to 90.

watchdogs 2: used to run it smooth but now i cant run it for more then 40-50 fps.

( i

can someone help me???  getting a $1500 laptop that doesnt even work well is so frustrating.. 😠  laptop is undervolted btw.( using throttle stop)

Just now, jaslion said:

When is the last time you opened it and cleaned it out with compressed air?

I haven't yet i am going to take it to a clean this month some day, well i did open the laptop cover ( not unscrew everything) and just cleaned the fan a bit. i guess that doesnt help tho. are you sure this is the problem? cause even when my laptop doesnt hit above 90c it throttles..

Just now, AlphaBetaOmega said:

I haven't yet i am going to take it to a clean this month some day, well i did open the laptop cover ( not unscrew everything) and just cleaned the fan a bit. i guess that doesnt help tho. are you sure this is the problem? cause even when my laptop doesnt hit above 90c it throttles..

I mean it's a good start. You only see cpu and gpu temps but not all other temp data where it might be reaching thermal max.

Disable bd prochot in throttlestop

If you are still running that undervolt i assume you have throttlestop already installed

12 minutes ago, AlphaBetaOmega said:

Welcome to the LTT forums! Depending on your environment and uptime your gaming laptop needs to be cleaned every 6 months to a year. I recently had to deal with this on my ASUS TUF506IV after it hit the 1 year mark. this is what my fans looked like. This was after I noticed it thermal throttling. Make sure to also blow out your your heatsinks as well as your fans. (BTW when it was like this I had frequent drops down to 10-15 FPS in most games.)

20210622_233224.jpg

(Got to love that spinning dust ball)

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

7 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Disable bd prochot in throttlestop

If you are still running that undervolt i assume you have throttlestop already installed

its disabled.

7 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Welcome to the LTT forums! Depending on your environment and uptime your gaming laptop needs to be cleaned every 6 months to a year. I recently had to deal with this on my ASUS TUF506IV after it hit the 1 year mark. this is what my fans looked like. This was after I noticed it thermal throttling. Make sure to also blow out your your heatsinks as well as your fans. (BTW when it was like this I had frequent drops down to 10-15 FPS in most games.)

20210622_233224.jpg

aight so i guess the fans i cleaned werent the main fans? because they were pretty small and only a tiny bit of dust on top. 

Here are your fans, take them out and blow out the heat sinks after you blow them out. 

image.png.27069e265ec0c6340760e3eeebf48054.png

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

7 minutes ago, AlphaBetaOmega said:

aight so i guess the fans i cleaned werent the main fans? because they were pretty small and only a tiny bit of dust on top. 

Well, for starters all laptop fan is small and you probably weren't clean it well enough if you already doing so...

01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 00110111 00110000 00100000 01101001 01101110 01100011 01101000 00100000 01110000 01101100 01100001 01110011 01101101 01100001 00100000 01110011 01100011 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101110 00100000 01110100 01110110

Audio Interface I/O LIST v2

18 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Here are your fans, take them out and blow out the heat sinks after you blow them out. 

image.png.27069e265ec0c6340760e3eeebf48054.png

yeah so i didnt really open anything up, i just used a brush on it to take off the tiny bit of dust it had.

5 hours ago, AlphaBetaOmega said:

after undervolting it worked p e r f e c t l y.

Post some screenshots of ThrottleStop including the FIVR and TPL windows. There have been updates that have disabled CPU voltage control on a lot of Dell laptops. You need to check the FIVR monitoring table to make sure the undervolt is still being applied.

Turn on the ThrottleStop Log File option and go play a game for at least 15 minutes. When finished testing, exit the game and then exit ThrottleStop so it can finalize your log file. Attach a log to your next post so I can have a look. The default folder for these logs is ThrottleStop / Logs.

Some Dell laptops have severe power limit throttling issues. The power limit can drop down to 5W or less which can cause some significant FPS drops when trying to play a game. A log file will record CPU speeds and any reasons for throttling. It is valuable information when trying to troubleshoot these kind of problems. Turn on Nvidia GPU monitoring in the Options window before you start logging data so that information will be included in your log file. 

4 hours ago, unclewebb said:

Post some screenshots of ThrottleStop including the FIVR and TPL windows. There have been updates that have disabled CPU voltage control on a lot of Dell laptops. You need to check the FIVR monitoring table to make sure the undervolt is still being applied.

Turn on the ThrottleStop Log File option and go play a game for at least 15 minutes. When finished testing, exit the game and then exit ThrottleStop so it can finalize your log file. Attach a log to your next post so I can have a look. The default folder for these logs is ThrottleStop / Logs.

Some Dell laptops have severe power limit throttling issues. The power limit can drop down to 5W or less which can cause some significant FPS drops when trying to play a game. A log file will record CPU speeds and any reasons for throttling. It is valuable information when trying to troubleshoot these kind of problems. Turn on Nvidia GPU monitoring in the Options window before you start logging data so that information will be included in your log file. 

hey this is what i got for now , since im not much of a computers pro i will try figuring out the throttlestop log thing later ( unless u can explain a bit? )

image.png.6e2815c7da127c681141a53f5abc64f0.png

image.png.0fcaac3ad99c8dc499abb764559f5639.png 

3. image.png.f33f57a6913c53f9e1efbd9f639fb3cc.png

image.png

4 hours ago, AlphaBetaOmega said:

the throttlestop log

Look on the main screen of ThrottleStop. Bottom left hand corner, just above the Save button. Put a check mark in the Log File box when you want to create a log file. You can check this option before you start playing a game. Play for at least 15 minutes so there will be lots of data for me to look at. When finished testing, exit the game and then exit ThrottleStop so it can finalize the log file. You should be able to find your log file in the ThrottleStop / Logs folder. It will have today's date in its name. You can copy and paste the data to http://www.pastebin.com and then post a link here.

Before you log any data, download and install ThrottleStop 9.3.1

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

After you unzip the download, you can copy the new ThrottleStop.exe into your ThrottleStop folder. Over write the old version with the new version.

In the Options window, check the Nvidia GPU box. This will include your Nvidia GPU temperatures and GPU MHz data in the log file.

The core and cache offset voltages do not need to be set equally. Try increasing only the core offset voltage to -175 mV. This is usually 100% stable. 

13 hours ago, AlphaBetaOmega said:

I can't hit the fps I used to hit

The biggest problem is that your CPU is running way too hot. If it used to be better then something has changed. The cooling is terrible. You have used ThrottleStop to slow your CPU down 500 MHz but it is still hitting 100°C and thermal throttling. Many similar Dell laptops have marginal cooling. When brand new they might be adequate but after a while, there will be thermal problems. The heatsink needs to be removed and the thermal paste needs to be replaced. Your laptop needs a thorough cleaning inside. There are lots of YouTube videos to guide you. Many recent laptops are very easy to disassemble. Instead of running to the computer repair store, it is best to learn how to do this basic maintenance procedure yourself. No one at a store cares about your computer as much as you do. 

Until you get the cooling fixed, there is not much else you can do. Your laptop is never going to run at its full potential and it is never going to run smoothly when pretty much every core is hitting 100°C and thermal throttling. 

I would set the turbo power limits to PL1=45W and PL2=55W. Your cooling system might be able to handle this. The default PL2=78W is too much heat for your laptop to dissipate. 

hi ty for the detailed explanation! i dont actually think i can undervolt it that much tho.. at first i used to put it at -144mv and it worked fine , but now for some reason it makes my laptop crash or freeze.. ill try doing the log file and send it here when its done

@unclewebb aight so i deleted about half of it since it was way too long, but here : https://pastebin.com/HWYMq5zk ( btw the log wasnt made on a really heavy game , i can do another one with a heavy game such as gta v maybe.

also if i did something wrong i can create a new log.

4 hours ago, AlphaBetaOmega said:

I used to put it at -144mv

Long term, most 8750H are not 100% stable when the cache is at -144 mV. It might be stable for a month or two in some games but long term, it is not unusual to see some random crashes. An undervolt of -125 mV or -130 mV for the cache are more typical values while the core can be set to -175 mV to -200 mV. If the cache is set too high, you will not be able to undervolt the core as much. You tend to get better overall results by setting the core approximately -50 mV to -75 mV beyond the cache setting. 

Your log file shows a problem that is common to many different Dell laptops. An 8750H has a 45W TDP rating. Long term, if it is not overheating, it should be able to run indefinitely at 45W. That is the level of performance that you paid for. 

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/134906/intel-core-i7-8750h-processor-9m-cache-up-to-4-10-ghz.html

Now scroll through the log file and look in the far right column. You will see PL1 appear randomly which indicates power limit throttling. If you look at the number to the left of PL1, you will see the power consumption data. Your 45W 8750H is being power limit throttled when power consumption is only 15W to 20W. This is wrong on so many levels. Your high performance 6 core CPU is being power limited to a level that is common in low end netbooks. 

The last person that I tried to help with this problem contacted Dell and got the runaround. Dell was not willing to admit that a CPU that can only use less than half of its rated power was a design flaw. According to Dell, this person's laptop was working as intended. I would like to say that this was a one off problem but these kind of throttling problems have been a part of the Dell lineup for more than a decade. Most casual computer users have no idea that they are being ripped off.

To try and fix this problem, check the Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits box in the FIVR window. I do not think this will solve this power limit problem on Dell's 8th Gen laptops but it is the first thing you should try. 

The next thing to try is you need to uninstall the Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework (DPTF) driver. This driver is not necessary. There is nothing inherently wrong with this driver but the way Dell is using this driver, it can cause these power limit throttling problems.

Brad explains what needs to be done.

https://bradshacks.com/disable-dptf/

2 hours ago, unclewebb said:

Long term, most 8750H are not 100% stable when the cache is at -144 mV. It might be stable for a month or two in some games but long term, it is not unusual to see some random crashes. An undervolt of -125 mV or -130 mV for the cache are more typical values while the core can be set to -175 mV to -200 mV. If the cache is set too high, you will not be able to undervolt the core as much. You tend to get better overall results by setting the core approximately -50 mV to -75 mV beyond the cache setting. 

Your log file shows a problem that is common to many different Dell laptops. An 8750H has a 45W TDP rating. Long term, if it is not overheating, it should be able to run indefinitely at 45W. That is the level of performance that you paid for. 

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/134906/intel-core-i7-8750h-processor-9m-cache-up-to-4-10-ghz.html

Now scroll through the log file and look in the far right column. You will see PL1 appear randomly which indicates power limit throttling. If you look at the number to the left of PL1, you will see the power consumption data. Your 45W 8750H is being power limit throttled when power consumption is only 15W to 20W. This is wrong on so many levels. Your high performance 6 core CPU is being power limited to a level that is common in low end netbooks. 

The last person that I tried to help with this problem contacted Dell and got the runaround. Dell was not willing to admit that a CPU that can only use less than half of its rated power was a design flaw. According to Dell, this person's laptop was working as intended. I would like to say that this was a one off problem but these kind of throttling problems have been a part of the Dell lineup for more than a decade. Most casual computer users have no idea that they are being ripped off.

To try and fix this problem, check the Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits box in the FIVR window. I do not think this will solve this power limit problem on Dell's 8th Gen laptops but it is the first thing you should try. 

The next thing to try is you need to uninstall the Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework (DPTF) driver. This driver is not necessary. There is nothing inherently wrong with this driver but the way Dell is using this driver, it can cause these power limit throttling problems.

Brad explains what needs to be done.

https://bradshacks.com/disable-dptf/

hmm i know youre the smart guy and im not , but dont u think i should only try all that after i clean the laptop and renew the thermal paste? since the laptop was fine to begin with. (after i first undervolted it ofc) oh and yeah i undervolted the cache to -99 and the core to -175 and it worked fine. not solving the issue ofc but my cpu dropped a bit less frequently.

It is not thermal throttling. It is power limit throttling. This is a common issue for many Dell laptops.

Clean it up, replace the paste and run another log file to see if it is still PL1 power limit throttling. 

1 hour ago, unclewebb said:

It is not thermal throttling. It is power limit throttling. This is a common issue for many Dell laptops.

Clean it up, replace the paste and run another log file to see if it is still PL1 power limit throttling. 

aight this will take me weeks , i will reply when its done tho.