Frequent system freezes (no BSOD) on new system

steel1
Hello,

I have a new pc which is only a couple of weeks old. I'm experiencing a lot of system freezes, and they happen like this:
- Chrome (or whatever application i'm running, it's usually in chrome but can also happen in Spotify client etc) will start to lag, then become unresponsive, then the rest of the PC freezes up entirely. I can still move the mouse cursor but ctrl+alt+del doesnt work and i have to do push the reset button.

Pretty sure it's not related to heat, as it has never happened when i'm gaming and the temps are high, but only when in semi-idle mode, like watching youtube, or when i'm completely AFK - I come back to it and it has frozen/will freeze as soon as I do something in explorer or chrome, spotify etc.

Full system specs:
Mb: ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming Wifi
Main Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB M2 SSD
RAM: 64GB HyperX DDR4 3200MHz CL16
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
GPU: RTX 3070TI Zotac Trinity 8GB
PSU: Corsair RM850W (2019)

Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1110)

I have had these issues since day 1 or 2, so almost right away.

All drivers are up to date.
I have tried clean boot, still happens. 
I have run sfc, chkdsk and windows memory diagnostics, it found no errors. 

Please help me find a solution.

Try updating the BIOS

R9 5900X, Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240, Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2, 2x16GB Kingston FuryX 3800MHZ CL18 Hynix DJR "Tuned" , Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC, Windows 11

17 minutes ago, KnoT said:

Try updating the BIOS

I was gonna say I have the latest BIOS already, but I saw there was one from just over a week ago, so I just installed that (using the bios flbk usb thing, never did that before, interesting) and it installed without any issue so now to wait and see.

1 minute ago, steel1 said:

I was gonna say I have the latest BIOS already, but I saw there was one from just over a week ago, so I just installed that (using the bios flbk usb thing, never did that before, interesting) and it installed without any issue so now to wait and see.

You didn't list cooler you have so try monitoring temperatures as well

Highly recommend using: https://www.hwinfo.com/

R9 5900X, Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240, Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2, 2x16GB Kingston FuryX 3800MHZ CL18 Hynix DJR "Tuned" , Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC, Windows 11

16 minutes ago, KnoT said:

It's unlikely temps are related - these freezes occur either during minimal use (browsing, listening to music) or when completely AFK.  Yesterday I had a 12 hour long BFV session, temps were high, no freeze. Never had a freeze when gaming.

10 minutes ago, Heliian said:

Power state setting?  Drive sleeping? 

Been thinking about this, but I dont know what settings it could be? Power mode is set to "balanced"

38 minutes ago, KnoT said:

I'm using that program. My temps are about 65-75c CPU and 80-90c GPU when gaming.  

In idle its about 45C CPU and 50C GPU.

1 hour ago, steel1 said:

Been thinking about this, but I dont know what settings it could be? Power mode is set to "balanced"

Check the settings for the plan, try setting drive sleep to never. 

1 hour ago, steel1 said:

I'm using that program. My temps are about 65-75c CPU and 80-90c GPU when gaming.  

In idle its about 45C CPU and 50C GPU.

90C is quite hot for GPU unless you are talking about hotspot.

17 minutes ago, KnoT said:

90C is quite hot for GPU unless you are talking about hotspot.

i'm playing currently for 140 minutes, max temps reached are: 

82c GPU

90c Memory

92c hotspot

averaging around 75-85c i would say 

After updating BIOS last night, I attempted to recreate the latest crash, which was really just putting spotify on and going afk. About 4 hours later the PC was still running and had not frozen, so went to sleep. This morning, I found that the screen was black and the pc was completely unresponsive. This was different from before, where it would freeze in windows, but I could move the mouse. 

After rebooting also, the background wallpaper suddenly disappeared and was replaced with just black (not in safe mode). 

19 hours ago, Heliian said:

Check the settings for the plan, try setting drive sleep to never. 

Unfortunately, this did not help. I just had another freeze.

Also again after rebooting, the desktop wallpaper is black instead of my default. 

The freezes keep happening. I tried to not run the undervolt profile (read somewhere that undervolting can cause freezes when in idle, even though it shouldnt) and while the pc ran for a bit longer in idle without freezing, eventually when I got back from afk, the monitors were black and the pc was completely unresponsive...?