Can my system run 240hz?

SEX

I'm planning to buy a 240hz monitor and I'm not sure if my system can run it, I have a Ryzen 5 3600, Rx 5600 xt and 32gb ram 3200mhz.

yes, your GPU should have sufficient connection for 240Hz (im assuming 1080p?)

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

What games? Because it really depends.

Why?

1. Is your pc strong enough to push them to that fps?

2. Are the games even able to run at such high fps? (basically can the engine handle it or is the game optimized enough)

3. Are you a pro gamer? If not skip the whole higher than 144hz fad and get yourself a nice 1440p 140hz screen if shopping for 27 inch or a 1080p 144hz screen for smaller sizes.

7 minutes ago, SEX said:

I'm planning to buy a 240hz monitor and I'm not sure if my system can run it, I have a Ryzen 5 3600, Rx 5600 xt and 32gb ram 3200mhz.

As long as you have HDMI 2.0 or DisplayPort 1.4, you can run 240hz... In the desktop.

In game? Imo CS:GO is the more likely thing you can run above 240fps in that thing. Dont expect it to hit 240hz, even at 1080p.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

43 minutes ago, SEX said:

144hz is more than enough for most gamers

240hz and above is only for pros and those guys compete in gaming competitions

Then again you could just buy a regular 60hz monitor and overclock it to 75hz or not a 75hz monitor and overclock it to 90hz

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Then again you could just buy a regular 60hz monitor and overclock it to 75hz

No.

A lot of cheap 60Hz usually are designed only to go that far and thats it. And lets be real, their experience WONT be as good as a true 75hz monitor.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

6 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

No.

A lot of cheap 60Hz usually are designed only to go that far and thats it. And lets be real, their experience WONT be as good as a true 75hz monitor.

Laughs in decade old syncmaster 743 cube monitor running at 75hz

Tbh i also overclocked my dads craptop monitor aswell to 75hz and the diff is noticable, it can actually run up to 85hz for whatever reason but if i go over 75hz the quality goes to shit

And what good experience are you.talking about here? Stability or latency? Or maybe colours? Since i dont notice any of those be affected unless i go over 75hz

Spoiler

IMG_20210727_143314.thumb.jpg.3e30c18cfcd76d62ae47106f12c307d0.jpg

Btw that blurryness still exists at 60hz so i think i have a bad cable since swapping in my 9500gt gets rid of said blurryness

Just now, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Stability or latency? Or maybe colours?

All 3. And really, its because early monitors have super overbuilt scaler that couldve done way faster than what they were rated, very non representative of modern monitors. Even in an expensive lineups like Asus ProArt monitors can barely overclock above 1-2Hz before the HDMI throws the "out of range" error, or outright glitching like hell.

8 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

No.

stop oc monitor not worth. i have 75HZ monitor for less than 100$ from LG forgot the name. with freesync and IPS. and LCD panel

Spec: Macbook Air 2017    

ProcessorPU: ii5 (I5-5350U |    

| RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 |

| Storage: 128GB SSD 

| GPU: Intel HD 6000 |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |

Just now, SorryClaire said:

All 3. And really, its because early monitors have super overbuilt scaler that couldve done way faster than what they were rated, very non representative of modern monitors. Even in an expensive lineups like Asus ProArt monitors can barely overclock above 1-2Hz before the HDMI throws the "out of range" error, or outright glitching like hell.

My dads craptop is from 2018

How the hell does a 200$ craptop from 2018 be able to run 75hz without issue and even upto 85hz?

Heck my fking cube monitor cant even run 85hz and this thing is from like 2010

Just now, Wolfycapt said:

stop oc monitor not worth. i have 75HZ monitor for less than 100$ from LG forgot the name. with freesync and IPS. and LCD panel

Not sure if 75hz can even oc or not

Cause if a 75hz monitor is using the same panel as a 60hz monitor then it will prob not overclock, but if it could overclock, maybe around 90hz

Do you even see how laptop display mounted in? Its just ribbon cable, it has less hardware to content with, laptop display can generally overclocks really well.

but if it could overclock, maybe around 90hz

As i say, even 60hz panel nowadays barely hit 66, and my 23MP68VQ cant overclock past 75.23hz.

3 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

23MP68VQ cant overclock past 75.23hz.

Looks like its just an overclocked 60hz then, cause if you cant oc it any further than 75 at all then yea oced 60hz

And seems like the 80 and 85hz settings are gone xD

Prob because i wanted to see if i could oc the craptop monitor anymore before the quality turns to shit

Even 78hz and the quality turns to shit xD

But then again its a 60hz monitor

2 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

How the hell does a 200$ craptop from 2018 be able to run 75hz without issue and even upto 85hz?

Heck my fking cube monitor cant even run 85hz and this thing is from like 2010

Luck.

Literally that. You got a lucky mix of components.

So instead of suggesting op to oc suggest them a monitor that already runs at the desired specs.

53 minutes ago, jaslion said:

You got a lucky mix of components.

Celeron n4000

4gb single channel ddr4 2400

Is that what youd call lucky?

atleast it has good speakers tho and i can oc the shit out of the poor monitor

Celeron n4000

4gb single channel ddr4 2400

Is that what youd call lucky?

atleast it has good speakers tho and i can oc the shit out of the poor monitor

I'm not talking about the specs of the laptop. I'm talking about the display and it's controller. The fact it's a dirt cheap low end machine is even more a point to just getting random leftover crap they put in there and thus ending up with stuff that can handle more because it's probably older/leftover stuff being used from other devices.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

I'm not talking about the specs of the laptop. I'm talking about the display and it's controller. The fact it's a dirt cheap low end machine is even more a point to just getting random leftover crap they put in there and thus ending up with stuff that can handle more because it's probably older/leftover stuff being used from other devices.

I guess if it ever dies i can buy a controller board and use the screen as a 75hz monitor

Cause oc = free performance so ill just oc the shit out of whatever can be oced and benifit from oc

The laptop runs 75hz all the time actually and i havent noticed any issue with colour accuracy and stuff like that

Even my decade old syncmaster 743 cant even run 85hz

And yes i did delete dptf processor participant and yeet the power limits cause this thing was throttling to 1.9ghz, i wonder if it still throttles in linux tho but thats for when the laptop is no longer being used and not storing any important data