Laptop Started Stuttering out of nowhere

I have an HP laptop with an MX150 AND an intel i7-8550U with 16gb ram.

The other day I booted up Minecraft and i was getting heavy frame drops from 60 fps to 5 fps every 15 to 20 seconds. This pattern can be seen in other games I play like CS-GO, and the forest. I made sure to update all my drivers and even reinstalled all the games. However the very frequent fps drops are still happening and have rendered almost every game unplayable. I haven't installed or downloaded anything from when the laptop was preforming normally and when I started getting the stuttering. I also have replaced the thermal paste a few months ago which I do around once a year and the component's are sitting at their usual temperatures. So I'm lost at what the issue could be. any help is much appreciated 🙂

Also the GPU utilization is very low when shutters occur. And overall there is no spike in the GPU utilization when the frame drops happen. The CPU is also sitting at barely 30% utilization and boosting to around 3.8GHz.

Is it also happening in single player games with no internet connection? 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

11 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Is it also happening in single player games with no internet connection? 

Just Tested in csgo and minecraft with the wifi turned off and it's still happening

2 hours ago, Ru66ian said:

Just Tested in csgo and minecraft with the wifi turned off and it's still happening

So it’s not a lag thing. Actually something your computer itself is doing.  Something that just spontaneously starts happening doesn’t really occur with computers.  It means something changed.  Either that the user did not mention or that some outside entities, the isp, the game creator, or microsoft or the graphics card maker or the cpu maker, etc.. imposed.  Microsoft can and has updated things without telling anyone.  Haven’t seen a gpu maker do that yet, but they likely can.  The issue with stuttering internal to a computer is there can be a bajillion causes all of which have the same or very similar symptoms and some of which are not even affectable by the user (such as stuff the game company does with its own updates). When looking for causes that can be affected by the user the next big one on the list is is there an interfering program? so one checks HDD monitor or some such to see if anything else is running to rule out, say some web browser halting everything periodically to check something.  Next after that could be driver version fixes

In which I yammer on about why trying to fix a stutter sucks so hard and sometimes isn’t even possible.

Spoiler

Sometimes The cpu or GPU manufacturers, if they see something happening, can sometimes fix it with an update of their own.  Intel releases updates on a set schedule where as AMD doesn’t.  This means with an intel machine a stutter can crop up and then “spontaneously” go away in a month later with the new cpu software update which may not even be seen by the user. AMD is smaller and doesn’t have as much clout as intel so it doesn’t get catered to as much by various other companies so they have to be able to do more adjustment.  They release a lot more patches.  So another thing to check for is new driver versions.  With an AMD machine sometimes updating a driver if the version isn’t the newest one can make things disappear.  There can be various things that have to be done to go alon with that sometimes such a clearing CMOS or whatever.  Generally a dead fresh AMD instal works as good or better than an equivelant intel instal but AMD ages faster. This isn’t AMD, it’s that they aren’t as big or influential so they have to do more work.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

9 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

So it’s not a lag thing. Actually something your computer itself is doing.  Something that just spontaneously starts happening doesn’t really occur with computers.  It means something changed.  Either that the user did not mention or that some outside entities, the isp, the game creator, or microsoft or the graphics card maker or the cpu maker, etc.. imposed.  Microsoft can and has updated things without telling anyone.  Haven’t seen a gpu maker do that yet, but they likely can.  The issue with stuttering internal to a computer is there can be a bajillion causes all of which have the same or very similar symptoms and some of which are not even affectable by the user (such as stuff the game company does with its own updates). When looking for causes that can be affected by the user the next big one on the list is is there an interfering program? so one checks HDD monitor or some such to see if anything else is running to rule out, say some web browser halting everything periodically to check something.  Next after that could be driver version fixes

In which I yammer on about why trying to fix a stutter sucks so hard and sometimes isn’t even possible.

Reveal hidden contents

Sometimes The cpu or GPU manufacturers, if they see something happening, can sometimes fix it with an update of their own.  Intel releases updates on a set schedule where as AMD doesn’t.  This means with an intel machine a stutter can crop up and then “spontaneously” go away in a month later with the new cpu software update which may not even be seen by the user. AMD is smaller and doesn’t have as much clout as intel so it doesn’t get catered to as much by various other companies so they have to be able to do more adjustment.  They release a lot more patches.  So another thing to check for is new driver versions.  With an AMD machine sometimes updating a driver if the version isn’t the newest one can make things disappear.  There can be various things that have to be done to go alon with that sometimes such a clearing CMOS or whatever.  Generally a dead fresh AMD instal works as good or better than an equivelant intel instal but AMD ages faster. This isn’t AMD, it’s that they aren’t as big or influential so they have to do more work.

Also another weird thing I noticed. I was running task manager while walking around in Minecraft and the CPU speed was only at 1.4GHz and as soon as i closed Minecraft it went to it's normal boost speeds, but the CPU utilization was sitting at only around 15%. And the GPU was sitting at like 5% utilization. It's like when i launch games the components just don't do anything. I'm just very confused now, i have plenty of space left on my ssd, almost always over 8gb of headroom in ram. Like i don't understand lol

10 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Reveal hidden contents

OMG im so sorry for wasting your time. Turns out I was using my girlfriend's power brick which is from an hp chromebook. I mixed them up in my bag my brick is a 65W and hers is a 45W. Thank you for your time and replies  

1 hour ago, Ru66ian said:

OMG im so sorry for wasting your time. Turns out I was using my girlfriend's power brick which is from an hp chromebook. I mixed them up in my bag my brick is a 65W and hers is a 45W. Thank you for your time and replies  

No worries.  My time is pretty close to worthless.  Bright side it got figured out.