Vertically Mounted 3080 Ti in an NR200p w/ TG Panel - Temp concern

Go to solution Solved by Kinda Bottlenecked,
4 hours ago, FoodOcean said:

If I'm going to use the vented side panel, I might as well side mount the rad lol. I guess another option would be to rock a airtower cpu cooler and mounted GPU horizontally...

If you're going to go with a tower cooler, you can watch machines & more on how to optimize airflow

And these are the cooler options for the nr200p. 

I have a 5900x with the mugen 5 in the nr200p using the TG panel. My temps hit 90*C on the tdie and 91*C on the vrm with pbo and xmp when rendering. I have 5 arctic p12s mounted in the case. You'll definitely lose cooling performance going with a tower cooler unless its the noctua nhu-12a or c14s. 

I'd go vented side panel and side mounted rad(fans as intake) with the gpu at the bottom in your situation. 

Like the title suggests, I am currently rocking a vertically mounted 3080 Ti inside of an NR200p. At stock, underload, if recorded the GPU temps to be as high as 85+ degrees. After fiddling with he fan curve a bit (shown in attached image), I was able to get the load temps down between 75-80 degrees under load (depending on the game/benchmark) all be it with some significant fan noise. 

I know the 30-series cards are know to run HOT, but I feel that there is no reason foe it to be THAT hot. I currently have an MSI MAG 240 AIO on the bottom of the case as intake (don't worry, the pump is built into the rad), and 2 top fans working as exhaust. do you think rearranging the top fans to be intake will help with GPU thermals as to get some fresh are in the mix? or am I over reacting, and the temps aren't THAT bed?

Full disclosure: I am currently rocking the TG side panel rn and I KINDA want to keep it that way....but if there temps need addressing, I can't do such with my current configuration, I will just mount the GPU horizontally and mount the rad on the vented side panel as a last resort. I know that set up has been proved to be the superior in terms of airflow and performance, but its not as pretty to look at HAHA.

image.png

The Black Garnet

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x

MOBO: Asus Tuf X570 Gaming Pro (wifi)

RAM:  Crucial Ballistix 64GB Kit (2 x 32GB) DDR4-3600 CL-16

GPU: XFX Speedster MERC 319 AMD Radeon™ RX 6900 XT

CASE: Corsair 4000D Airflow (Black)

Boot: SSD: Samsung 980 PRO Internal NVMe 1TB
Storage: SSD: Crucial P5 Plus 2TB

Cooling: AIO: MSI MAG Core Liquid 240R

-Side mounted with TG

-Bottom rad intake 

Temps seems right with the setup you have 

If you want to improve temps, you can either use the filtered side panel or side mount your rad and have the gpu intaking fresh air from the bottom.

Else you can try top intake, bottom exhuast.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

1 hour ago, Kinda Bottlenecked said:

-Side mounted with TG

-Bottom rad intake 

Temps seems right with the setup you have 

If you want to improve temps, you can either use the filtered side panel or side mount your rad and have the gpu intaking fresh air from the bottom.

Else you can try top intake, bottom exhuast.

If I'm going to use the vented side panel, I might as well side mount the rad lol. I guess another option would be to rock a airtower cpu cooler and mounted GPU horizontally...

The Black Garnet

4 hours ago, FoodOcean said:

If you're going to go with a tower cooler, you can watch machines & more on how to optimize airflow

I have a 5900x with the mugen 5 in the nr200p using the TG panel. My temps hit 90*C on the tdie and 91*C on the vrm with pbo and xmp when rendering. I have 5 arctic p12s mounted in the case. You'll definitely lose cooling performance going with a tower cooler unless its the noctua nhu-12a or c14s. 

I'd go vented side panel and side mounted rad(fans as intake) with the gpu at the bottom in your situation. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

8 hours ago, Kinda Bottlenecked said:

Ya, I follow "Machines and More" on YouTube, head awesome! I was really hoping that I could get away with the TG and vertical GPU, but 85+ degrees under load is kinda high for my comfortability and the fan curve I'd need to nock it down below 80 is almost load enough to hear over headphones lol.

I guess I'll go vented side panel with side mounted rad for now....at least until I have the time and extra cashed to do a handlined loop

The Black Garnet

10 hours ago, Kinda Bottlenecked said:

just switched to a side mounted rad with vented panel and my gpu temps dropped to 73-75 degrees under load (with an acceptable amount of fan ramp and noise). That being said, my CPU temps have spiked from between 38-42 degrees idle to between 58-64 degrees...that CANT be normal, right?

Edit:

After a quick power cycle, and some patience, my CPU temps have dropped to between 45-50 degrees at idle. Still significantly hotter than before, but alot less concerning than a 20 degree increase . And not a bad trad of for 10+degree drop on GPU temps at max load, so I think I'm happy lol

The Black Garnet

Buy slim intake fans for bottom slots if there is room under the gpu. It makes a difference with 2070s, and 3080ti is about double the watts.

On 7/27/2021 at 1:06 AM, Jeppes said:

Buy slim intake fans for bottom slots if there is room under the gpu. It makes a difference with 2070s, and 3080ti is about double the watts.

I have enough room for full size fans under the GPU, are you saying I should put slim ones instead?

The Black Garnet

2 hours ago, FoodOcean said:

I have enough room for full size fans under the GPU, are you saying I should put slim ones instead?

No. Just thought all 3080ti:s would be too thick for normal fans when horizontally mount.

8 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

No. Just thought all 3080ti:s would be too thick for normal fans when horizontally mount.

They all run hot. Some brands more than others but you're going to be putting off some heat no matter what. 

Screenshots_2021-07-29-03-21-22.png

best thing you could do with these new rtx 3k thick coolers is to deshroud them and place 120mm fans underneath (if you're able to).

5 hours ago, Jeppes said:

I feel it! Surprisingly the EVGA X3C ULTRA is only a 2 slot card (which may be why thermals are so high lol) 

The Black Garnet

4 hours ago, Logans Gaming said:

They all run hot. Some brands more than others but you're going to be putting off some heat no matter what. 

Screenshots_2021-07-29-03-21-22.png

Oh boy....talk about your spicy meat ball lol. Would undervolting the GPU help reduce the temps?

The Black Garnet

2 hours ago, Kinda Bottlenecked said:

best thing you could do with these new rtx 3k thick coolers is to deshroud them and place 120mm fans underneath (if you're able to).

Would I need to connect the case fans to the GPU fan header directly?

The Black Garnet

14 hours ago, FoodOcean said:

Oh boy....talk about your spicy meat ball lol. Would undervolting the GPU help reduce the temps?

It helped but not by much. The thing that worked best was just taking off the side of the case but that's kind of dumb looking to put that much into all the parts and then ruin the look by leaving the case open. I just finally put out more money and water cooled the stupid thing. Lol