Router has gigabit ports but im not getting gigabit speeds

code99

So long story short, my ISP sent me a new router with wifi 6 and gigabit ports.

I've installed and configured it. Everything works fine. 

I have a 1Gigabit fiber optic connection.

On port 1 of the router, im getting the proper gigabit speed.

On other ports im not. Im only getting ~100Mbps

As far as i know all lan ports on this router should be gigabit. It says on the box and on the manufacturer page.

The router in question is a TP Link AX1500 Wi-Fi 6 Router

I have 2 pcs connected to it, both pcs have gigabit capable motherboards and proper drivers. 1 pc is connected to lan 1 and has gigabit, the other is connected to lan 2 and doesnt have gigabit.

Do i have to do something else to make this work? What could be the issue? Is it the cable?

are all the cables either CAT 6 or 7 Ethernet cable or better?

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

Go into Settings(Windows Settings, Win + I)>Network and Internet>Ethernet, and in the Properties section, what do you see as the link speed? To get Gigabit, it should be at least 1000/1000Mbps

image.png.1270d5ff4409a9f8035e50079a162026.png

Edited by RockSolid1106
Added the picture
On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

4 minutes ago, GorujoCY said:

are all the cables either CAT 6 or 7 Ethernet cable or better?

AFAIK, CAT5E too supports Gigabit

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

Just now, RockSolid1106 said:

yeah cat5E should work too...

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

5 minutes ago, RockSolid1106 said:

Go into Settings(Windows Settings, Win + I)>Network and Internet>Ethernet, and in the Properties section, what do you see as the link speed? To get Gigabit, it should be at least 1000/1000Mbps

On my main pc, it says 1000/1000Mbps

On the second pc it says 100/100Mbps

I also tried the other ports with my main pc, all ports are indeed gigabit

So its something with the second pc or the cable. No idea what type of cable it is tho

I just checked and on the cable itself it says "CAT5E"

But the connectors were wired by a friend a few years back ... maybe he wired them wrong?

2 minutes ago, code99 said:

But the connectors were wired by a friend a few years back ... maybe he wired them wrong?

Simple test, swap cables to check, if all hardware is gigabit capable and all settings are correct but speed is wrong then cable is most likely the suspect, whether wired incorrectly or a split/ frayed wire.

16 minutes ago, code99 said:

Gigabit requires all 4 pairs (8 wires) to be connected to function at gigabit speeds. If one wire isn't crimped properly on either end or a pair is incorrectly wired on one end then you drop to 100Mb instead

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

And also, for gigabit to work both ends need to support it, as does the cable. (Cat5E and up)

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Swap the cable, if working then problem is the connector.

If not working you go to your adapter settings, advance tab, Speed & Duplex, set it to 1gbps full duplex.

image.png.622ccfbbb5206ff27e284a3c7e3db550.png

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

34 minutes ago, RockSolid1106 said:

Cat5E, Cat6, Cat6a and Cat8.1 or Cat8.2 will all support gigabit and 2.5GbE up to 100m

Cat6 will support 10G up to 55m or 5G and below up to 100m

Cat6a will support 10G and below up to 100m

Cat8.1 will support 25GbE up to 30m

Cat8.2 will support 40GBE up to 30m

Cat7 isn't a recognized standard and calls for TERA connectors which are not compatible with RJ-45, therefor anything advertised as Cat7 is a lie.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Also make sure there is no dirt in the connectors. Its rare but can happen.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

On 7/26/2021 at 4:42 PM, code99 said:

On port 1 of the router, im getting the proper gigabit speed.

On other ports im not. Im only getting ~100Mbps

Have you solved it yet? Because in my router (different model/manufacturer than yours) there's this dumb ass "green mode" which limits individual ports to 100mbit instead of GBit. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Also, it's rare but not unheard of. 

image.png.76f7e46a6e3d3751b78a0493db179cc0.png

Look inside the connector on the computer or laptop with your eyes and make sure all those 8 pins are sitting properly in their "channels" and they have flexibility when you touch them. There's 8  "pins" inside a connector and they're like springs, they're designed to bend and raise like a spring when you insert the network jack in the connector. Sometimes when you insert a jack, one of those pins bends down too much and hops over the separator and stays in contact with another pin, creating a short.... or sometimes they don't snap back to make contact with the jack  

You can use a needle or some tweezers to individually test each contact inside the connector and to reposition it if needed. 

Also check the cable and the wire order, it does matter for 1 gbps speeds. Also make sure the actual "blades" inside the ethernet plug / jack are biting into the wires. Sometimes the blades loosen over time and no longer make good contact with the wire inside the jack.

Both ends of the cable should have the wires in the order listed below (either version is fine, as long as same version is used on both ends): 

image.png.f52d674d6c498dad70bc98db3825e02a.png

A cable that has first version on one end and the other version on the other end would be called a crossover cable for 100 mbps or lower ethernet cards. It's basically a cable that could be used to make a direct connection between two computers (two network cards), without a network hub or a switch between them. 

Only 100 mbps (and lower) network cards need this, and only 4 wires are changed on one end because 100 mbps network cards only use 4 wires in the cable (first 3 and the 6th). The 4th and 5th were sometimes used in offices as phone line to a person's desk, to skip on buying dedicated phone cable and 7th and 8th were often unused,

1 gbps network cards will auto detect that there's a direct connection between two cards and auto arrange the wires internally to make it work, so crossover cable doesn't need to be used.  A crossover cable could actually confuse them, because gigabit needs all 8 wires to work, so a crossover cable would only have half of its cable flipped and that's not right.