Friend wanting to Building a PC for Coding

Go to solution Solved by mariushm,
15 minutes ago, FlexHosting said:

16GB TridentZ NEO 3600MHZ premium memory

Silverstone PF360 360MM AIO Water Cooler (ARGB)
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste on CPU and GPU
Modified NZXT Watercooler case illumination 
Corsair AX850 power supply with all cables 
NZXT Sentry LCD Fan Controller 
MSI H110M Gaming motherboard 
Gainward Golden Sample 550ti 
Intel Core i5 6400 CPU 

🤦‍♂️

You have a shit motherboard with a shit chipset that limits the maximum ddr4 memory frequency - officially the board supports maximum 2133 Mhz memory. 

You have a lightweight CPU that has a 65w TDP rating, and which officially supports DDR4 up to 1866 Mhz.  Unofficially, it will probably do 2133 Mhz or 2400 Mhz - IF the motherboard and chipset limitations allow it. 

The water cooling is ridiculous overkill for a processor that can be cooled by a 30$ air cooler just fine. 

Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste on cpu and gpu - yeah, like it makes 1 degree celsius of a difference.

The 550ti peaks at 90w of power consumption.  The CPU peaks at maybe 60-80 watts. 

A 850 watts power supply is ridiculously overkill for that system. 

Hello Linus Tech Tips group.

Ill start things off. I have a friend who is looking to build a pc for coding. He says that he wants to use it for some python and some 3d design.  I decided to come on here because even though I know everything about the software of computers, I know nothing about hardware components. Here is also some pictures and videos of it. 

Here are the Specs:

HDD storage (3x Drives)
256GB worth of SSD Storage
Intel Core i5 6400 CPU 
2x RGB DeepCool fans 
3X Silverstone ARGB Fans
2x red LED fans
2x NZXT white non led fans
Cooler Master HAF Stacker case
Logitech G series full mechanical wireless keyboard
Razer Basilisk X Hyperspeed 16,000DPI mouse (wireless)
2x DELL 24" Monitors
LightScribe DVD Burner

IMG_3788.jpg

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Is this the computer they already have or what is this?

Oh wait that is the PC that he is building. He just asked me if that is enough for it to code and stuff

Just now, FlexHosting said:

Oh wait that is the PC that he is building. He just asked me if that is enough for it to code and stuff

It's a old not great pc. Why is he building that? Nothing in it makes sense?

Over the top cooling and rgb for a weak i5 and a ANCIENT 550ti? Sure it will work for coding but be pretty bad for 3d.

What is he paying for it? EIther way this system is old and makes no sense the cooler costs more than half this pc basically.

15 minutes ago, FlexHosting said:

Intel Core i5 6400 CPU 

🤦‍♂️

You have a shit motherboard with a shit chipset that limits the maximum ddr4 memory frequency - officially the board supports maximum 2133 Mhz memory. 

You have a lightweight CPU that has a 65w TDP rating, and which officially supports DDR4 up to 1866 Mhz.  Unofficially, it will probably do 2133 Mhz or 2400 Mhz - IF the motherboard and chipset limitations allow it. 

The water cooling is ridiculous overkill for a processor that can be cooled by a 30$ air cooler just fine. 

Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste on cpu and gpu - yeah, like it makes 1 degree celsius of a difference.

The 550ti peaks at 90w of power consumption.  The CPU peaks at maybe 60-80 watts. 

Is your friend the Verge PC guy?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

🤦‍♂️

Damm ok then. its not my pc. That is his old pc and he is upgrading the parts.

3 minutes ago, FlexHosting said:

Damm ok then. its not my pc. That is his old pc and he is upgrading the parts.

4 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

Is your friend the Verge PC guy?

The specs at the original post is his old pc these are the parts he is upgrading to
- AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3rd Gen (12 Core, 24 Thread, 4.6GHz)
- AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT, VRAM 12GB, Perfect for 4K Gaming
- Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO AX WIFI motherboard
- Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 

10 minutes ago, jaslion said:

It's a old not great pc. Why is he building that? Nothing in it makes sense?

Over the top cooling and rgb for a weak i5 and a ANCIENT 550ti? Sure it will work for coding but be pretty bad for 3d.

What is he paying for it? EIther way this system is old and makes no sense the cooler costs more than half this pc basically.

- Thermaltake AIO Liquid Cooler
- Corsair RMx 750W 80+ Gold Fully Modular Power Supply
- WD Black SN750 500GB NVMe M.2 Gaming SSD drive
- Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD 
- InWin Gaming Case with LED, RGB Cooling Fan with Controller
- Windows 10 Professional
- Built-in WIFI, Bluetooth

2 minutes ago, FlexHosting said:

AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT, VRAM 12GB, Perfect for 4K Gaming

Where did the "Perfect for 4K Gaming" part come from? Is that off a product listing? That card is anything but perfect for 4K gaming. It's barely good enough for 1440p.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

5 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

Where did the "Perfect for 4K Gaming" part come from? Is that off a product listing? That card is anything but perfect for 4K gaming. It's barely good enough for 1440p.

Damm, ok . I'll make sure to tell him how trash the PC is. Thank you for telling me this so that he doesn't make this mistake again. He went to the computer store and he charged him 3,000. Thank goodness its returnable

7 minutes ago, FlexHosting said:

The specs at the original post is his old pc these are the parts he is upgrading to
- AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3rd Gen (12 Core, 24 Thread, 4.6GHz)

Ok so it's no longer clear what is going on.

So the first post is the system he has now right? He wants to upgrade that correct?

Then these are the parts he wants to upgrade to?

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3rd Gen (12 Core, 24 Thread, 4.6GHz)

If so half of these shouldn't be bought as he has PLENTY to reuse that is still VERY GOOD.

I suggest he keeps everything but the cpu board ram and gpu.

Then get the new am4 mounting adapter for the aio and get a bigger ssd. Anything else is good to go.

Also as said before the 6700xt is NOT a 4k gaming card. It can do it but it is not made for it.

Also the case was not specified what is it?

Damm, ok . I'll make sure to tell him how trash the PC is. Thank you for telling me this so that he doesn't make this mistake again. He went to the computer store and he charged him 3,000. Thank goodness its returnable

3000 for that thing? Yeah that is NOT a good deal AT ALL. Even going diy full new you'd struggle to get to 3k. Upgrading the old system would probably be about 1200$ for the same specs.

Worst thing is your friend got older stuff too and payed extra for totally unnecessary stuff.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Ok so it's no longer clear what is going on.

So the first post is the system he has now right? He wants to upgrade that correct?

Then these are the parts he wants to upgrade to?

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3rd Gen (12 Core, 24 Thread, 4.6GHz)

If so half of these shouldn't be bought as he has PLENTY to reuse that is still VERY GOOD.

I suggest he keeps everything but the cpu board ram and gpu.

Then get the new am4 mounting adapter for the aio and get a bigger ssd. Anything else is good to go.

Also as said before the 6700xt is NOT a 4k gaming card. It can do it but it is not made for it.

Also the case was not specified what is it?

Yeah the first one is what he currently has and he wants to upgrade it. Ill tell him that. He doesn't know what the case is.

Yeah the first one is what he currently has and he wants to upgrade it. Ill tell him that. He doesn't know what the case is.

A picture of the front of the case can help identify it as what I've seen so far already gives me some idea as to which it is.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

3000 for that thing? Yeah that is NOT a good deal AT ALL. Even going diy full new you'd struggle to get to 3k. Upgrading the old system would probably be about 1200$ for the same specs.

Worst thing is your friend got older stuff too and payed extra for totally unnecessary stuff.

I'm so glad I decided to come to this Forum so I can ask other people about this PC instead of regular PC shops. Ill make sure I tell him

1 minute ago, FlexHosting said:

I'm so glad I decided to come to this Forum so I can ask other people about this PC instead of regular PC shops. Ill make sure I tell him

CPU RAM and MOBO. that it

Spec: Macbook Air 2017    

ProcessorPU: ii5 (I5-5350U |    

| RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 |

| Storage: 128GB SSD 

| GPU: Intel HD 6000 |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

A picture of the front of the case can help identify it as what I've seen so far already gives me some idea as to which it is.

He says he doesn't even care now and that he is on his way to return the whole thing.

12 minutes ago, FlexHosting said:

He says he doesn't even care now and that he is on his way to return the whole thing.

I'm talking about the old computer. Not the new one.

It's getting very confusing so I'm going to start again a bit.

I am suggesting after returning the current one that your friend takes the motherboard, ram, cpu and gpu out of the current system and replaces that with something new.

So for that I need to know what case the old one has to see if that needs replacing for airflow reasons.

28 minutes ago, FlexHosting said:

It's not necessarily *trash*, but there's some really poor pairings and a general misunderstanding of how things work and what is and is not important. For example, a 6700XT is a perfectly decent card... If you want to do 1440p. If you're going for 4K, then that's not going to get you there.

1 minute ago, Chris Pratt said:

It's not necessarily *trash*, but there's some really poor pairings and a general misunderstanding of how things work and what is and is not important. For example, a 6700XT is a perfectly decent card... If you want to do 1440p. If you're going for 4K, then that's not going to get you there.

Ah ok, Ill make sure to tell him that after he finishes returning the PC back

12 minutes ago, FlexHosting said:

Cool.  If he wants to just code he can do it on literally anything. He doesn’t have to spend 3k.  He can spend $100 total (no joke.  Correct number of digits) or just use his old stuff. Who puts a 3 fan AIO on a cpu that old? It’s too big for even a 3900x. Also has 200w more PSU than he can really use for what he was planning on putting into it.  An 850 is a 3070 PSU for people who don’t want to be caught out. That old cpu will be quieter and just as happy on a stock cooler.  3d is more expensive, but you still don’t need a good bit of what was there for that.  It sounded to me like a salesman picked all the parts out of stuff that wasn’t selling well rather than stuff that would be good for his use case. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.