Curious why my benchmark scores are changing drastically

Henryjames989
Go to solution Solved by SkilledRebuilds,

Always REBOOT between failures and weirdness as DIRTYDATA can be paged to RAM and occur everytime until cleared.

You dont want the previous fail affecting your next pass.

So I had overclocked my xfx rx 580 from 1366/2000 to 1446/2000 just working on the core clock to get to the memory clock, and I had a bench of from the latter of 1496, then I upped the clock to 1466 then had artifacts and it crashed so I lowered the clock to 1456 and got a bad score then proceeded to 1451 and still got a bad score so I ended up going back to 1466 and it was a worse score by like 200, so I went to stock clock, and it was again about 200 less than it was, so why is it overall still lowered?

Always REBOOT between failures and weirdness as DIRTYDATA can be paged to RAM and occur everytime until cleared.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

25 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Oh alright, weirdness as in artifacts and like 2 3 second freeze frames?

1 hour ago, Henryjames989 said:

Oh alright, weirdness as in artifacts

What kind of artifact? Alien invaders or lens flare?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

3 hours ago, Henryjames989 said:

Oh alright, weirdness as in artifacts and like 2 3 second freeze frames?

Well uEngine Heaven and Valley stutter on their first or second run anyway so it really depends on the software you test eith and what is typical behaviour of the test.

Artifacts like shifting textures, assets, and also stuttering or outright freezing can happen.

Hardlocks, and freezing usually corresponds to Coreclocks and Texture shifts and dirty color pattern shifts and skews to the presented image can be both core and vram symptoms, usually vram for those errors, but core can produce some too.

But if you encounter a driver reset or artifacts, reboot and retry, not just retry without a reboot.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Is it thermally throttling hard on the higher clock speed runs? What voltage are you running? Typically with Polaris you want to drop core volts and up clocks at the same time. Anything above 1450 is pretty up there for an RX580, I usually ran mine around 1430 with an undervolt for the most stable core clocks which are more important when gaming. Who cares IF it can do 1450 or 1460 if it's then bumping thermal limits and dropping clocks/stuttering.